Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 02:45 PM

7,583 posts, read 6,051,038 times

Advertisements

OK City Data-ers

We just got back this AM from the cruise on the legend, traveling at a top speed of 17 knots which caused the itinerary to change, like we care...

I wanted to update on the ALL YOU CAN DRINK PROGRAM.
I ended up buying it, and overall, did not get my money's worth, at least in the beginning.
What happens is, you pay out a total of $356 for the week (including tips) And you can have any $10 or less adult beverage, up to 10 a day, whenever you want.
Problem is, if you drink beer, you are losing money. Beer is the cheapest alcoholic drink on the ship. If you drink specialty mix drinks, they run 7.75 to 9.50 each, BUT I tried that the first day and made myself queasy. After that I tried beer, but beer is cheap. Not worth buying the all you can drink package if you plan to just drink beer.
SO, last three days, I ended up sticking with the red wine, a Cabernet at $9 a glass, very delicious, and a 9.75 Remy Martin Cognac, after dinner two nights. On these days, I went well over the 50/day prepaid limit, reaching 63.75, meaning I came out way ahead on those days. On days I drank my favorite Guinness, I only got up to about $30. So live and learn.

Some things were different on the cruise. The Pizza stand, normally the disappointing area, has been given a new recipe, and they could not make pizza fast enough to keep up with the demand. I heard no negative comments from anyone about the pizza. It was very tasty.
The overall menu at dinner seemed a bit more lame compared to carnival ships in the past, not quite as exciting as I have found before. I also have to avoid red meat and all the good high cholesterol things like Lobster, so that may have been art of it.
Service was overall good. The ship moved slow, but we made our stops on time, had fun, and were home in time this AM. Employees were , as always, accommodating and friendly.
I have a feeling though that the Legend will forever be a crippled ship, and I wonder if that azipod will ever be fixed; perhaps they will end up setting it in a shipyard for a few weeks and having it replaced. The Legend does go toe Europe for the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 01:53 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,447,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
OK City Data-ers

We just got back this AM from the cruise on the legend, traveling at a top speed of 17 knots which caused the itinerary to change, like we care...

I wanted to update on the ALL YOU CAN DRINK PROGRAM.
I ended up buying it, and overall, did not get my money's worth, at least in the beginning.
What happens is, you pay out a total of $356 for the week (including tips) And you can have any $10 or less adult beverage, up to 10 a day, whenever you want.
Problem is, if you drink beer, you are losing money. Beer is the cheapest alcoholic drink on the ship. If you drink specialty mix drinks, they run 7.75 to 9.50 each, BUT I tried that the first day and made myself queasy. After that I tried beer, but beer is cheap. Not worth buying the all you can drink package if you plan to just drink beer.
SO, last three days, I ended up sticking with the red wine, a Cabernet at $9 a glass, very delicious, and a 9.75 Remy Martin Cognac, after dinner two nights. On these days, I went well over the 50/day prepaid limit, reaching 63.75, meaning I came out way ahead on those days. On days I drank my favorite Guinness, I only got up to about $30. So live and learn.

Some things were different on the cruise. The Pizza stand, normally the disappointing area, has been given a new recipe, and they could not make pizza fast enough to keep up with the demand. I heard no negative comments from anyone about the pizza. It was very tasty.
The overall menu at dinner seemed a bit more lame compared to carnival ships in the past, not quite as exciting as I have found before. I also have to avoid red meat and all the good high cholesterol things like Lobster, so that may have been art of it.
Service was overall good. The ship moved slow, but we made our stops on time, had fun, and were home in time this AM. Employees were , as always, accommodating and friendly.
I have a feeling though that the Legend will forever be a crippled ship, and I wonder if that azipod will ever be fixed; perhaps they will end up setting it in a shipyard for a few weeks and having it replaced. The Legend does go toe Europe for the summer.
Thanks for the update. As for the liquor package, I tried to justify it when we did our NCL cruise 3 months ago. I just couldn't. NCL does have a new wine package that is excellent for true wine drinkers.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:58 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,931,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Thanks for the update. As for the liquor package, I tried to justify it when we did our NCL cruise 3 months ago. I just couldn't. NCL does have a new wine package that is excellent for true wine drinkers.
"True wine drinkers" wouldn't be caught dead drinking the wines on that list.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:12 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,950,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
...Service was overall good. The ship moved slow, but we made our stops on time, had fun, and were home in time this AM. Employees were , as always, accommodating and friendly.
had done a lot of research on the Celebrity Pods while waiting for a Millenium cruise back in '07 as they were hampering and cancelling many of that class of ships' itineraries around that time. Think they eventually got them to a much more reliable state but it was (and probably still is) a contentious relationship with the cruise line and the mfg. (Rolls Royce?) of the pod. I believe the cruise line was forced to operate the pods as provided and wait for failure/warranty repair or eat the cost of new pods. Don't know if a similar situation exists with this particular ship but these pods seem inherrently unreliable. They appear to like them because they are very manueverable, provide a smoother ride and do not require long drive shafts that take up valuable room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises