Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 03:13 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,608,696 times

Advertisements

After the comment by Annerk, I did some research. It looks like we will need Euros in Italy and maybe Greece, Kuna in Croatia and Turkish Lira in Ephesus. If the Greek problems with the bailout continue, we may even need some drachmas to spend in Greece (assuming the cruise still stops in Athens).

I checked with my local bank and I can pre-order different currencies ahead of time to avoid some of the high fees. As another option, I am also looking into a new credit card that will not charge foreign transaction fees.

Mehhhh...... logistics can really be a pain. However, our flights and cruise are paid for and I am going ahead with the intention of really enjoying myself.

I think there is an NCL shuttle / transfer from the port to the Old Town of Dubrovnik, but we have not verified it. NCL does not list in on their website. If not, a bus or taxi will work.

Does anyone have any experience with using Taxis for short tours in any of these cities? I read on Cruise Critic that this was a reasonable option in Athens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 06:55 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,848,208 times
Unless you are planning on spending a whole lotta money, I wouldn't worry about the new credit card. If you need to pay a few bucks in transaction fees it's not going to be the end of the world. We prefer to pay cash for meals and normal souvenirs. We took a two week trip to London this year and charged a total of about $150--most of it for a one day car rental. We pre-paid or paid cash for everything else.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:17 PM

44,274 posts, read 19,933,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Unless you are planning on spending a whole lotta money, I wouldn't worry about the new credit card. If you need to pay a few bucks in transaction fees it's not going to be the end of the world. We prefer to pay cash for meals and normal souvenirs. We took a two week trip to London this year and charged a total of about $150--most of it for a one day car rental. We pre-paid or paid cash for everything else.
I hadn't thought about paying cash for meals and souvenirs. In the past, I've used my credit card to pay the dining bill and souvenirs; just used cash for tips and very small incidentals. It's so hard to decide how much cash to exchange, especially since we will only be in each port city for several hours. I think it's different when you're visiting several countries in a week, as opposed to staying in one for the entire time.

There's so much to consider! (What a nice problem to have, huh? )

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:22 AM

14,984 posts, read 23,775,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post

Does anyone have any experience with using Taxis for short tours in any of these cities? I read on Cruise Critic that this was a reasonable option in Athens.
Athens has a pretty good subway system, as I remember the port is quite aways out of town from the central city. Lots of taxi scammers in Athens.
Don't stress stuff like currency, there are always options. I frequently travel to foreign places with like $5 in my wallet and never give those things a second thought.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:43 PM

16,556 posts, read 17,327,339 times
It will be worth checking on the situation regarding the Greek banking system nearer the time.

Currently the Greek banks have shut for the week and many ATMs are out of money- that's worth a second thought!

Cards are being accepted though.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
It will be worth checking on the situation regarding the Greek banking system nearer the time.

Currently the Greek banks have shut for the week and many ATMs are out of money- that's worth a second thought!

Cards are being accepted though.
Thanks Jezer!

I have been keeping up on all of the news about the economic situation in Greece. It is a bit nerve wracking, since seeing Athens is going to be a real highlight of the trip. I would be very disappointed if the cruise ship skipped Athens on this trip. Unfortunately, most cruise lines reserve the right to change / skip ports due any number of reasons.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:54 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,848,208 times
Quote:
Thanks Jezer!

I have been keeping up on all of the news about the economic situation in Greece. It is a bit nerve wracking, since seeing Athens is going to be a real highlight of the trip. I would be very disappointed if the cruise ship skipped Athens on this trip. Unfortunately, most cruise lines reserve the right to change / skip ports due any number of reasons.
We were in Greece during the problems in 2012, and the media vastly overblew the "riots."

I can offer a great deal of firsthand advice about all of those countries except Turkey.

NCL will have a shuttle to the Old Town, although it is cheaper to do on public bus.

If you are stopping in Santorini, you can also take the public bus to Oia for about $3 per person r/t. I can give specific instructions to that as well.

The biggest worry in Greece (and Italy) are strikes. They occur without warning and can really screw up your day. HAVE A BACK UP PLAN, particularly regarding mass transit if that will be part of your plans.

I have a great car service I can suggest in Athens who is expensive but not part of the taxi union so they don't go on strike. If you want the name and number I will dig it out.

One thing, you mentioned tips--in many of the countries you will visit, gratuity (service/servicio) is included in the check. It will be printed on the menu. Round up to the nearest Euro and that's all you need to leave. Croatia you don't find it included as much, we usually tipped 10% or a bit more for exceptional service there.

Tour guides in all of those countries appreciate tips. Depending on the length of the tour and knowledge of the guide we offered between 2 and 10 Euro per person.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:31 AM

44,274 posts, read 19,933,945 times
Thanks for all the info, annerk. It's very helpful.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-11-2015 at 12:39 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 07:00 PM

I keep reading about the troubles in Greece, but am reassured that the local government is making every effort to minimize problems for tourists. In fact I read an article that suggested the best way to help the people of Greece is to go there and spend money, preferably focusing on small businesses. I am glad as I really, really want to see the Acropolis and walk in the steps of Socrates, Plato and Aristotle.

Bring on Athens!

Old 07-10-2015, 12:11 PM

16,556 posts, read 17,327,339 times
Quote:
I keep reading about the troubles in Greece, but am reassured that the local government is making every effort to minimize problems for tourists. In fact I read an article that suggested the best way to help the people of Greece is to go there and spend money, preferably focusing on small businesses. I am glad as I really, really want to see the Acropolis and walk in the steps of Socrates, Plato and Aristotle.

Bring on Athens!
Three pretty good soccer players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises