Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 06:35 PM

810 posts, read 666,913 times

Advertisements

My young family just got back from a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise that we took on RC. It was a lot of fun for the most part and we all had a really good time but as a first time cruiser I was pretty put off by the large number of unpleasant seniors we encountered. This was most notable in the dining room during meals, especially when one of our toddlers were being toddlers. Some of them just stared with the ugliest faces. At the pool (especially during port days when everyone else was off the ship) they would be glued to the lounge chairs fulled clothed and just scowl and stare. Looking around the pool on the one day I stayed on the ship it was really depressing. We had an encounter with one old man that complained that he wasn't 100% completely off the elevator before people started to move. I also overheard a few complaining to wait staff about this or that.

Simply put, are there any cruise lines that are extremely unpopular with senior citizens ? Running into and meeting other families and pleasant people was a real highlight and it would be great to be around similar on a future cruise. While there were some very nice old folks we ran into there were just too many unfriendly frowns. My in-laws go on Viking River cruises and tell me that it's nothing but old people. So are there cruises that are the opposite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 06:46 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
I have been on a lot of cruises. Royal Caribbean IMO is one of the best family friendly cruise lines. I personally would have given the oldies a dirty look back, lol. Who cares ehat they think of your kids anyway. Carnival probably has the least amount of seniors, but it's geared more towards a younger crowd (20's & 30's) and not as family friendly.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:46 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
My young family just got back from a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise that we took on RC. It was a lot of fun for the most part and we all had a really good time but as a first time cruiser I was pretty put off by the large number of unpleasant seniors we encountered. This was most notable in the dining room during meals, especially when one of our toddlers were being toddlers. Some of them just stared with the ugliest faces. At the pool (especially during port days when everyone else was off the ship) they would be glued to the lounge chairs fulled clothed and just scowl and stare. Looking around the pool on the one day I stayed on the ship it was really depressing. We had an encounter with one old man that complained that he wasn't 100% completely off the elevator before people started to move. I also overheard a few complaining to wait staff about this or that.

Simply put, are there any cruise lines that are extremely unpopular with senior citizens ? Running into and meeting other families and pleasant people was a real highlight and it would be great to be around similar on a future cruise. While there were some very nice old folks we ran into there were just too many unfriendly frowns. My in-laws go on Viking River cruises and tell me that it's nothing but old people. So are there cruises that are the opposite?
So sorry you feel this way.. as I did go on such a cruise ( Caribbean Cruise lines) back when my kids were very young... I didn't sense much less feel like you seem to suggest. There were a cross section .. from young families, newlyweds to elderly and never once felt dissed nor marginalized. Anyway, found a link that Cruise lines that caters to Young Families~~ It shows 6 Cruise Lines~~

Best Cruises for Families with Kids

Old 05-07-2017, 08:55 PM

810 posts, read 666,913 times
thanks for the replies. I really don't have anything against old folks.......(we're all going to be old one day, God willing) I just got the feeling over and over that somehow our presence was a huge inconvenience and if there are ships out there that cater more to young families we're all in. Gonna definitely check out that link Lyndarn

Old 05-08-2017, 07:34 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
I looked at the above link and I beg to differ. Celebrity Crises is NOT family friendly IMO. Most people on it are over 50. And as I stated earlier, Carnival is more of a young party crowd.

Best family friendly cruise line....... DISNEY! But get ready to pay out the butt for it!

Old 05-08-2017, 08:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Here we have the Alaskan cruise line homeport. This time of year many seniors go because the cost is much less, it goes up toward summer when the weather is better. I dont know if that applies to Caribbean cruises, though.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:31 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I'm a senior and openly admit that I generally don't enjoy being around young children. If you're toddler was "just being a toddler" by screaming, running all over the place, throwing food, playing on his/her tablet with the audio turned up loud (all of which we've experinced in restaurants), I'd probably be giving you the stink eye, too. And this is the reason why we will never sail RCCL - it's VERY family friendly. And that's GREAT!!! I just don't wanna be there.

I'LL suggest that those seniors didn't do their homework before booking, or perhaps they were travelling with their grandchildren.

As far as you finding it "depressing" to see the seniors lounging poolside, that's YOUR problem. Imo, it' kinda discriminatory (and petty). I'd liken it to people who look down upon someone who is obese.

But to answer your question: DISNEY. And if you venture back to RCCL or another mass market line, book nothing over 7 days, and consider travelling during school breaks.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:31 PM

768 posts, read 858,141 times
I would like a cruise without kids, but because they don't exist...I do something else.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:57 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Cruises should be enjoyable for everyone. We've been on several and have taken the older grandkids; and also the whole family w/younger grandkids on Disney. We love kids and while Disney is mostly kids, we use the formal dining room experiences -- to teach them how to behave like they are in a more formal setting than McDonalds ... where conversation, not shouting is the norm.

Parents, not their children, are the problem, when they let their children behave however they wish in every situation. In our case, the parents also used the formal dining room as a teaching opportunity. Even toddlers can quickly learn to adapt to expected behavior.

If children are unable to adapt and behave, the family should dine at the Lido/upper deck buffet, instead of expecting the entire formal dining room to adapt to their children. (The same is true on airplanes, where some parents seem to think their children should be able to run in the aisles, kick the seats and otherwise loudly announce their presence).

Old 05-09-2017, 03:58 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
But to answer your question: DISNEY. And if you venture back to RCCL or another mass market line, book nothing over 7 days, and consider travelling during school breaks.
This is good advice. You won't find any cruise line that's free of seniors, but you'll find more of them on:

longer cruises
cruises outside the Caribbean
cruises outside the school holidays
upscale cruise lines

Apart from Disney, I'm not aware of any cruise lines that specifically cater the the young family crowd (probably because it's not a particularly profitable segment of the industry: kids don't drink alcohol (a major source of profit on the budget cruise lines), and young families can't generally afford upscale cruise line prices).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises