Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Generally cruise prices don't drop until 30-60 days out, with the best prices being around two weeks out.

You might consider booking flights to a central point in Florida (Orlando) and waiting to book the cruise until about a month out, looking at MIA, FLL, PC, TPA, and JAX as ports. The chances of not getting a deal on a cruise from one of those ports on a given week in September are slim. Book a hotel room that can be cancelled, and if you can't find a cruise, just spend the week in Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 10:50 AM

170 posts, read 133,919 times
Are you a member of Costco? I use them all the time and get a better rate than the cruise lines. But Costco does not sell Carnival.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:08 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,753,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondu54 View Post
Are you a member of Costco? I use them all the time and get a better rate than the cruise lines. But Costco does not sell Carnival.
Costco???? I wonder if Sam's Club does the same thing LOL

Old 06-11-2014, 02:58 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Costco???? I wonder if Sam's Club does the same thing LOL
Yes, but you need to buy the cruises by the case....

Old 06-14-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
yes, but you need to buy the cruises by the case....
lol! :d

Old 08-06-2014, 12:45 PM

836 posts, read 1,032,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Go to vacationstogo.com and look at the 90 day ticker on the left side of the page. Lots of bargains on Carnival. There is one that's 7 days for $289. You just don't get much cheaper than that. I have booked thru these folks several times with no problems.
I just learned about this site yesterday. The 90 day ticker is so ridiculously cheap!! I really want to cruise sometime next year after I move and not saving every penny I can lol

Old 08-06-2014, 12:50 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
I just learned about this site yesterday. The 90 day ticker is so ridiculously cheap!! I really want to cruise sometime next year after I move and not saving every penny I can lol
They are a great deal. You will have a ball. Me personally, I always get the cheapest cabin available. Inside is fine. It's nice and dark so I can nap any time I please! After all, they all get to port at the same time and share all the amenities shipboard. But they usually have great deals on balconies and suites too.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:49 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
Yes, but remember that price is PER PERSON, not per cabin. It does NOT include taxes, port fees, and usually does not include daily service charges (tips - typically $12/day/per person), alcohol, soda, bottled water, port tours, dining in specialty restaurants.

Cruising can be very economical, and we nearly always sail inside cabins to save money. But remember that there WILL be additional expenses and budget accordingly.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
They are a great deal. You will have a ball. Me personally, I always get the cheapest cabin available. Inside is fine. It's nice and dark so I can nap any time I please! After all, they all get to port at the same time and share all the amenities shipboard. But they usually have great deals on balconies and suites too.
Actually they don't share all the amenities on board on some ships.

I'd add that some of the cheapest cruises don't even offer basics like conditioner and hand lotion in some cabins, and the shampoo and shower gel are in a dispenser on the wall--like you'd find in a public rest room.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yes, but remember that price is PER PERSON, not per cabin. It does NOT include taxes, port fees, and usually does not include daily service charges (tips - typically $12/day/per person), alcohol, soda, bottled water, port tours, dining in specialty restaurants.

Cruising can be very economical, and we nearly always sail inside cabins to save money. But remember that there WILL be additional expenses and budget accordingly.
Good advice. Even without alcohol, soda, or bottled water, the port charges, taxes, and service fees can add up to equal the base price of some cruises.

Also factor in the cost or getting to the port including fuel, tolls, parking, airfare, transfers, and in some cases a hotel room the night before. Those costs can actually end up higher than the base fare with taxes, port charges, and service fees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises