Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 01:49 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
About six weeks ago, we booked a cruise for Christmas week. (Yeah, I know, just like that movie and novel, Skipping Christmas. ). The itinerary is from San Diego to three stops on the Mexican Riviera, then back to SD.

I've noticed now that this cruise still isn't sold out, and that balcony staterooms presumably like ours are now on offer for much less than we paid. Possibly these still-vacant cabins have bad views, e.g. ocean partially blocked by lifeboats, davits, or other hardware, but I'm pretty sure that there wasn't any such discount for less than optimal views when we booked.

Obviously, the cruise line has our money, so they have little if any motivation to renegotiate our fare. But would there be any possibility of upgrading to a suite? If so, would the time of boarding be the best time to ask? On our previous and only other cruise with this line (HAL), we'd booked an ocean view stateroom and were pleasantly surprised to find ourselves upgraded to a balcony stateroom without our even asking, or being charged extra.
For free? LOL...no, particularly to a suite. Upgrades are EXTREMELY rare nowadays and they most likely WILL sell out these cabins before cruise date. Particularly if you don't have a history with this cruise lines. But forget about the suite.
You still might be able to get a refund and rebook however if you have enough time. Have you read the refund fine print? They you can actually book the upgraded room at perhaps a cheaper rate.
They will be happy to sell you an upgrade however, perhaps at a reduced rate. Usually they will call you to pitch the upsell. The key word in the industry is "upsell".

This may help:
https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1428
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 01:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
But isn't it accurate that if you booked through a TA, ONLY the TA can call the cruise line to request an upgrade?
yes, you are 100% correct. The reservation belongs to the TA until sailing. All correspondence dealing wiht price, upgrades etc need to go through the TA. A good TA is more than happy to work with the client to get OBC, upgrades or whatever.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
I never said you would get any money back. At this point the OP is paid in full so you are not getting any money back. By "getting the best price" it means if you upgrade to another room your price will be less than it was ever offered at... And I know several people who PAID for an upgrade at check-in. Still was cheaper than what the room was originally offered at.
Let's just say, the chance of getting any upgrade upon boarding the ship is almost non existent. Believe what you want. As for getting upgraded, of course if there are cabins available in a higher category after final payment and the price of the existing category has gone down, there is a good chance you will get upgraded. Not to start a war over this, but I am very much aware of what "best price" means.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:24 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Let's just say, the chance of getting any upgrade upon boarding the ship is almost non existent. Believe what you want. As for getting upgraded, of course if there are cabins available in a higher category after final payment and the price of the existing category has gone down, there is a good chance you will get upgraded. Not to start a war over this, but I am very much aware of what "best price" means.
Yes. I did this on my last cruise

Old 11-17-2017, 09:04 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I assume that you're going to be leaving out of San Diego. The cruise ship terminal in San Diego isn't an actual terminal, it's a converted cotton warehouse, and nothing like other cruise ship terminals or airports.

The people that check you in (Intercruises) have nothing to do with your tickets at all. Their job is just to make sure that you have the proper documents to board the ship, and tell you to have a seat on the hard plastic chairs until your section number is called.

If you have a problem with your ticket, i.e., want an upgrade, etc., you'll have to call HAL directly, or go through your TA if you used one. They're the ones with the authority to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises