U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2018, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
2,755 posts, read 4,904,115 times
Reputation: 2068

Advertisements

Thanks, but we read about the rain and picked up a couple of light ponchos to take with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2018, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Land of the Great Bears
3,483 posts, read 1,910,652 times
Reputation: 3792
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
FWIW Alaska gets a lot of rain, over 120 inches annually, so take an umbrella with you. We took 2 cruises to Alaska. First one was the first week of Sept and it rained 5 out of 7 days. The 2nd cruise was in July and we had the most beautiful weather ever everyday.

Coastal Alaska typically receives a lot of rain, but it varies from Ketchikan's 150+ inches annually to downtown Juneau's 90+ inches to Skagway's 30 inches.

September will be wettest month of the cruise season, with May being driest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2018, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Land of the Great Bears
3,483 posts, read 1,910,652 times
Reputation: 3792
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I see that Skagway, one of our ports, only has some 1000 people total. That must be one hell of an impact when a ship docks with 3000 passengers. Good income locally?
.
I believe it's less than 1000 yearly residents. Cruise ships can bring 10,000 a day into this port.

So yes, it's an enormous impact in all ways. Not sure what the numbers are for Skagway but I've heard that tourism brings a million dollars a day into Juneau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2018, 09:08 AM
 
326 posts, read 116,381 times
Reputation: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
FWIW Alaska gets a lot of rain, over 120 inches annually, so take an umbrella with you. We took 2 cruises to Alaska. First one was the first week of Sept and it rained 5 out of 7 days. The 2nd cruise was in July and we had the most beautiful weather ever everyday.

I guess I picked a good month then... I went a year ago 8/11 - 8/18 2017 and there was only one day where the rain was noticeable... a slight drizzle in Skagway. The other days were overcast and if it did rain it was a mist that didn't require an umbrella...


... much like how it is in Seattle in the rainy season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2018, 06:50 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
Reputation: 33476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
No tenders on the Alaska route. An advantage to a "late season" cruise is the tacky gift shops start to lower the prices on this years junk. I was on the last cruise for the season and got a hat for a dollar.



I drink like a fish, and I couldn't break even on those deals. I just grab a case of beer on shore and bring it back to the cabin. Never have a problem. Don't give me a hard time, either.

I applaud you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2018, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...a traveling man.
39,529 posts, read 47,699,472 times
Reputation: 110331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I drink like a fish, and I couldn't break even on those deals. I just grab a case of beer on shore and bring it back to the cabin. Never have a problem. Don't give me a hard time, either.
“Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception – At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage. Bringing alcohol on board could get you kicked off the ship.
https://www.cruzely.com/what-happens...l-on-a-cruise/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2018, 05:54 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,066 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Reputation: 24162
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
“Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception – At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage. Bringing alcohol on board could get you kicked off the ship.
https://www.cruzely.com/what-happens...l-on-a-cruise/
They won't listen. We've been on cruises where people brag about the number of rum runners they were able to hide on their body. We've been on cruises where people are spiking the free orange juice with their nip bottles. We had one guy who filled a water glass with ice and pored straight gin into it before he left his cabin - frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2018, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,925 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Reputation: 41739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
They won't listen. We've been on cruises where people brag about the number of rum runners they were able to hide on their body. We've been on cruises where people are spiking the free orange juice with their nip bottles. We had one guy who filled a water glass with ice and pored straight gin into it before he left his cabin - frequently.
We have all or some of us anyway,too many times. It is one thing to be frugal. In fact it is a good thing, but when you think rules are for others or you brag about beating the system, there is only one word: CHEAP and not in a pretty way..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2018, 03:14 PM
 
326 posts, read 116,381 times
Reputation: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We have all or some of us anyway,too many times. It is one thing to be frugal. In fact it is a good thing, but when you think rules are for others or you brag about beating the system, there is only one word: CHEAP and not in a pretty way..
Yeah... that's pretty funny. People can afford to cruise but can't afford to buy alcohol or tip for service.

I just paid $347 with gratuity for the everything goes drink package... $347/7 = $49.57 a day or about 4 drinks at regular price. I don't drink often, but I know for a fact I'll be having more than 4 every day while I'm on vacation. I think last year I had about 70-80 drinks for the week... I lost count after the 4th day. Those fruity vodka drinks are just so good!


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2018, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,066 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Reputation: 24162
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsCruisin View Post
Yeah... that's pretty funny. People can afford to cruise but can't afford to buy alcohol or tip for service.

I just paid $347 with gratuity for the everything goes drink package... $347/7 = $49.57 a day or about 4 drinks at regular price. I don't drink often, but I know for a fact I'll be having more than 4 every day while I'm on vacation. I think last year I had about 70-80 drinks for the week... I lost count after the 4th day. Those fruity vodka drinks are just so good!



A smart man. An honest man. Few and far between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top