U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-16-2018, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
7,609 posts, read 4,680,291 times
Reputation: 27841

Advertisements

Iím looking at a brochure from Crystal for their winter cruises. Does anyone have an opinion on these?

Budapest to Amsterdam (Rhine river), 16 days

Rhine River Cruise, Visiting Amsterdam | Nov. 20 - Dec. 6, 2018

Round trip Vienna (Danube river), 10 days

Christmas Market Cruise, Visiting Germany | Nov. 30-Dec. 10, 2018
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2018, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,925 posts, read 83,566,150 times
Reputation: 41739
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Iím looking at a brochure from Crystal for their winter cruises. Does anyone have an opinion on these?

Budapest to Amsterdam (Rhine river), 16 days

Rhine River Cruise, Visiting Amsterdam | Nov. 20 - Dec. 6, 2018

Round trip Vienna (Danube river), 10 days

Christmas Market Cruise, Visiting Germany | Nov. 30-Dec. 10, 2018
Can't imagine any of them not being a wonderful experience. Our daughter and her hubby did one last November and had a great experience. Their only complaint and they are used to spending money was the cost of everything, especially food while on land excursions. Actually I think they found everything pretty pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2018, 04:07 PM
 
132 posts, read 67,346 times
Reputation: 77
I have taken the Viking River Danube cruise - the Christmas markets are wonderful, all of them unique. Vienna's is bigger and slick, while the Czech Republic is very provincial with authentic local flavor. They all feature unique local foods and crafts.

Just be ready for VERY cold weather (long johns, hats with ear muffs, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2018, 08:37 AM
 
12,265 posts, read 18,393,933 times
Reputation: 19088
I've looked into them, never really got past the brouchers. I've been on several European cruises by the way, but river cruises....opinion? -
-Very expensive
-Most of the passengers looked elderly, senior citizens
-All the spots visited can be easily visited and even more accessable by land (i.e. do it yourself), and much cheaper and more freedom.

Thus I discounted them. Might look them up again when I am 90 years old and mobility is an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2018, 12:19 PM
 
Location: North State (California)
39,355 posts, read 2,970,878 times
Reputation: 12853
We did a river cruise about 6 years ago ( Rhine, Amsterdam to Basel) I loved it. I found it cheaper than Ocean cruises, because each stop included a walking tour, & wine was served with dinner at no extra cost. I also loved the scenery from the ship as we sailed down the Rhine. We went in Spring, so had the added bonus of spring blooms, & seeing the tulips at Kreukenhof before we got on the ship. We did the pre & after tour on our own ( 3 days in Amsterdam & 8 days touring Switzerland after the cruise). While we certainly saw a lot on our own travels, I preferred the cruise. It was very relaxing, waking up each morning, in a different city ( or country). I hardly ever eat off ship, all the meals are included, so why would I? Unless we were too far from the ship to eat.
The Christmas markets sound fun, but it would be hard to pay for many items, plus the hassle of trying to get them back home, would be a nightmare ( for me).
I plan on doing the Southern France river cruise next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2018, 05:17 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,925 posts, read 83,566,150 times
Reputation: 41739
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
We did a river cruise about 6 years ago ( Rhine, Amsterdam to Basel) I loved it. I found it cheaper than Ocean cruises, because each stop included a walking tour, & wine was served with dinner at no extra cost. I also loved the scenery from the ship as we sailed down the Rhine. We went in Spring, so had the added bonus of spring blooms, & seeing the tulips at Kreukenhof before we got on the ship. We did the pre & after tour on our own ( 3 days in Amsterdam & 8 days touring Switzerland after the cruise). While we certainly saw a lot on our own travels, I preferred the cruise. It was very relaxing, waking up each morning, in a different city ( or country). I hardly ever eat off ship, all the meals are included, so why would I? Unless we were too far from the ship to eat.
The Christmas markets sound fun, but it would be hard to pay for many items, plus the hassle of trying to get them back home, would be a nightmare ( for me).
I plan on doing the Southern France river cruise next year.
enjoy: I can honestly say, there are not many things we have missed doing in life that I regret, but taking a river cruise is one I wish we had done. If we were 20 or even 10 years hunger and had a bit more disposable income we would do one today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2018, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,065 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Reputation: 24162
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
enjoy: I can honestly say, there are not many things we have missed doing in life that I regret, but taking a river cruise is one I wish we had done. If we were 20 or even 10 years hunger and had a bit more disposable income we would do one today.
I'm very sorry to read that. And promise that I will remember this as we make future vacation plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top