Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 09:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

nj mentioned NCL, and Op you are talking Carnival: as first time cruisers and very young both lines would work well for you. You might check into cruises out of New Orleans, Galveston and Houston: both lines do these 2 embarkation ports. They would be a little closer than Miami. Which line would work best for you depends on how casual you want to go. If you prefer not dressing up at all NCL would be the better choice, if you want a night or two for more formal dressing try Carnival. I am not a huge Carnival lover, but for young singles it is just fine. I would check prices and itinerary: then decide.

You will pay a little more that time of year I will add, but you seem to be aware of that.

If you said out of New Orleans or Texas you will be sailing the western Caribbean which is the best itinerary for snorkeling and scuba diving. For sight seeing out of Miami is a little better.

Which line for you: just do some checking, be careful of booking with an online agency your first time out. You really need to deal with a live person. I know you have a lot of questions.

Remember you have to have either birth certificates or proof of citizenship. The passport way is by far the best.

Just one more bit of advise: it is always a good idea to fly into the port of embarkation the day before sailing, especially when you are cruising during the winter months. This way, if something goes wrong you will be able to have time to adjust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 09:33 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Agree that a passport is a much better option. You will probably travel a lot more over the next 10 years--most likely to places that require one, so might as well get it now. I also agree that it would be a wise idea to fly in the day before your ship leaves.

You could also look at Puerto Rico as a port for a southern Caribbean route--which will be warmer in the winter.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:55 PM

90 posts, read 262,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
nj mentioned NCL, and Op you are talking Carnival: as first time cruisers and very young both lines would work well for you. You might check into cruises out of New Orleans, Galveston and Houston: both lines do these 2 embarkation ports. They would be a little closer than Miami. Which line would work best for you depends on how casual you want to go. If you prefer not dressing up at all NCL would be the better choice, if you want a night or two for more formal dressing try Carnival. I am not a huge Carnival lover, but for young singles it is just fine. I would check prices and itinerary: then decide.

You will pay a little more that time of year I will add, but you seem to be aware of that.

If you said out of New Orleans or Texas you will be sailing the western Caribbean which is the best itinerary for snorkeling and scuba diving. For sight seeing out of Miami is a little better.

Which line for you: just do some checking, be careful of booking with an online agency your first time out. You really need to deal with a live person. I know you have a lot of questions.

Remember you have to have either birth certificates or proof of citizenship. The passport way is by far the best.

Just one more bit of advise: it is always a good idea to fly into the port of embarkation the day before sailing, especially when you are cruising during the winter months. This way, if something goes wrong you will be able to have time to adjust.

Thank you!
Definitely going to get a passport. How long does that generally take to get? I've never had to get one before.
My plans are pretty much open, as far as where to fly down south. So if it was up to you, would you fly to Miami, New Orleans or Texas? We are going to do Western Caribbean, Eastern Caribbean, or southern Caribbean. What is the best in your opinion?

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanCarlson13 View Post
Thank you!
Definitely going to get a passport. How long does that generally take to get? I've never had to get one before.
My plans are pretty much open, as far as where to fly down south. So if it was up to you, would you fly to Miami, New Orleans or Texas? We are going to do Western Caribbean, Eastern Caribbean, or southern Caribbean. What is the best in your opinion?

Thanks!
I just renewed mine and it was about five weeks. For a first one add a couple.

I would look at sample airfares to those three cities plus Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, and Orlando and whichever two are the lowest, then look for cruises from their respective ports (Galveston for Houston and Port Canaveral for Orlando.) I have a feeling that from your location there could be some stratospherically high airfare for some of those destinations. Check Jet Blue and Southwest independently, as they don't scrape into the typical online agencies like Expedia and Orbitz.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:47 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Thank you!

Thanks!
I would first check the airfare into each city that has a port, then go from there. You will be flying over the Christmas/New Year's holidays when airfare is at it's peak. Air to anywhere in FL that time of year is going to be expensive.

If I had to fly I would fly to New Orleans and take a western carib cruise making sure I had a few days pre or post cruise to enjoy New Orleans during the holiday season, but that's me, others I'm sure would do something different.

Passports for first time I would allow 6-8 weeks, so I would apply as soon as possible, but for the cruise you don't have to have it, just don't be left behind by ship or you could have an issue with out a passport.
I have one and on cruises I always carry it when going into port, many don't but I do, or at least a copy of it.

Norwegian Cruise Line&nbsp Passport Requirements for Cruises

Carnival Cruise Lines&nbsp Passport Requirements for Cruises

Old 07-24-2014, 06:54 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Also coming from Fargo ND don't rule out crusing from Los Angeles
Carnival has a 5 day cruise from LA down to Baja Mexico, which is stunning!!

Book a Mexico Cruise | Carnival Cruise Lines

Old 07-26-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Thank you!

Thanks!
a passport will take just about a month to get. I would apply asap, just to make sure you have it when needed. They are good for 10 years.

As for three choices: If you want to do the southern or eastern you will fly in and out of Miami for sure. You can do the Western out of any of the embarkation ports. If you decide to do western I would probably choose Texas, but that is just a personal feeling. New Orleans can be a fun place to spend a day or so prior to cruising. It just isn't my favorite place.

Depending on what you want to do will determine which destination is best:

The western is best for water activities including scuba diving and snorkeling.
The Eastern if you want to shop and want to see some great scenery
The Southern for a mixture of everything, shopping and islands that are a little different from each other.
For a first cruise you can't go wrong whichever you choose.

also I will add, which a lot of people do not know Houston now has its own almost brand new port. Some lines go out of Galveston and some out of Houston. Carnival goes out of Galveston and I know NCL goes out of Houston for starters.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Also coming from Fargo ND don't rule out crusing from Los Angeles
Carnival has a 5 day cruise from LA down to Baja Mexico, which is stunning!!

Book a Mexico Cruise | Carnival Cruise Lines
you do bring up another possibility. The problem, I think he mentioned snorkeling and the Mex Riviera isn't as good for snorkeling. In fact it probably isn't really good at all. Yes, Cabo is a beautiful place. The rest of the west coast of Mexico really doesn't do much for me, but the cruises usually are less expensive from Los Angeles.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:29 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
We went to Hawaii in December on Princess, had a blast, no passport needed.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
a passport will take just about a month to get.
First time passports are currently taking 6-8 weeks. I just renewed mine--with express mail in both directions it took five weeks to the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises