U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 02:02 PM

203 posts, read 871,067 times

Advertisements

For those who have went on a cruise, how dressed up do they get on normal nights, how about the Captain's cocktail party? Is that like super dressed up?

Are kids seen at the Captain's party?

THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 07:16 PM

39,534 posts, read 47,711,196 times
Men...Casual dress most nights. No T-shirts and shorts. The Captains get together a coat and tie, or suit if you desire. They also rent tuxes on most of the ships for those who really want to dress up to the max.
Generally there are two formal dinner nights, and they also will take pictures of you at different locations around the ship with your dress up outfits.
Women... casual or cocktail dresses most nights, or formal dresses/gowns on dress up night(s)
If you're not into dressing up, then you go and eat at the buffet's that are separate from the general dining areas.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:09 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,970,317 times
I can't think of anything worse than being trapped in a floating motel, unless it's being trapped in a floating motel where I had to dress up.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:07 AM

3,752 posts, read 9,601,974 times
Each cruise line is different. Celebrity is much more formal. HAL/Princess a bit less, Carnival much less formal.

Very important to pick the cruise that fits. Husband wont dress up so we use the alternative restaurant on the Lido deck that HAL and Celebrity set up. We think just as nice.

As a side note, we find it pretty tedious to have a long served dinner each and every night so we tend to only go to the big restaurant for two or three nights and choose based on the menu for the night. You will never go hungry thats for sure.

The most important thing about kids is that they are well behaved. They will be welcomed unless they run around dining room, scream at events, do not mind the rules around the pools (for safety). We have had kids of all ages on cruises and for the most part they are so enjoyable. They even love to dress up. But beware the long time sitting at restaurants. Most waiters have a lot of skill in making the evening interesting and they usually have kid menus.

Check out cruisecritic.com for a forum specially for cruisers.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:21 AM

396 posts, read 1,502,169 times
I think you will find that most all cruise lines are very gracious in what passes for "formal". The last cruise that we went on (with are kids that were behaved) I was amazed by what some people considered "formal". Yes, there were men in tuxedos....but not many. For the most part, all of the men around us were either in nice slacks with a tie and jacket or without the jacket. Some men simply wore nice slacks and a shirt without a tie. Women mostly wore cocktail dresses, but some women wore nice slacks and a pretty sweater. I'm fairly certain that no one gets kicked out of the dining room for not looking good enough . Have fun!!! The "floating hotel" has been one of our favorite family vacations.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:42 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,154,265 times
We love to cruise. Things others have posted I generally agree with. Formal nites are becoming more and more relaxed on all cruiselines (well, I have not been on Cunard, but from what I have heard from others, even designer jeans are worn onboard, wh/ is a change).

The biggest drawback about formal nites would be having to pack the extra stuff that goes along w/ dressing formally! For people traveling by air to the port for a 7 day or longer cruise, w/ luggage restrictions, packing the extra tux or suit, dress shoes . . . and for women, the dresses themselves, shoes and jewelry . . . is becoming more and more of a hassle. However, people often look forward to formal nites b/c there are photographers available and many like having a nice annual photograph taken in their formal (or semi-formal) attire.

For me, I have adapted my style over the years. It is very easy to pack a long black skirt or palazzo style pants and some hip, sexy tops (low cut, nice fabrics, maybe some sparklies, LOL) along w/ a halter type semi-formal tea length dress in a non-wrinkle fabric . . . and one pair of strappy, sexy shoes that goes w/ everything . . . I stick to black. So I have learned how to trim down on the "baggage" that it takes to look appropriate for formal nites. I see more and more women doing this.

My DH used to see cruises as yet another reason to enjoy wearing his Tux. However, it is getting more and more of a challenge to figure out how to add that to the luggage - takes up space, gets wrinkled, etc. So lately he is taking a white dinner jacket. Don't know what we will do next cruise . . . he will have to decide.

Some women are still making it hard on themselves and literally bringing full length gowns, wh/ really are difficult to transport and also come out of the luggage wrinkled, so one must address that issue b/f dressing for the evening. Some cruiselines will pick up formal clothing and steam or iron them . . . taking time to iron a formal dress b/f dinner is NOT my idea of fun.

So it all depends on your style, if you want pictures . . . as to how you pack and what you decide to wear for formal nite. Learn to mix and match and you will be fine. Or you can opt for the buffet or eating in another dining venue on formal nites.

This is really not such a big issue as people make it out to be.

Also - just a sidebar: have you ever noticed that people who complain the loudest about "formal nites" don't even cruise? Many people tell me the reason they don't cruise is b/c they don't want the hassle of dealing w/ formal nite. If they had actually cruised, instead of clinging to stereotypes, they would see this is easily handled and no biggie at all.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:03 PM

286 posts, read 1,199,442 times
I love formal night - and to make it easier on myself, I have a couple of "cruise" gowns, which are jersey and I can roll up and put into my luggage. No wrinkles! I also keep my accessories simple. As to the other nights, a sundress or nice slacks work for women, and men can wear/not wear a tie or jacket. I had people at my table in the formal dining room come in shorts and t-shirts, straight from the pool and no one cared. It's really about you having fun!
You asked about the Captain's cocktail party and kids. I don't think that the party itself is kid friendly. I think the reason it is so highly attended is it's the only opportunity to get a free drink on board! (Except for the repeat cruiser party). Haven't taken my kids cruising yet, but if I did, I'd have them involved with the kids activities instead.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:16 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,154,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensgirl View Post
I love formal night - and to make it easier on myself, I have a couple of "cruise" gowns, which are jersey and I can roll up and put into my luggage. No wrinkles! I also keep my accessories simple. As to the other nights, a sundress or nice slacks work for women, and men can wear/not wear a tie or jacket. I had people at my table in the formal dining room come in shorts and t-shirts, straight from the pool and no one cared. It's really about you having fun!
You asked about the Captain's cocktail party and kids. I don't think that the party itself is kid friendly. I think the reason it is so highly attended is it's the only opportunity to get a free drink on board! (Except for the repeat cruiser party). Haven't taken my kids cruising yet, but if I did, I'd have them involved with the kids activities instead.
Very accurate post. Totally agree w/ your thoughts. Captain's party - not for kids. Your wardrobe sounds very workable and others should take note!
Great post!

Old 02-24-2008, 12:44 PM

286 posts, read 1,199,442 times
Thanks, Anifani821! One other thing - don't know if this is same for all cruise lines, but on Carnival, if you want to eat at their Supper Club, they do expect a more formal attire - i.e. jacket for men, nice dress for ladies. We had a great dinner, and the service was wonderful. But, again, this is a good adult night out!

Old 02-24-2008, 01:04 PM

55,659 posts, read 74,604,692 times
im a cruiser. the child issue is a very sensative one.
the ship staff has lots of opportunities
for these young people but guests are not always
appreciative at the table or at parties of
children's behavior.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-24-2008 at 01:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or