U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 11:51 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,492,619 times

Advertisements

We have never been on a cruise before, and I do not have reason in my personal life to wear gowns.

But I would like to splurge and purchase some gowns and cocktail dresses and perhaps nice blouses.

I could get the gowns cut into dresses later, if I really like them.

My problem is that the majority of these things that appeal to me, that I could possibly wear again, are silk.

Silk wrinkles.

Those travel steam irons will probably discolor silk.

Has anyone found their way around this problem?
I could avoid the fabric, but it limits the options.

I think I read that the onboard cleaning services are very costly. Is this true?

I kind of like the idea of gowns because I can wear more comfortable shoes and don't have to fuss with stockings having runs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 04:49 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,936,227 times
I don't know if this will help, but FWIW:

I frequently travel with hand wash/dry flat silk tops because they are sturdy and, if carefully folded with a bit of tissue paper, pack well.

The only time I went to one of those fancy cruise dinners, I wore a sort of lycra spandex type dress from some place like Chico's. I packed it with tissue paper, too.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:30 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,492,619 times
Thank you. I don't shop much, and have never been to Chico's, but it seems as though they have a sensible line. I look at Travel Smith online, but that is mostly a mail order place and I have not ordered from them.

Perhaps I will just stop thinking of silk gowns, but they are so pretty and I'm getting older and will probably not have a chance to wear one again.

I bookmarked Chinos and will pay them a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or