U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 08:41 AM

8,803 posts, read 4,720,187 times

Advertisements

So we are trying to decide to go to the Caribbean, Bermuda, or Bahamas in either December, January, or May...When is the best time to go?

In May is there more chance of dealing with hurricanes?

Appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 10:33 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
So we are trying to decide to go to the Caribbean, Bermuda, or Bahamas in either December, January, or May...When is the best time to go?

In May is there more chance of dealing with hurricanes?

Appreciate the feedback.
For starters: you do not do Bermuda in the winter months. Cruising to Bermuda normally starts the last week of April. This leaves you the Caribbean and the Bahamas. Personally I would not waste my money just doing the Bahamas. do the eastern or Western Caribbean with more interesting ports.

No, May is very unlikely to see hurricanes. There was a slight tropical depression the other day that affected the pan handle of Florida but this time of the year it is almost not going to happen. Hurricane season technically runs from June 1 to Nov 30th but rarely are there bad ones until Aug. Then they may be strong until mid Oct. May is usually a great month to go if you do it before the kids are out of school. The rates are a bit lower at that time. Other low rates are normally late Sept to mid November, first week or so of Dec and early Jan. as well as late April after spring break is past.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:37 PM

5,247 posts, read 3,014,518 times
Hurricane season is June 1st to Nov 30.

Bahamas cruises are mostly short 3 or 4 days and are on the older ships.

If I were going to Bermuda, I would fly. Long sea passages are boring. The joy of cruising is being in a different port every day. One with a Spanish heritage one day, British the next and French the next. The US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico are nothing like the mainland US.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:42 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Hurricane season is June 1st to Nov 30.

Bahamas cruises are mostly short 3 or 4 days and are on the older ships.

If I were going to Bermuda, I would fly. Long sea passages are boring. The joy of cruising is being in a different port every day. One with a Spanish heritage one day, British the next and French the next. The US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico are nothing like the mainland US.
I pretty much agree with everything you are saying. We did find plenty to do on our Bermuda cruise last month, but still visiting ports is much more interesting and if, for whatever reason one decides they do not want to get off the ship they can choose to stay on, there usually are some activities for those who choose for whatever reason to stay on board and the good thing about that is, you have the pool area almost all to yourself. We used to get off at every port, not with the years catching up to us and so many ports we have visited many times we do, often stay on the ship. This is the beauty, we have the choice. When doing a cruise like Bermuda you have no choice but to spend 2/3 of the cruise just getting there and back.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:27 AM

37,105 posts, read 45,622,935 times
Where do you live? In the frozen north, we always went to the Caribbean in Jan, Feb or March. Then, spring is just around the corner when you get home.

Anywhere in the Caribbean is nice and warm, and it really doesn’t matter which islands your ship goes too. They’re all much the same, so dont agonize over deciding. Choose according to what you like to do....Costa Rica, Puerto Rico or St Lucia, for rain forests, anywhere for beaches, US VI for glitzy shopping, Mexico is gorgeous.

The more ports, the better. Then you have the option of going ashore or staying on the empty ship. I don’t really enjoy days at sea. I much prefer when the ship tells to a different port during the night. My personal preference is smaller ships, rather than the newer mega ships.

We live driving distance to a few departure ports, so we keep meaning to try some short, cheap, last minute cruises soon. We really don’t care where they go.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:11 PM

5,247 posts, read 3,014,518 times
I totally agree about avoiding mega-ships. They overwhelm the port facilities, moving around on board gets like a cattle drive. If I am thinking of a cruise, the first thing I look at is how many passengers the ship carries.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:17 PM

4,365 posts, read 3,698,498 times
This site might be of interest.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/

Old 06-01-2018, 04:10 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,639,162 times
We did a Bahamas cruise 2 years ago, I believe it was a 4 night cruise. It was fun, but I wouldn't go back to the Bahamas and I wouldn't recommend it. Nassau was a pretty bad port. Royal Caribbeans private island in the Bahamas was really fun though, but not worth a Bahamas cruise. Key West is also pretty boring imo.

We did a western Caribbean cruise last year, 7 night with Royal Caribbean, and it was a blast. We did Costa Maya, which we liked. Roatan, which I can explain more in detail. And Cozumel, which was awesome. Cozumel was the best port we have been to.

Roatan could be neat I think, the island was beautiful, but the seas were really rough and all the beaches were closed. So we had nothing to do, the taxis were even closed. There is a great coral reef around Roatan and we had planned on going scuba diving.

We went snorkeling in Cozumel and that was a lot of fun. Cozumel was the nicest and most enjoyable port we have been to. But we have only been on those two cruises. Cozumel is home to the second largest reef in the world.

I would love to go back to Cozumel. Costa Maya was fun, but not worth a second trip. Our next cruise will likely be a European cruise. We are saving and planning for a big trip in 3 summers.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:58 AM

1,910 posts, read 960,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
We did a Bahamas cruise 2 years ago, I believe it was a 4 night cruise. It was fun, but I wouldn't go back to the Bahamas and I wouldn't recommend it. Nassau was a pretty bad port. Royal Caribbeans private island in the Bahamas was really fun though, but not worth a Bahamas cruise. Key West is also pretty boring imo.

We did a western Caribbean cruise last year, 7 night with Royal Caribbean, and it was a blast. We did Costa Maya, which we liked. Roatan, which I can explain more in detail. And Cozumel, which was awesome. Cozumel was the best port we have been to.

Roatan could be neat I think, the island was beautiful, but the seas were really rough and all the beaches were closed. So we had nothing to do, the taxis were even closed. There is a great coral reef around Roatan and we had planned on going scuba diving.

We went snorkeling in Cozumel and that was a lot of fun. Cozumel was the nicest and most enjoyable port we have been to. But we have only been on those two cruises. Cozumel is home to the second largest reef in the world.

I would love to go back to Cozumel. Costa Maya was fun, but not worth a second trip. Our next cruise will likely be a European cruise. We are saving and planning for a big trip in 3 summers.
As the old joke goes: "HEY! I won FIRST PRIZE in a raffle! It was a three-day cruise to the Bahamas. Second prize was a four-day cruise to the Bahamas. Everybody else got a five-day cruise to the Bahamas."

That said....I'd never turn down a cruise to anywhere, but there are definitely better places to go than the Bahamas.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:05 PM

8,803 posts, read 4,720,187 times
Didn't want to clog the board

So we are hoping to go in January. We were hoping have up to December to pay for the cruise but looks like September.

So thinking of a summer honeymoon cruise.

Wife is against Alaska I think it be romantic. Wants to do something tropical (Hawaii, Greece, Barcelona, Caribbean)

Any idea's for locations?

Princess vs. Norwegian which would you recommend?

Is Princess all inclusive?

Thanks a bunch for the feedback
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or