U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 02:22 PM

1,214 posts, read 440,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Yes, I know that any people are in the tip pool and are not paid well

But some guests do not utilize the staff's time nearly as much as others. Eating at the buffets and grills are much less staff intensive. Besides the reduced wait staff, it takes a lot less effort for the cook to provide a bowl of oatmeal or cook a hotdog and chips at the grill, than prepare eggs Benedict or a 3 course meal. When the formal dining room is not used, the wait staff is reduced, obviously, but so it the time required for cooking and prepping food.

We never check luggage, but bring it onto and off the ship ourselves. We each use one carryon suitcase on the plane and take it ourselves onto the ship. Again, low staff usage.

The only public areas we used was the pool and the theater, no bars, INTERNET, special rooms, etc. for us.

My kids automatically made their own beds each day and rehung the towels for reuse. The steward only did the beds and towels one time mid-week when he changed them out. Otherwise he was in and out of our room in ten minutes in the morning and 5-10 minutes at fold down in the evening.

We really are low maintenance.
It really doesn't matter if you are low maintenance or not.
Or whether you use the climbing wall or not.
Or whether you see the shows or not.
Or whether you fast two days out of seven or only eat lettuce.
Or whether your kids wash the windows and make the beds.
Cruise ships are essentially 'all-inclusive' with but few exceptions like specialty dining.
You know this.
Maybe you would prefer the camping-out option, but it does not exist!

Last edited by PamelaIamela; 06-17-2018 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 04:39 PM

309 posts, read 166,379 times
I cruise solo, only eat at the buffet, don't go to shows or use the pools or athletic activities. I read and play trivia. I put out the "do not disturb" sign every other day so they don't have to fix my room every day, and I still keep the auto tips in place.

I consider it a fee that I pay so I can eat when I am hungry without preparing or cleaning up, and have a clean bed and bathroom to use, again, without having to do anything for it. I feel fortunate that I can afford to go on this nice vacation and the tips are just part of the cost. Everyone who works on that ship works very hard to make my vacation as nice and carefree as possible.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:20 AM

72,057 posts, read 83,719,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVulcan500 View Post
I cruise solo, only eat at the buffet, don't go to shows or use the pools or athletic activities. I read and play trivia. I put out the "do not disturb" sign every other day so they don't have to fix my room every day, and I still keep the auto tips in place.

I consider it a fee that I pay so I can eat when I am hungry without preparing or cleaning up, and have a clean bed and bathroom to use, again, without having to do anything for it. I feel fortunate that I can afford to go on this nice vacation and the tips are just part of the cost. Everyone who works on that ship works very hard to make my vacation as nice and carefree as possible.
and this is the way it should be. BTW, I have never thought about keeping the do not disturb sign on, but what a good idea> I have seen cabins that seem to always say: do not disturb. I have always just thought they must spend most of their time sleeping.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:54 PM

39,559 posts, read 47,801,608 times
Cruise Line Employee Pay, Benefits, and other Compensation...
Cruise Ship Employee Pay, Travel Discounts, Tips

Old 06-23-2018, 07:59 AM

4,891 posts, read 3,979,660 times
For us, tips are just a part of the cruise, likened in a way to taxes.

While Cruise Lines offer a unique and excellent experience we must remember that cruise lines can skirt the minimum wage laws by registering the ships in another Nation. As such the employees are brought from poorer countries and many are happy to have any job at all. They work long hours can be fired at the drop of a hat and realistically the tips make up the bulk of their pay

What I have learned after a dozen or so cruises is that the more you tip early on then the better service you are going to have.
For example I watch the servers around the pool areas as well as those around and in the bars. I pick out the ones that seem to be enjoying themselves the most and when I order a drink which is prepaid including the gratuities, I slip a couple of dollars inside the folder and hand it to the server and say thank you. Not only do I get excellent service from that person but they tend to remember my name what I like and it makes getting refills much much easier

A few other examples: my son loves pizza but has always had a cheese allergy. He has grown up eating pizza without cheese. The ships always have a pizza station and he would often eat there frequently. Early in the cruise we explain to the guys preparing the pizza about his allergy and they were very accommodating. By the end of the cruise they recognized him and would make him his pizza when he showed up. The last night of the cruise he went to the Pizza Station and gave each worker a $10 bill. For someone who lives in Indonesia, this is about half of the average monthly income at the time.

Last prove my son got seasick not from Pizza but none the less threw up in the room. It look like the scene from Monty Python's meaning of life Only my son is Slender and it was amazing that that much was even in him. The room Steward spent a good 2 hours repairing the room and for both him and his assistant we felt $50 a piece was the least we could do. This is in addition to his normal pay in tip.

On one cruise for we gave the room stewardess pay $50 bonus because we had two side-by-side rooms at the end of the cruise she told us that that money will help her children in the Philippines greatly and she will send it back to them
I have no problem at all giving a few dollars here and there to someone who is helpful on the ship. I carry a few $1 bills around which is the exact price that a beer cops the employees on a ship. When the person in the morning brings the room service coffee and pastries I give her a dollar or two and the rest of the cruise whenever I do decide to get the room service, then I find the pastries and coffee are always fresh. of course I could always send the food back if I didn't like it and ask it to be remade but why do that why not create a win-win situation by helping someone out and them helping me? much less negativity no resentment no complaints and everyone walks happier
It is quite easy to spot the crew members that are enthusiastic and going above and beyond and it goes a long way with them to hand them a couple of dollars in a tip and stay here go get yourself a couple of beers tonight

Old 06-23-2018, 08:03 AM

4,891 posts, read 3,979,660 times
Oh and one other thing. If you buy a drink the gratuity is included. All of the bar staff all over the ship have to share that. That includes if you add $1 to the bar tab and sign it However if you give cash to one specific employee then he gets to keep it for himself

Old 06-23-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Oh and one other thing. If you buy a drink the gratuity is included. All of the bar staff all over the ship have to share that. That includes if you add $1 to the bar tab and sign it However if you give cash to one specific employee then he gets to keep it for himself
anyone we tip above and beyond whether a bar tender of server, the cabin steward, or a wait person at a specialty dining room we tip in cash.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:44 PM

39,559 posts, read 47,801,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and this is the way it should be. BTW, I have never thought about keeping the do not disturb sign on, but what a good idea> I have seen cabins that seem to always say: do not disturb. I have always just thought they must spend most of their time sleeping.
Honeymooners.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:30 AM

15,094 posts, read 19,047,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Honeymooners.
Or traveling with the mistress (or whatever the male equivalent is called.)

Old 06-30-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Honeymooners.
oh I like the thought of it being someone who doesn't want their cabin cleaned and they don't want to tip. Your reasoning is very true I imagine, mine is more fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or