Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 08:03 PM

810 posts, read 661,718 times

Advertisements

river cruise= old people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 09:33 AM

11,138 posts, read 15,910,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Fuel for cars is expensive, Diesel for trucks is not, and Fuel for airplanes or ships is plain cheap. I can fly from Amsterdam to Lisbon for less than 100 euro, roundtrip.... The same distance in the US costs 400 dollars.... Explain that to me. Also, cars in Europe get great mileage. A pickup truck sets you 50 K back.... that is expensive....
I'd be happy to.

The price of a flight in the U.S. has very little to do with the price of fuel, and much more to do with how popular the route is and whether it is an airline hub.

For example, flying from Miami to NYC is about the same distance as Amsterdam to Lisbon and costs $170 r/t., (depending on the day of course; I looked at 7/18-7/25) less than half your suggested $400. And that's without a sale in progress. Moreover, it costs considerably more to fly from Miami to Pensacola, FL ($302) on the same days than it does to fly from Miami to New York, so that blows your theory that price is determined by distance completely out of the water.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:57 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,140,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
river cruise= old people
Let's just say what do you mean my old? Do you mean river cruising isn't for the young party crowd? If so, you are right. If you mean lots of people in their 70s and 80s cruising on river cruises, you are wrong. They, as said are geared to seeing cities, they are very port intensive and require a lot of walking, thus making it not a good choice for anyone with any mobility problems. More and more younger and middle aged people are choosing river cruising. That is if they have the funds. It is much more expensive than cruising on a large, ocean liner. I have to wonder, where did you get the idea it was for old people? People of all ages what the chance to see many places, all in a week or so and have the disposable income to consider River cruising.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:24 AM

14,284 posts, read 14,521,182 times
I should move on but I really get irritated by the generalization of people posting about certain cruises, cruise lines, too many kids, too many old people, etc.! How about expanding horizons and being open to all type of situations and people?

Old 06-29-2017, 07:48 AM

10,297 posts, read 7,884,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I should move on but I really get irritated by the generalization of people posting about certain cruises, cruise lines, too many kids, too many old people, etc.! How about expanding horizons and being open to all type of situations and people?
Yes, you should move on. The generalizations are there because there is some truth to them: different cruise lines are marketed to and attract different sorts of clientele, and there's nothing wrong with that. And I'm not the slightest bit ashamed of admitting that on MY VACATION there are certain types of people I'd rather avoid because I don't enjoy being around them (in my case, that would be the "party crowd" and young children). I'm not going to spoil MY VACATION by cruising on a line where there is a good chance I will not enjoy the experience. Most people are similar, and I hope they find the right cruise line for them so they enjoy the trip they've paid a lot of money to go on.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:20 PM

810 posts, read 661,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Let's just say what do you mean my old? Do you mean river cruising isn't for the young party crowd? If so, you are right. If you mean lots of people in their 70s and 80s cruising on river cruises, you are wrong. They, as said are geared to seeing cities, they are very port intensive and require a lot of walking, thus making it not a good choice for anyone with any mobility problems. More and more younger and middle aged people are choosing river cruising. That is if they have the funds. It is much more expensive than cruising on a large, ocean liner. I have to wonder, where did you get the idea it was for old people? People of all ages what the chance to see many places, all in a week or so and have the disposable income to consider River cruising.
My in-laws are old. They do river cruises. Their friends, whom are also elderly, do too. Their photos reveal that the vast majority of passengers have gray or white heads of hair. I'm not saying river cruises are restricted to the elderly but I saw a Viking river cruise commercial earlier today and it's clear this is who they are trying to target. Nothing wrong with that BTW..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises