Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 05:49 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,245,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Have done it a couple times in Thailand. Once on a Chinese junk, the other on a catamaran. Both were crewed charters. Both times came out to around $800-1000 per day. Would imagine it costing a little more in the US.
you are probably pretty close. I would say, around $10,000 depending on what you would want covered? all meal preps, sight seeing, small ports for enjoyment or strictly sailing for 7 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 04:37 PM

2,923 posts, read 5,590,433 times
Always amazes me how expensive charters can be, even bareboat charters are out of reach for me. Have only been able to do it when large groups of friends have organized it. I mean for example one of my friends last year purchased a 45' trimaran for around $10, 000. Now granted he's put in an additional $20, 000 or so and at least 1000 man hours to make it more suitable for bluewater passages and it still looks like a piece of junk compared to the majority of boats in the charter fleets but it's functional and freakin huge interior.

One of my life goals has been to eventually do the coconut throw the south pacific. But have always considered cruising too expensive of a hobby to seriously get into. Guess I'll just be stuck doing coastal california cruising in my friends crappy 40 yr old pocket cruisers foe eternity.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:37 PM

861 posts, read 1,143,608 times
Google "New England Fall crewed sailboat charters" and you will find a number of companies that offer sailboat charters. Six of us went to the Virgin Islands 30 years ago and it ws the best vacation ever. They had to drag me off the boat after the week was up.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:09 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,245,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
Google "New England Fall crewed sailboat charters" and you will find a number of companies that offer sailboat charters. Six of us went to the Virgin Islands 30 years ago and it ws the best vacation ever. They had to drag me off the boat after the week was up.
I guess it shows how different people are: our daughter and sil paid a hell of lot for their's and didn't really enjoy it, even though it appeared to be something right up their alley!!!

Old 09-13-2013, 12:46 PM

861 posts, read 1,143,608 times
I would charter a sailboat again in a heartbeat if I could find the right people to share it with. You are confined to a pretty small area and everyone needs to be compatible. One bad personality would cause a week of torture. If it weren't so pricey for just a couple to charter a boat, I would do that and take my chances with the captain and cook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises