U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2018, 09:06 AM

11,043 posts, read 3,999,069 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I have cruised many times, but have never cruised on Norwegian. I have recently looked at their website and they seemed high compared to RC, but after I signed up to get their deals I'm getting very good offers that also have a lot of inclusions. What has been your experience with this cruise line and would you recommend over other cruise lines? How are their staterooms, dining, entertainment, etc. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 10:10 AM

72,027 posts, read 83,705,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Hi all!

I have cruised many times, but have never cruised on Norwegian. I have recently looked at their website and they seemed high compared to RC, but after I signed up to get their deals I'm getting very good offers that also have a lot of inclusions. What has been your experience with this cruise line and would you recommend over other cruise lines? How are their staterooms, dining, entertainment, etc. Thanks!
Well I probably have cruised them more than anyone on this forum. We have cruised over 40 times, about 20 with NCL. Due to age and finances we are down to one cruise every 9 months or so and for the last 4 years we have stuck with NCL. Of course partly because we are platinum plus and get perks, but that wasn't the reason in the beginning.

1-yes, some of their prices seem high, but that could have to do with so many newer ships they are putting in the water. also the perk packages are the higher priced but they come with so much things included, like specialty dining, unlimited drinks, discounts on excursions, in some cases gratuities paid, etc.

Here are answers to your questions: cabin; they are just about the size of any line: the only ones that would
be a little larger are Carnival and Holland America. NCL does have fairly small balconies.

Dining is so subjective: In the MDRs the food is certainly good with few complaints but it isn't gourmet. The buffets are better than some, not as good as others. Where NCL stands out is their great selection of dining choices both sur charge ones and one included in the base price. That plus the totally open dining in the MDRs. Most lines have some form, but because NCL was the first they seem to do it better.

Entertainment is considered one of the best at sea.

The service is generally outstanding, but like anything it can be hit or miss. We have found the smaller older ships seem to have better service with a friendlier crew. Of course some people will give up some service for the many activities the mega ships offer. Because of our advancing age, we are not mega ship lovers regardless of the line.

So now you know my feelings. I am sure others will give you a different view or maybe about the same. If you have anymore questions just shot them this way.

Just thought of a couple more cons: 1-they do have the highest gratuity program but you can have it removed from you account. The only problem, if you do that, they still charge you but they will reimburse you after the cruise. I don't like the charge, but we have learned to live with it and I see the reasoning. The mandatory tips when in to affect when too many didn't tip at all. So we have ourselves to blame.

The other negative, with the exception of continental breakfast there is a charge for room service. It is $7.95 which I believe is the same that RCI is now charging.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:02 PM

782 posts, read 480,257 times
I've cruised NCL twice and it's tied with Carnival as my least favorite cruise line. The food isn't very good, the decor feels downscale and there's just nothing special or memorable about the ships compared to, say, Celebrity. Service on the Pride of America was the worst of any cruise for me.

On the plus side, their itineraries are often above average and the base fare is usually very competetive, although be prepared to pay for anything extra, such as the aforementioned room service.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
I've cruised NCL twice and it's tied with Carnival as my least favorite cruise line. The food isn't very good, the decor feels downscale and there's just nothing special or memorable about the ships compared to, say, Celebrity. Service on the Pride of America was the worst of any cruise for me.

On the plus side, their itineraries are often above average and the base fare is usually very competetive, although be prepared to pay for anything extra, such as the aforementioned room service.

for service the Pride of America is not a good comparison for many reasons. I will not list them, but believe me most NCL ships have outstanding service. I am guessing you haven't cruised NCL in at least a few years if not more. Most of the NCL ships that are more than 4 years old have undergone a huge renovation and the line has new ships coming out yearly, if not more often.

I realize we all have our favorites, that is what the world is all about but you might be surprised at how NCL as changed. We have sailed Celebrity for instance, 3 times. One cruise was outstanding, great service, nice cabin, good food and good itinerary. One was pretty much run of the mill but certainly not bad by any means our tried one, which was several years ago I will mention had not one positive thing about the ship Of course the ship was older and has now been retired. Our grand daughter got married on the ship before we sailed. That was the positive about that sailing but even the reception had some hang ups and our service was less than what we had expected.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:49 AM

13,107 posts, read 24,905,013 times
I've cruised NCL, as a matter of fact I leave Thursday for Copenhagen for the Baltic cruise, also booked on a trans atlantic for April.
The biggest draw for me is the freestyle, I'm on vacation, I want to eat when I'm ready, not locked into a specific dining time. I'm not a foody, so not looking for NYC style gourmet food.
Carnival is too much of a party atmosphere for me, you may be different. Never cruised RCCL so can't say what they are like.
As far as mass market cruise lines, I like NCL.

On my cruise that leaves Saturday I won a bid for the Haven rooms, can't wait to see what that's like.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I've cruised NCL, as a matter of fact I leave Thursday for Copenhagen for the Baltic cruise, also booked on a trans atlantic for April.
The biggest draw for me is the freestyle, I'm on vacation, I want to eat when I'm ready, not locked into a specific dining time. I'm not a foody, so not looking for NYC style gourmet food.
Carnival is too much of a party atmosphere for me, you may be different. Never cruised RCCL so can't say what they are like.
As far as mass market cruise lines, I like NCL.

On my cruise that leaves Saturday I won a bid for the Haven rooms, can't wait to see what that's like.
OMG you are going to be in the haven. Good for you and I love the sound of your itinerary as well.Keep up posed when you get back; happy sailing!!!!

Old 08-15-2018, 01:45 PM

12,310 posts, read 18,429,303 times
Yeah I've cruised NCl in Europe. An important note here - European cruises are MUCH different from the mass market Caribbean cruises. From what I heard, the Caribbean cruises on these mass market ships is pretty much interchangeable. On the European cruise I found NCL to be much more....stately I guess you can say. Much more of a classic, mature, and distinguished cruising style.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:32 PM

15,082 posts, read 19,041,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah I've cruised NCl in Europe. An important note here - European cruises are MUCH different from the mass market Caribbean cruises. From what I heard, the Caribbean cruises on these mass market ships is pretty much interchangeable. On the European cruise I found NCL to be much more....stately I guess you can say. Much more of a classic, mature, and distinguished cruising style.
I'm not exactly sure what you are saying, but:

Having sailed at least four different cruise lines in the Caribbean (plus 3 in other locations), I do NOT agree that the "mass market ships are interchangeable". Each has their target demographics and market differentiators.

We liked many things about NCL and wouldn't hesitate to sail with them again. We did Europe back to back cruises with them - 21 days. It was an excellent cruise; but the words "stately, classic, distinguished" would never enter my mind . Mature? Yeah, I'll go along with that.

Our onlymajor gripe with NCL was the main dining room food. We found it dull, bland standard stuff. Meat loaf, mashed potatoes, pot roast, sirloin steak. It was disappointing. Nonetheless, we absolutely would go on another cruise with them because the speciality restaurants were excellent and the buffet consistently interesting, varied and fresh.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 08-15-2018 at 08:42 PM..

Old 08-15-2018, 08:48 PM

326 posts, read 117,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Our onlymajor gripe with NCL was the main dining room food. We found it dull, bland standard stuff. Meat loaf, mashed potatoes, pot roast, sirloin steak. It was disappointing. Nonetheless, we absolutely would go on another cruise with them because the speciality restaurants were excellent and the buffet consistently interesting, varied and fresh.

That's one thing I'll say was one of the best things about RCI... the main dining room food was amazing. Everything from appetizers to desserts. I was quite pleased with lobster tails... filet mignon... prime rib... with no limit on the main course.

Definitely didn't have pot roast and sirloin steaks. It was good enough where I was never tempted to try a specialty restaurant.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:11 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,541,028 times
check out "Cruise critic" forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises