Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2016, 07:36 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times

Advertisements

I'm going on my first cruise in 15 years and am not sure what to expect. Seems there's way more planning required now than in the past as far as drink packages, excursions, ship activities, dinner reservations, theme nights, etc. I'm trying to figure out what to focus on as there's just so much to plan and I want this to be a fun trip and not feel like I missed out on something. Advice needed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 07:44 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Don't get caught up in too much pre planning. It will turn into stress instead of relaxation.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Don't get caught up in too much pre planning. It will turn into stress instead of relaxation.
Well, I have to do some, so what are the more important things to plan? Thats one question I have.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:32 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
If you drink, decide now if you want the drink package. It's just a quick calculation. Somebody on cruise critic can give you current costs if wine, beer, cocktails, whatever. Figure out how much you expect to dribk on board, then compare it to the cost of the package. Do consider the value if not even thinking about the cost if you get the package. (We rarely cruise anymore unless the alcohol package us thrown in as a freebie.)

Excursions - we do some reservations ahead of time, but almost never book the overpriced ship excursions anymore. I find outside vendors who inevitably provide a better experience at a MUCH better price. And often, we do no excursion at all, preferring to simply wander around, have lunch, and get away from the touristy sections.

Theme nights? Do they really still do those? I refuse to check luggage, so I'm not packing stuff I'm only wearing once, let alone some dumb costume. And formal nights aren't very formal anymore (though new year's eve might becan exception).

Dinner reservations - I don't do carnival anymore, but my experience on other cruuse lines is that discounts show up for many speciality restaurants once on board. And unless you've got a really large group, reservations are always available.

Relax. Enjoy.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:27 PM

551 posts, read 1,573,626 times
I would plan excursions ahead and that's it. Drink packages aren't worth it unless you are a big drinker. The theme nights are optional. Ship activities can be planned when you are on ship! Do plan your clothing/outfits to make sure you have enough and the right things to wear! Have fun!

Old 12-12-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
I would plan excursions ahead and that's it. Drink packages aren't worth it unless you are a big drinker. The theme nights are optional. Ship activities can be planned when you are on ship! Do plan your clothing/outfits to make sure you have enough and the right things to wear! Have fun!
Thanks for the advice. I may even wait on the excursions based on what Jkgourmet said. As for drinks, not to sound like an alcoholic, but you're entitled to 15 drinks a day, which includes premium alcohol (thats all I drink). I figure 3-4 beers at the pool, couple glasses of wine at dinner, and 3-4 drinks at night and I've gotten my money's worth. I considered smuggling some liquor, but seems like way too much trouble. I don't drink like that ordinarily, but this is vacation and I'm a shy introvert traveling alone, so alcohol will help me. It is a lot of money though. I don't spend on alcohol in 3 months what they will charge me for a week.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I may even wait on the excursions based on what Jkgourmet said. As for drinks, not to sound like an alcoholic, but you're entitled to 15 drinks a day, which includes premium alcohol (thats all I drink). I figure 3-4 beers at the pool, couple glasses of wine at dinner, and 3-4 drinks at night and I've gotten my money's worth. I considered smuggling some liquor, but seems like way too much trouble. I don't drink like that ordinarily, but this is vacation and I'm a shy introvert traveling alone, so alcohol will help me. It is a lot of money though. I don't spend on alcohol in 3 months what they will charge me for a week.
In regard to excursions, I think you may have misunderstood me. I do plan some excursions ahead of time. But I rarely book them with the cruise line.

I agree with you about the alcohol package (though we don't care if it's premium labels), but that's the reason we usually book cruises that INCLUDE it for free (obviously, not holiday cruises which are already overpriced.) For future reference, this is a promotion offered quite frequently on Celebrity.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
In regard to excursions, I think you may have misunderstood me. I do plan some excursions ahead of time. But I rarely book them with the cruise line.

I agree with you about the alcohol package (though we don't care if it's premium labels), but that's the reason we usually book cruises that INCLUDE it for free (obviously, not holiday cruises which are already overpriced.) For future reference, this is a promotion offered quite frequently on Celebrity.
Yeah, in hindsight it might have been a mistake to book this cruise, BUT I just wanted to create new memories, as I'm always alone at the holidays. So I just decided "screw it", I'll do it. But you're right, not cheap at all.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Yeah, in hindsight it might have been a mistake to book this cruise, BUT I just wanted to create new memories, as I'm always alone at the holidays. So I just decided "screw it", I'll do it. But you're right, not cheap at all.
Before I married (at age 40), I spent most of my holidays alone. I travelled a lot during theyholidays. For future reference, these are a few things I learned:

Plane tickets can be really cheap on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and NewcYears Eve.

Travelling to a place that didn't really celebrate the holiday was a benefit for my psyche. Think: China or England for Thanksgiving. Dubai for Christmas.

Group tours worked well during holidays. As long as I avoided trips that might be very appealing to families with little kids.

I did cruise once as a single woman, when I was about 34 (and in my prime). Except for the fact that I hooked up with the gorgeous, Italian 1st Officer, I can't say I enjoyed cruising as a single all that much. (The trip to visit him in Italy 8 weeks later was pure magic.)

Old 12-13-2016, 10:19 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Plan to have fun. Dinner reservations, only if you want to sit with the same people every night. Otherwise show up and they seat you anyway. Many a time we just wanted to sit by ourselves and were seated at tables for two. Some excursions are limited so you may want to pre-plan for those, but the rest of the things, don't sweat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises