Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 08:49 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times

Advertisements

We just booked an Amsterdam to Budapest Viking River Cruise for Spring 2016. Travel Insurance for the trip (2 people) is $1800. Yipes! Is it worth it? Are there cheaper providers of Travel insurance? The cancellation policy is 100% loss of money if cancelled 60 days before the trip so that's why we are considering it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 08:53 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Is the Policy from Viking?

Generally policy you buy on your own, have better terms, and are cheaper.

I;ve heard good things about: Travel Insurance | Allianz Travel Insurance
and https://www.squaremouth.com/103

Old 05-22-2015, 12:04 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Yes, it's worth it. Not so much for the trip cancellation - but for the medical expense coverage in case you get sick over there. Even more so if you need emergency evacuation. (I don't know of any US based health insurers that cover medical expense out of the country. Medicare does not. Life threatening emergencies may have some coverage, but only to the point of getting you stabilized.)

We don't buy trip insurance through the company providing the trip. That's nearly always more expensive. Allianz has a good reputation. Travel Insurance: Compare 100+ Plans & 25,000+ Reviews is a GREAT resource.

Remember that you MUST MUST MUST purchase your insurance within 14 days of booking to eliminate pre existing conditions. Read the small print before you buy anything - some policies eliminate pre existing conditions entirely.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:28 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,591,427 times
You might also want to check out insuremytrip.com They have lots of different choices and an easy way to compare.

Whatever you do, don't leave home without it!

Old 05-22-2015, 08:48 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
We've balked at the high price of insurance on our last two cruises and simply skipped it. One more cruise without insurance and we'll pay for the cruise.

We ran into some folks aboard our last cruise that were buying full trip insurance for half our quoted rate. I'll see if I can locate the address, but, it is available. Otherwise, the rate is ridiculous.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:26 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
We've never paid more that $450.00 for full coverage insurance. We had to use it once and got a full refund of $8000.00 minus the $450.00 insurance cost. Our travel agent arranged for it through an independent insurance co.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:00 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
We've balked at the high price of insurance on our last two cruises and simply skipped it. One more cruise without insurance and we'll pay for the cruise.

We ran into some folks aboard our last cruise that were buying full trip insurance for half our quoted rate. I'll see if I can locate the address, but, it is available. Otherwise, the rate is ridiculous.
travel insurance premiums are based on the total cost of the trip and your age. So comparing costs between two people is impossible, unless they have booked exactly the same trip and are exactly the same age.

I Usually don't buy travel insurance in case I have to cancel the trip. I wouldn't be taking the trip unless I can absorb the cost of cancelling it. I buy insurance to cover any unexpected medical expenses while I am out of the country. I buy insurance to cover the cost of medical evacuation from out of the country if needed. That is the real value of travel insurance.

and I never buy it through a cruise company. Always use an independent company either through the travel agent or purchase it from an independent company on your own.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:45 PM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Needless to say travel insurance is also based on the individual's medical condition, and also there are differences in excess fees and payouts.

Only you can do a price comparison, but I have just booked annual multi travel insurance for worldwide travel, including the USA and the Caribbean (which puts the premium up).

Given my non too serious medical inclusions it came to around $150 for me and my wife, both in our late fifties.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPam View Post
You might also want to check out insuremytrip.com They have lots of different choices and an easy way to compare.

Whatever you do, don't leave home without it!
This certainly is true, but to the OP, check to make sure what is covered if you use on line insurance. Often the price is much loser, but the coverage isn't as good. The thing you want to be sure is covered is transportaion back to America in case of a medical emergancy. It does sound awfully high and yet, I would never cruise without insurance. It is money you hope you have wasted cause you don't want to use it, but if you don't have insurance and something happens you will be left with enough bills to wipe some families out. I know someone who did not take insurance and did have to fly back to the states. The cost $35,000.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Needless to say travel insurance is also based on the individual's medical condition, and also there are differences in excess fees and payouts.

Only you can do a price comparison, but I have just booked annual multi travel insurance for worldwide travel, including the USA and the Caribbean (which puts the premium up).

Given my non too serious medical inclusions it came to around $150 for me and my wife, both in our late fifties.
UK might be a little different. In the USA, when booking insurance for a cruise the cast is based pretty much on the cost of the cruise, more than anything. Most companies do not even ask about pre existing conditions if booked at the same time of the cruise or within a few weeks. The reason the Op was quoted such a high price (which I feel is way too high) is based on the cost of the cruise itself. There was a time, here when pre existing conditions did make a difference, but not so much anymore as long as, like I said, you book insurance as soon as you book your cruise. Age does enter into the cost. As JKgourmet said, most of us buy insurance to cover emergancies when on the cruise, not for cancellation purposes. And no, do not take the cruise line insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises