U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:48 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,135,254 times

Advertisements

Metla, quit being such a winer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 12:34 PM

4,807 posts, read 12,000,789 times
Why would anyone care what I want to do on my vacation?
You are too high up in the air to fish so screw a cruise.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:54 PM

145 posts, read 794,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Yes, more and more people are cruising than ever before but still the majority of people have not gone on a cruise. I wonder why. If you go on a low priced cruise that is on sale you can take a week long vacation for under $800 a week. It includes all the food you can eat that tastes pretty good and some great entertainment and many interesting ports of call.

If you have not been on a cruise, why not?
$800 per person maybe, but consider a family of 4 ... $3200 for one week. Thats a little pricey in my book.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:15 PM

4,807 posts, read 12,000,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corel View Post
$800 per person maybe, but consider a family of 4 ... $3200 for one week. Thats a little pricey in my book.
and I am sure there are plenty of costs beyond the $800....

Old 01-10-2008, 01:41 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,286,146 times
Default read this whole thread

b/c my mother refuses to cruise, LOL. I wanted to see what others have to say about it as I have heard all her criticisms.

DH and I enjoy cruising at least once a year. We also go on all sorts of other trips here in the USA. We try to go to Europe every few years as well. One of the trips we are dreaming of is to choose some areas in Alaska and spend enuff time to really enjoy exploring . . .

We just got back from a stint to Orlando. Six days cost us considerably more than cruising out of Pt. Canveral for 7 days. We enjoy sitting on Caribbean beaches . . . a new one every day . . . and just vegetating. We cruise to relax, not to explore a thing except every beach we can hit . . . just sit and stare at the beautiful water, undulating in shades of blue and green . . . it is a total get-away for us. No cell phones, fax machines, conference calls. No rushing to meetings or to meet a deadline! Someone else fixing our food. Unpack and go to sleep as the ship rocks, LOL!

Now that is not for everyone! And it is not for us for every vacation. We get a big giggle out of my mother's protestations about cruising, seeing as how she has never been on a cruise! Here they are:

It is one big cattle call; too regimented; boring; who cares about the entertainment; all you do is eat; crowded pools; not enuff time at ports; too expensive; boring/uncouth/loud people; claustrophobic; lines

Well, that is at least part of her list. We find this amusing as we get a balcony room and rarely venture out! We have never been to any "entertainment" - EVER. On any cruise! We do not use the pool. We do not care if we even speak to anyone else on the ship. Whenever we have had conversations, people have been quite polite.

We sometimes skip meals; we order room service at times. We sit on our balcony and read and drink coffee. We don't care how crowded the ship is b/c we are not out and about on the ship, LOL. We feel totally private in our own space. There could be 50 people on the ship or 5000 - we rarely are in a crowd. When we choose to eat in the dining room, we usually request a table for two and get it (ahead of time). If we have dinner companions, we are polite but we are not looking for new friends so if no one speaks - okay with us!

So, for us, cruising is a terrific getaway. But it doesn't have to be an "either/or" proposition! We also trek all over this country and Europe as well. Just b/c a person enjoys cruising, it doesn't mean he/she doesn't enjoy other types of vacations as well . . . and for those of you who think it is "mindless" - yeah - we agree! That is why we like it so much! To get away from our stressful jobs - something mindless is often exactly what we want! We enjoy catching up on our reading and just watching the waves go by.

For those of you who don't enjoy it - don't do it! That is what I tell my mother. What I don't understand, however, is why she (and others like her) get so hostile about the fact that DH and I do enjoy cruising. We say - to each his own! Spend your time and your dollars in a way you enjoy. We do!

Old 01-12-2008, 05:34 AM

5,382 posts, read 13,008,277 times
I've traveled extensively in my lifetime but never had the desire to take a cruise.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:03 AM

419 posts, read 1,848,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I've traveled extensively in my lifetime but never had the desire to take a cruise.
I talked to many people who were taken kicking and screaming on the cruise and for the first few days they told everyone who would listen how much they hated it, then by the third day started to love it and then could not wait until they went on another cruise.

More and more people are cruising and enjoying it every year.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:51 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,493,536 times
I would never consider taking a cruise even if I won the lottery.
Somehow the cruises ads of showing cruise goers dressed in gowns and suits aboard a cruise is not my "cup of tea"
If I want to spend a vacation enjoying warm weather, water, tropical places , etc.--------a suit and tie (or tux) is the thing I never will pack.---------"captain's dinner" or whatever.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:12 AM

4,723 posts, read 13,943,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I would never consider taking a cruise even if I won the lottery.
Somehow the cruises ads of showing cruise goers dressed in gowns and suits aboard a cruise is not my "cup of tea"
If I want to spend a vacation enjoying warm weather, water, tropical places , etc.--------a suit and tie (or tux) is the thing I never will pack.---------"captain's dinner" or whatever.
Never been on one of those cruises. Its always been casual on all the cruises, Norwegian, Royal, Disney lines. i dont think that tux rule is used very often now ,certainly with all the family cruises.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:46 AM

3,774 posts, read 10,079,670 times
hmmm, let me see. Cruises. I live in Anchorage. Summer capital of tourism in South Central Alaska. I can not get to the airport less than the 2 hours recommended by the airlines because the lines are longer than any other time throughout the year. You land and attempt to make your way through to the baggage claim.

At the bottom of the escalator is a Bright and Cheerful College Student holding a sign: (insert Cruise Line name here). They snag between 100-200 people off of the plane, shoehorn them into the buses crowding the curb, and then have them sit while waiting having other Bright and Cheerful College Students grab all of the luggage they can find. After loading said luggage onto the buses, they disappear into tourist heaven, where I only see them clogging up the three highways out of town. Buses and RV's are not the bane of my existence in Alaskan summer, and if I run into a tourist along the road, and pass the time with them, they are almost always pleasant company. But my God, I wish that they would use the turnouts. Rubbernecking, stopping, crossing highways on FOOT? Please understand, Xa'at and Met are dealing with a doubling of their town's populations and it strains the infrastructure of said towns. Cruise ships pollute the waters and say, "It's international waters, why do you care?"

I have only to worry about my blood pressure while watching the Bright and Cheerful Outsiders here for the summer spout off the regugitated pablum force fed to them by an industry that doesn't care that their customers get a Disneyesque view of Alaska.

A few of us folks actually DO live here. We raise families, fish, farm, work, worship, buy groceries, watch the tube, etc. We might not mind the visitors, we might even reach an accomodation with the cruise lines (don't hold your breath!), but we will always make our living as we always have, come cruise ship high water or hell.

And when the cruise ships and RV's leave for the winter, come September, we will settle in for our long, dark teatime of the soul that we call life. Winter. If you want to see the real Alaska, visit us in that dark tunnel. See us at our best, Alaskan with Alaskan, no rushes, no worries and most of all, fewer Outsiders telling us what we SHOULD be doing with our state. We enjoy tourists, most of us. They're great folks individually. In the aggregate, when hundreds and thousands pour into small communities, they take on the aspect of a mob or the Visigoths pillaging Rome. Meet us one on one, please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises