U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2018, 06:43 AM

5,432 posts, read 4,081,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
You can give cash to the employees for extra tips. I usually leave an extra 50$ or so that last night in the dining toom and on the bed for the stewards
You can also choose to pay cash when you get on board instead of pre-registering with a credit card for your expenses. I don't think many people do that but I'm sure some do.
We always set up our account with cash. It's pretty easy. Hand all of the cash over to guest services and have them load that amount onto our sail and sign card. There are machines all over the boat that allow us to check our balance. This keeps us from overspending (sometimes those drinks are strong) and makes us pay more attention.

We usually put about $800 on the account to spend while we are cruising. My wife set up the account the first time with a credit card and we ended up getting a bill for $1,300 when we got home. We decided not to do that again.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 02:09 PM

4,365 posts, read 3,702,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
We always set up our account with cash. It's pretty easy. Hand all of the cash over to guest services and have them load that amount onto our sail and sign card. There are machines all over the boat that allow us to check our balance. This keeps us from overspending (sometimes those drinks are strong) and makes us pay more attention.

We usually put about $800 on the account to spend while we are cruising. My wife set up the account the first time with a credit card and we ended up getting a bill for $1,300 when we got home. We decided not to do that again.
You can check with the front desk each day to see what you spent if you have too. Also some ships have computer terminals where you can print out your account as often as you like.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:40 AM

12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times
Quote:
You can give cash to the employees for extra tips. I usually leave an extra 50$ or so that last night in the dining toom and on the bed for the stewards
You can also choose to pay cash when you get on board instead of pre-registering with a credit card for your expenses. I don't think many people do that but I'm sure some do.
No don't do that (just leaving cash on the table or the bed). The problem with that is the cash tips only are given to the tip of the iceberg in terms of the service you are getting. The $50 will be kept by the one server who sees the cash and grabs it first, instead of the dozens that are working their butts off in the background - chefs, other servers, dishwashers, food preparers, serving area cleaners, storage workers, those hauling up the food supplies, etc. They all make the same crappy wage - it's not like an American resteraunt where the server makes less than minimum wage + tips and the chef makes at least minimum wage.

And that's another reason why it's added to the bill automatically to prevent actions like this and to make sure the tips are distributed fairly.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:26 AM

71,964 posts, read 83,640,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
We just got back from a seven day cruise on Carnival and like other cruises, the service was very good. Carnival has instituted the practice of automatically charging tips onto passengers' shipboard accounts. We theoretically had the power to opt out of paying them this way, and we opted out when we booked, but Carnival still charged our credit card over $180 for tips on the 7 day cruise. We had to go to Guest Services to get them to remove the charge. And every cocktail and specialty coffee drink we ordered was assessed an automatic 15% gratuity that we couldn't opt out of.

Before I'm accused of being a cheapskate, I tip generously in the States, but the practice has gotten out of hand, and there are many threads here that attest to that. Just doing a job, even if it is low paying, does not automatically entitle a person to deserve tips. Tips are deserved for going above and beyond the call of duty. Some tipping on a cruise is polite and customary. But mandatory tipping is a fee, not a tip. And I have a few issues with Carnival and these tips specifically. Why should we tip every staff member for doing their jobs? Does every employee in every industry deserve a tip just for going to work? That is Carnival's rationale for charging us these "gratuities."

It should not be the passengers' responsibility to directly pay the bulk of the staff's wages because Carnival doesn't pay them a living wage. But because of the American practice of tipping everywhere for everything, if the cruiser says no, they are made to feel guilty for refusing. Because Carnival ships are registered internationally, they are not bound by American minimum wage laws, so they pay their employees very little.

When we buy cruise tickets, the fare should cover the bulk of our costs. Even the lowest fare costs a lot of money. We shouldn't have to kick in another $200, $400, or even more to pay for tips. When we went on a cruise and a resort vacation a couple of years ago, neither one deducted tips. Cruises used to be inclusive, but now they are nickel and diming quite a bit. We were on vacation, but we were also on a budget; in the cheapest room with no internet service, no drink packages, and no special services. We tipped, but not the nearly $200 Carnival wanted us to.

I have read on cruise forums that Carnival is not passing these gratuities onto the staff members as they claim they are; they are pocketing most or all of these monies themselves. They are also increasing the rates of these tips frequently by large amounts and cruisers are paying them believing the staff are actually receiving the monies. If you cruise, do you allow the cruise line to do the auto-tipping or do you tip separately?
don't believe everything you read about the DSC not being given to the hard working crew. People who do not know will say anything. The reason auto tipping was added was because people were not tipping. Now we all are paying because of a bunch of cheapies. I will add, Carnivals mandatory tipping or DSC is a little less than some lines are charging. These charges are sorta like the resort charges some hotels are now charging and some restaurants, especially like in Florida automatically add a required tip amount. Remember something else, there are a lot of people who you would normally not tip but work hard behind the scenes. Some of the auto tips go to them.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
We do the same, but a little less than you are leaving. We also sometimes tip an extra $1 or so for drinks if the server is really good or really nice. In specialty dining rooms we also leave a little more.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:18 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,039,389 times
I like to go on cruises, and do often with my two teens. Now, they prefer to NOT go to the formal dining room and eat at the buffets that are self serve, or the grills.

We do not utilize a lot of the folks that other seem to need to help them.

I kind of resent having a set tip for everyone when some people use more staff resources. I'd rather have a 'low maintenance' tip fee and the 'high maintenance' fee for those that use more of the resources.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:19 PM

12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
I like to go on cruises, and do often with my two teens. Now, they prefer to NOT go to the formal dining room and eat at the buffets that are self serve, or the grills.

I kind of resent having a set tip for everyone when some people use more staff resources. I'd rather have a 'low maintenance' tip fee and the 'high maintenance' fee for those that use more of the resources.
Once again you have to stop thinking of this as an American resteraunt where the servers have a per hour wage less than cooks or fast food workers, with tips that make up for it. On a cruise ship the tip pays for all the services you get and all the service workers are on the same low "pay plan".

You eat at the buffet and thus people still cook the food, bring it out to the buffet tables, clean the serving area, clean the kitchen, fill up the silverware, and many times bus the tables. The tips are for those people.

On top of that you get your rooms cleaned, employees clean the bed linen, you use the public areas which must be cleaned and prepared, they bring you your checked in luggage. Others maintain just about everything you touch, look at, and walk on in the ship. Then there is the entertainment on the ship - entertainers get paid better but again for each of these areas you have dozens of support staff that service it - prepare and maintain the shows.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post

I wonder if you realize how many behind the scenes people are including in the daily tip plan or do you realize the guy or gal working at the buffet today might be the wait person around the pool or at your dining room table tomorrow? It all works out for everyone if the cruise lines use the daily tipping pool.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:31 AM

8,764 posts, read 10,845,692 times
We've taken many cruises and 'mandatory tipping' has always seemed high (typically $22 per day per cabin - two people x $11). Like many, we simply consider it part of the cruise cost, but, it does get pricey for longer cruises.

We recently took a river cruise -- Rather than mandatory-tipping, they provide envelopes and boxes for guests to place their tips - with a recommended $8-range per day, per person.

We regularly tip well, but, appreciate the river cruise approach ... and somewhat resent the larger cruise line approach.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
We've taken many cruises and 'mandatory tipping' has always seemed high (typically $22 per day per cabin - two people x $11). Like many, we simply consider it part of the cruise cost, but, it does get pricey for longer cruises.

We recently took a river cruise -- Rather than mandatory-tipping, they provide envelopes and boxes for guests to place their tips - with a recommended $8-range per day, per person.

We regularly tip well, but, appreciate the river cruise approach ... and somewhat resent the larger cruise line approach.
River cruising is a totally different type of cruising and as most of us know, much more expensive. You can not compare apples and oranges. BTW, what lines have you been on in the past 2 years or so where the mandatory tips are only $11? Most are not $13 to $15. In fact I don't know of any that are $11.00. How can anyone think that is high when you compare all those who benefit from tips? A decent meal on most cruise lines would cost about $40 per couple without tips or drinks. That would be about a $8.00 tip, $4 per person leaving about $7.00 per person for the other meals, the house keeping and those who work behind the scenes. Remember your cabin steward does a little more or let's say a lot more than say the basic house keeper in a hotel. We usually leave our hotel house keeper about $1.50 to $2.00 per day just for standard cleaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or