U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 03:11 PM
bUU

11,881 posts, read 8,657,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have not been on Carnival. Iíve avoided it because it seem like the McDonaldís of cruise lines. This may be unfair.
Opinions vary but many consider Royal Caribbean to be the Burger King of cruise lines, or at best, the Chik-fil-A of cruise lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 04:41 PM

3,412 posts, read 3,220,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Not that much difference between Carnival and Royal Carribean, with Carnival being the slightly more "party, children running around everwhere" boat...but only slightly.

These carribean cruises are really meant and marketed for the poor masses that want to travel but can't afford to do real travel, are too scared to go on there own, or have kids that need a controlled space. Generic ships, generic food, generic "fake plastic" port stops in the Carribean. I saw "McDonald's" mentioned and that's a good description - the "McDonald's" of the travel industry and I would apply it to any of these standard carribean cruise lines, not only Carnival. I am going to be frank with you - from your description of what you like I suspect you will end up hating the cruise, or at least going once and never to return. But if nothing else you can avoid the circus that is the ship itself by finding a quite place just to relax, or get a balcony room and just relax on your private balcony. Don't expect any adventure or genuine culture or history in those tired old port stops, but again just relax and take it for what it is.
For myself, I do like cruises, but I deplore and hate with a passion Carribean cruises. If you really want a great cruise take one leaving from Europe or Asia, or take one of those smaller (and much more expensive) cruise ships.
Or they like the fact they can visit more than one place and not have to stay a week. Some that go on Caribbean cruises don't even get off the ship. To each their own.

By your own logic, you're to scared or lack the funds to take a proper European or Asian vacation so you take those kinds of cruises.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:20 AM

71,937 posts, read 83,581,802 times
We have cruised on all the mass marketed lines. I agree with JKgourmet, go with a travel agent the first time around. Doing it on your own isn't the best way. I also agree that cruising out of Miami is a better way to go and stay with at least a 5 day if not longer cruise. I would forget about Sept, but mid to late Oct should be a decent time. Yes, hurricane season technically lasts until late Nov, it is rare to see any after mid Oct.

Just my opinion of the mass marketed lines:

Carnival, larger cabins, fun but somewhat still a party atmosphere. Probably not the best choice for non drinkers, but not a bad line. I do find their ships a bit gaudy, just my view.

Holland America; a wonderful line. Hardly anything negative to say, but in your 30s, they may send you to the kids club, cause almost everyone will be twice your age. It is really geared to seniors. We tried them when we were in our 60s and still felt like the babies.

RCI: a good line, middle of the road. There older ships, that do the short cruises are really old and not the best for getting a good feeling about cruising. The positive side, a great mixture of ages and the newer ships are fantastic. To enjoy the nicer ships you would have to go for a 7 day cruise. Certainly a lot of 30 something cruisers on the ships

Princess: also an older crowd. The ships are nice, well decorated, nice cabins and fair food, but the service has not always been to our liking. The entertainment leans somewhat to the older generation. The food was good, but not outstanding.

NCL: very much like RCI. The short cruises are really geared to drinkers so probably not the best choice for you. The 7 day cruiser offer a lot of dining options, both free and with a service charge. they usually run a promo that will include a couple of free meals in the specialty dining rooms. one complaint some have about NCL is, they do have a higher gratuity policy and some do not like the free style dining policy. We happen to love it Like RCI there is a great mixture of demographics on NCL ships.

I would do a couple of things: 1-as mentioned go to CC and get some ideas. Don't take everything too seriously though. 2-get a good, reliable and honest TA. As JK said, she has some ideas . 3-I think NCL and RCI would be your best bets. Just let the Travel agent know what you are thinking or and she will take it from there.

Good luck.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:05 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Holland America; a wonderful line. Hardly anything negative to say, but in your 30s, they may send you to the kids club, cause almost everyone will be twice your age. It is really geared to seniors. We tried them when we were in our 60s and still felt like the babies.
They are changing. The old folks are complaining big time, but the cruise line isn't relenting in its efforts to strive for relevance for the core of the market. My spouse is applying for Medicare next year and we met many more passengers younger than that on our recent cruise than older than that.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:18 AM

1,765 posts, read 564,869 times
I donít now, and never have done, any cruises. However a friend of mine goes all the time. He said he tried a Disney Cruise (I didnít even realize they did them) for the first time and he said that it was a bit smaller than the others he had been on but was the best overall cruise experience heís ever had. Heís planning on doing more with them. FWIW.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:26 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I don’t now, and never have done, any cruises. However a friend of mine goes all the time. He said he tried a Disney Cruise (I didn’t even realize they did them) for the first time and he said that it was a bit smaller than the others he had been on but was the best overall cruise experience he’s ever had. He’s planning on doing more with them. FWIW.
Our one Disney cruise was excellent - but you pay for it. Disney charges significantly more for what is essentially the same service specification as other, generally less pricey cruise lines, as least with regard to the core inclusions: Accommodations, dining, the presence of (if not the specific nature of the) entertainment, etc. Yes, Disney does do it better, but if you don't derive a lot of value from the Disney IP that is featured in the service specification for their cruises then you may find Disney a bit lacking in overall value. We're relatively big Disney fans, as compared to some. We own a Disney timeshare and have visited their theme parks in Florida about fifty times in the last thirty years. However, as much as the prices for visiting their theme parks and eating at their restaurants are pretty high, we find their cruise pricing yet-even higher such that we choose to cruise other cruise lines rather than Disney.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I donít now, and never have done, any cruises. However a friend of mine goes all the time. He said he tried a Disney Cruise (I didnít even realize they did them) for the first time and he said that it was a bit smaller than the others he had been on but was the best overall cruise experience heís ever had. Heís planning on doing more with them. FWIW.

For the price he is paying for Disney, he could go on 2 or 3 seven day cruises on the cheaper lines. If it's about experiencing Disney, go to one of the parks.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:02 AM

1,765 posts, read 564,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
For the price he is paying for Disney, he could go on 2 or 3 seven day cruises on the cheaper lines. If it's about experiencing Disney, go to one of the parks.
He enjoyed the experience for the price he paid and parks don’t visit different ports.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
He enjoyed the experience for the price he paid and parks donít visit different ports.
You can visit different countries! Haha.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:56 PM

326 posts, read 116,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Opinions vary but many consider Royal Caribbean to be the Burger King of cruise lines, or at best, the Chik-fil-A of cruise lines.
I've enjoyed the cruises I've been on.... all out of Seattle so far. No basis for comparison because I've never been on another... but if RCI is the BK of cruise lines I must be missing out because I've been happy so far with the quality and service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
RCI: a good line, middle of the road. There older ships, that do the short cruises are really old and not the best for getting a good feeling about cruising. The positive side, a great mixture of ages and the newer ships are fantastic. To enjoy the nicer ships you would have to go for a 7 day cruise. Certainly a lot of 30 something cruisers on the ships
Agreed... 7 days or bust for me. After Alaska last year I'm taking Explorer of the Seas (2000) again this year on my cruise down to SF in September.

The new Ovation of the Seas (2016) is repositioning to Seattle for 2019 and I'm taking it to Alaska next year. I'm looking forward to seeing the differences between the two.

I'm in my 40's and the crowd did seem to be more 30+...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or