U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 11:12 AM

21,806 posts, read 27,830,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
BTW I do know about the oil royalty.
How nice for you. But what you obviously didn't know was that the oil revenues are the source of the dividend and were deluding yourself that the taxes from the trinkets that the tourists buy were the source. And as I've stated, I don't get the dividend. I don't need it.

Thanks for making my day, by the way. It's good to have a reminder at this time of the year that this summer, I'll be nowhere near the cruise ship docks. Neither will most people who actually live here.

I don't believe that either Xa'at are I are in need of your kind good luck wishes concerning our respective futures, but thanks for the sentiment anyway. Neither one of us have any ties to the cruise ship industry so we'll be just fine.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-09-2008 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 04:23 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,126,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't believe that either Xa'at are I are in need of your kind good luck wishes concerning our respective futures, but thanks for the sentiment anyway. Neither one of us have any ties to the cruise ship industry so we'll be just fine.
Very true. I look forward to a rich and fulfilling cruise-less life. Also, I'm taking a full time position as a "realist"- known to outsiders as a sour grape. It's all semantics, really.
Well, I'm off to go for a short hike out in the beautiful Alaskan wilderness where cruisers daren't travel. Seeya!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:02 PM

How was the hike, Xa'at? Good to be back?

I'm laid up with a sprained ankle or some such bs--gives me time to lament my bleak future.

However am I going to cope with the bleakness of having the access to the best food in the world, the ability to travel at my own whim, and the ability to send the offspring to one of the best schools in the country...if someone knows of a support group out there for people with the same afflictions...let me know. I'm barely holding on.

Maybe those ships will get here soon and save me.

ffs.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
How was the hike, Xa'at? Good to be back?

I'm laid up with a sprained ankle or some such bs--gives me time to lament my bleak future.

However am I going to cope with the bleakness of having the access to the best food in the world, the ability to travel at my own whim, and the ability to send the offspring to one of the best schools in the country...if someone knows of a support group out there for people with the same afflictions...let me know. I'm barely holding on.

Maybe those ships will get here soon and save me.

ffs.
Haha, I slipped and fell on the freaking ice... one, two, three... times. My derrière hurts!
But, I had a great hike otherwise. Took this picture:

Old 01-09-2008, 11:01 PM

Beautiful--we have snow on POW now too.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:23 PM

This amused me for a while. Just laying abandoned on the beach...

Old 01-10-2008, 12:17 AM

39,527 posts, read 47,687,050 times
"quote Meklakatla": Neither one of us have any ties to the cruise ship industry so we'll be just fine.
"quote Meklakatla;" At one time I worked for Princess....

Isn't this kinda hypocritical of you.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:51 AM

Yeah, at one time I worked for Princess. It wasn't a bad deal at the time and I have no regrets concerning that.

Quote:
Not really. The key words here are "used to". And I worked in the resort division, hundreds of miles from the cruise ship docks. I took the job because I was homesick for Denali, but couldn't see it as a long term career. I worked for them for one season, as an adventure; I've always had very strong ties to the Upper Susitna Valley and my job there functioned as a working vacation.

It really did open up my eyes though to the cruise ship industry. I felt really bad for the people I met who had paid a lot of money to Princess and were basically herded around like cattle.

As far as the people themselves, I can say that there is a world of difference between the tourists who do the land tours and the ones who only do the ships.

Maybe they are more well traveled in general, and perhaps had more of an interest in seeing the North...rather than just gorging themselves on the ship and venturing out a couple of blocks in the port cities.

At any rate, 4 months of work several years ago hardly constitutes a tie to the cruise ship industry....although working at the resort was enjoyable in it's own right, it isn't sustainable employment for a year round resident here. Those jobs are better taken by retirees and students, as I've stated before. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to experience Alaska while working, but I would also advise them to go for the jobs not located in the port cities.

My family is in the wild seafood processing business. We get literally no cruise ship dollars. We don't need them. And when the trinket hawkers are gone from the port cities...we'll still be here. We were here before they came, after all; it's an old, well established business that is not based on a false economy.

I'll never divulge the name of the business here, but our products are featured in Balducci's in Manhattan should you care to try them out. Gourmet magazine also did a nice little write up on us.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-10-2008 at 01:37 AM..

Old 01-10-2008, 04:44 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,012,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
"quote Meklakatla": Neither one of us have any ties to the cruise ship industry so we'll be just fine.
"quote Meklakatla;" At one time I worked for Princess....

So she should have a pretty good idea of how things work and be better informed about cruise practices then ?!

I worked on a cruise ship to once and I agree with all the people pointing out all the social and environmental effects.
I would never go on a cruise, ever. A small sailing-boat cruise yes , a cruise-ship never.

I can't think of anything so culturally barren, boring and bland as an experience.

Cruise-ships in my opinion are monstrosities and environmental nightmares. Plus it has nothing to do with travelling whatsoever. I realise people like us may be in the minority and to you as such our views are to be considered "sour grapes" but I assume we are still entitled to our opinions ?

People love to be entertained rather than having to make any efforts such as visiting countries with respect and having more cultural and environmental awareness. Some people's idea of heaven ( a few hours ashore/ all you can eat buffets/never meeting the locals/24hr a day entertainment etc.. ) is my idea of hell.
If Dante had known cruise-ships I am sure his "circles of Hell" would have included cruising...

We get it though, you and thousands love it, we don't . What's the big deal.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:43 AM

Oh no, not sour grapes:

Climate Change May Bring Sour Grapes, Study Finds Global Warming Could Devastate U.S. Wine Industry - CBS News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises