U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 02:18 PM

71,945 posts, read 83,597,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsCruisin View Post
That's one thing I'll say was one of the best things about RCI... the main dining room food was amazing. Everything from appetizers to desserts. I was quite pleased with lobster tails... filet mignon... prime rib... with no limit on the main course.

Definitely didn't have pot roast and sirloin steaks. It was good enough where I was never tempted to try a specialty restaurant.
Just out of curiosity when was the last time you sailed RCI? I only ask because many in the past year or so have voiced opinions about their MDR food and suggested it has gone down hill. I have cruised them for years so am not an expert by any means. when we did sail them , they did have Sirloin steak as a matter of fact.

I do agree with JKGourmet, the food on NCL isn't top of the line though it has gotten better in the past 4 or 5 years I think. That being said, it seems many people on Cruise Critic are griping about the food on all lines lately.

Last edited by nmnita; 08-19-2018 at 02:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
many are boycotting NCL for their handling of the SS Norway/France
OMG, what are you talking about? DO you have any idea how many years ago that was? I doubt those who sail NCL for the most part even know what happened of what SS Norway was? Just to clear something up: NCL ships like RCI, Celebrity Carnival etc go out just about full every sailing!!!!

Old 08-20-2018, 05:47 AM

15,069 posts, read 19,002,971 times
A couple of posts have asked why I won't sail RCCL again.

Simple: The number of kids. I'm not particularly fond or familiar with kids. None at all in my immediate family, and my cousins who did have kids live in england. As many will attest, friends with kids often 'disappear' to others with whom they have more in common. So - no exposure for me.

RCCL specializes in families with kids. Water slides, Ice rinks, rock climbing walls, surf simulators, zip lines, etc. And there's NOTHING wrong with that. I'm genuinely glad that families have such a wonderful place to vacation. I just don't want the noise and running around that children naturally make - and SHOULD make in some situations. And my zip lining days are behind me.

This is also the reason we avoid sailing at certain times of the year, and try to take longer cruises - often with itineraries that don't attract families with kids. We avoid restaurants that are family type places. We choose to live in a small community with zero kids, and would have chosen a 55+ if it was in the location and had floor plans we wanted.

I think it's wonderful that we all live in a time and country with all these choices.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Simple: The number of kids. I'm not particularly fond or familiar with kids. None at all in my immediate family, and my cousins who did have kids live in england. As many will attest, friends with kids often 'disappear' to others with whom they have more in common. So - no exposure for me.

RCCL specializes in families with kids. Water slides, Ice rinks, rock climbing walls, surf simulators, zip lines, etc. And there's NOTHING wrong with that. I'm genuinely glad that families have such a wonderful place to vacation. I just don't want the noise and running around that children naturally make - and SHOULD make in some situations. And my zip lining days are behind me.

This is also the reason we avoid sailing at certain times of the year, and try to take longer cruises - often with itineraries that don't attract families with kids. We avoid restaurants that are family type places. We choose to live in a small community with zero kids, and would have chosen a 55+ if it was in the location and had floor plans we wanted.

I think it's wonderful that we all live in a time and country with all these choices.
Don't get me started on sailing with kids!!! ONG, our cruise on NCLs Breakaway a few years ago was the cruise from hell. 2254 kids on the ship, rain and cold weather 4 or the 7 days. Believe it or not we did have a good time, but still it was hell.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:21 PM

326 posts, read 116,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just out of curiosity when was the last time you sailed RCI? I only ask because many in the past year or so have voiced opinions about their MDR food and suggested it has gone down hill. I have cruised them for years so am not an expert by any means. when we did sail them , they did have Sirloin steak as a matter of fact.
Every year since 2014 with the most recent being Alaska in 2017. My 2018 cruise is Sept 28th... Seattle > Astoria > SF > SF > Victoria > Seattle. For 2019 I'm planning the caribbean out of FL.

I don't have anything to compare to because I've never cruised with anyone else. I did just look at the pictures from last cruise and I had some pics of the MDR menu for one evening. Here it is...

Starters:
Creamed Wild Mushrooms,Royal Seafood Salad, Duck and Port Wine Terrine, Roasted Poblano Pepper and Corn soup, Double Duck Consomme, Roasted Peach Soup, House Salad, Royal Prawn Cocktail

Classics:
Linguini with Pomodoro Sauce, Marinated Grilled Chicken Breast, Broiled Atlantic Salmon, Premium Angus Beef Sliders, Aged Manhattan Strip Steak

Main Courses:
Three-Cheese Tortelloni, Vegetarian Soy Nuggets, Thai Chicken Breast, Broiled Lobster Tail, Slow-Roasted Prime Rib, Snow Crab Salad

Premium Select:
Whole Maine Lobster, Chops Grille Filet Mignon, Surf and Turf

Desserts:
Ivory Chocolate Mousse, Baked Alaska, Sugar free Coconut Gateaux

Classic desserts:
Creme Brulee, Apple Pie a la mode, NY Cheesecake, Royal Chocolate Cake, Artisan Cheese Plate, Seasonal Fruit Medley

Now to me that's a pretty amazing menu and it's been like that every year. If this is really "going downhill" I would love to see what the top of the mountain cruise line is offering.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:

Simple: The number of kids. I'm not particularly fond or familiar with kids.

Nothing wrong with that. I can't really say I've considered any of my cruises with RCI to be overloaded with kids to the point of me being annoyed... not at all. I'm 44 with an autistic 21 year old (the ultimate test of patience) and last year's Alaska cruise was IMO full of a crowd my age. The only place I can say I spotted lots of kids was the video game room. Even the pools were full of adults as were the hot tubs. Maybe the flocks of kids stayed home because it was cloudy Alaska? LOL

At any rate, it's definitely good to have choices. I've stayed away from Carnival based on their party animal crowd reputation because those days are behind me.

Old 08-21-2018, 04:00 PM

15,069 posts, read 19,002,971 times
Quote:
each Soup, House Salad, Royal Prawn Cocktail

Classics:
Linguini with Pomodoro Sauce, Marinated Grilled Chicken Breast, Broiled Atlantic Salmon, Premium Angus Beef Sliders, Aged Manhattan Strip Steak

Main Courses:
Three-Cheese Tortelloni, Vegetarian Soy Nuggets, Thai Chicken Breast, Broiled Lobster Tail, Slow-Roasted Prime Rib, Snow Crab Salad

Premium Select:

LuvsCruisin, can you explain what the difference is between these three parts of the menu? I'm guesing that the Classics are available everynight, while the Main and the Premium change daily???? Does Premium cost more???

Old 08-21-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
LuvsCruisin, can you explain what the difference is between these three parts of the menu? I'm guesing that the Classics are available everynight, while the Main and the Premium change daily???? Does Premium cost more???
Yes that's correct. The classics are every night and the others change. That night the premium was $29.95 and $16.95 for the first 2... with the combo S&T being $34.95.

I didn't do the premium at all on this cruise... I was more than happy with the main course variety each evening and the clincher was the no limit on main course. You could have one and then get something different... or multiples of the same. This also applied to starters and desserts. This particular night I had 4 lobster tails. There was no additional charge so I didn't see the point in the premium selections.

I'll be posting my thoughts on next month's coastal cruise on Explorer of the Seas. if it's anything like last year's Alaska cruise on the same ship I'm going to be quite happy. I had zero complaints about the food and service and I just added the complete drink package for $347... about $50 a day.

I've been really busy this summer at work... averaging 99 hours per week since July 9th... 594 hours in 6 weeks. Haven't had a day off since July 15th. I'm gonna be ready for this cruise... drink will be in hand.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:36 AM

11,043 posts, read 3,987,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

I do agree with JKGourmet, the food on NCL isn't top of the line though it has gotten better in the past 4 or 5 years I think. That being said, it seems many people on Cruise Critic are griping about the food on all lines lately.

We cruised with RCCL last October. I agree the food was not as great as I once remembered, but it was ok. We're not gourmet food eaters by any means, but we were disappointed in the meal selections a bit. I also don't like that you have to pay f you want to eat in one of the "restaurants". I remember when everything was included and I really feel that's how it should be!

Old 08-29-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Every year since 2014 with the most recent being Alaska in 2017. My 2018 cruise is Sept 28th... Seattle > Astoria > SF > SF > Victoria > Seattle. For 2019 I'm planning the caribbean out of FL.

I don't have anything to compare to because I've never cruised with anyone else. I did just look at the pictures from last cruise and I had some pics of the MDR menu for one evening. Here it is...

Starters:
Creamed Wild Mushrooms,Royal Seafood Salad, Duck and Port Wine Terrine, Roasted Poblano Pepper and Corn soup, Double Duck Consomme, Roasted Peach Soup, House Salad, Royal Prawn Cocktail

Classics:

Main Courses:

Premium Select:

Desserts:
Ivory Chocolate Mousse, Baked Alaska, Sugar free Coconut Gateaux

Classic desserts:
Creme Brulee, Apple Pie a la mode, NY Cheesecake, Royal Chocolate Cake, Artisan Cheese Plate, Seasonal Fruit Medley

Now to me that's a pretty amazing menu and it's been like that every year. If this is really "going downhill" I would love to see what the top of the mountain cruise line is offering.

Oh, I am not trying to be negative, I was just curious. Most lines the menu sounds about like what you are quoting but often when the dish arrives it isn't quite as exciting as the wording on the menu. I think food is so subjective it is hard to judge what is really good and what is mediocre. There is also a huge difference in the quality on the standard menu and the quality on the premium menu. I will say, having Lobster regardless of the price is a positive, even though the Lobsters are frozen and usually not the top quality. Many lines, including NCL are no longer serving it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises