U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 01:18 PM

15,070 posts, read 19,008,543 times

Advertisements

The only ship that I am aware of that still has true Formal nights is the Cunard line (Queen Mary, etc.)

The other cruise lines have gone casual all the time, everywhere OR casual most nights with a few dressier nights during the cruise - typically two in a seven day cruise. For example, Celebrity calls those nights "chic". You would see a few women turn up in sparkly cocktail dresses and a few men in tuxes, but the majority are dressed far less fancy than that. I would describe it as 'Classic Country Club' type stuff. Men - long sleeves and slack, a few wear sportcoats or ties. Some men just go with a nicer polo shirt. Women - nice slacks or skirt with a nice blouse, or a dress. "Designer jeans" are also acceptable, but not shorts. In truth, the staff is unlikely to turn anyone away.

About the ONLY thing that is not allowed in the main dining rooms are bathing suits and 'wife-beater' T-shirts. Other dining areas do allow them.

Each cruise line has its stated 'dress code'. It's pretty loosie-goosie, to tell you the truth. And some of the participants on cruise critic get themselves into a snit when somebody asks if they HAVE to dress up on those slightly more formal nights. So don't get wound up about this. Just dress up or down as much as you are comfortable doing.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 10-11-2018 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 04:09 PM

4,241 posts, read 8,082,156 times
On our two recent Windstar cruises, which had 2-3 dining option areas, all that was required was pants/slacks for men and no tee shirts or denim jeans, and obviously no beach wear for either sex, but Norway & Iceland were not conducive for those garments.

We have been on larger ships where a jacket was req'd one night, though they had a few available to borrow.

Whatever line/itin the OP chooses, just check out the Rs & Rs before and make sure they fit your wants and needs.

With the more 'adventuresome' itins and on shore travel these days, I personally would not get back on a ship that had a 'prom night' dress req'd, but everyone has their own bag.
GL, mD

Old 10-11-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
We have been on larger ships where a jacket was req'd one night, though they had a few available to borrow.

It must have been a long time since you've been on a larger ship. The only line that I know of that requires a jacket for men is Cunard - and I doubt that they are lending one to anybody.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:59 AM

No arm wrestle...
3 or 4 years ago on Princess ship cruise from Vancouver to Whittier. I guess that is considered a 'long time'...
At least one dinner night had a req of jacket for men.

I didn't have one, but our room steward rustled one up for me.

Last edited by motordavid; 10-12-2018 at 09:08 AM..

Old 10-12-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
No arm wrestle...
3 or 4 years ago on Princess ship cruise from Vancouver to Whittier. I guess that is considered a 'long time'...
At least one dinner night had a req of jacket for men.

I didn't have one, but our room steward rustled one up for me.

My apologies! Princess does still have a formal night, at least according to their written policy. I doubt that everyone follows it. And I doubt that we would sail them again if they enforce it. My days of lugging formal wear on a plane or done and over with.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
My apologies! Princess does still have a formal night, at least according to their written policy. I doubt that everyone follows it. And I doubt that we would sail them again if they enforce it. My days of lugging formal wear on a plane or done and over with.
+2, here...

Old 10-12-2018, 08:02 PM

31,651 posts, read 19,962,004 times
Ships offer all kinds of options, if you are not inclined to go to any meal that has a dress code, there are about 40 other options for food.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 10-13-2018, 03:47 AM

4,322 posts, read 8,262,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
Panama canal cruises tend to be longer and so, do not have many children.
that is why I booked one Nov 25th. Need less kids, although I love kids

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:38 AM

Very smart (as long as Thanksgiving is over by that date).

Our favorite time for cruising are the months of December before Christmas and January after New Year's. Nearly always, it's Few kids, cheaper prices, less passengers. Win-win-win.

We do make exceptions for certain itineraries, but they are typically routed that wouldn't include many kids and/or longer cruises. Those 'special' itineraries usually produce sold out and more expensive cruises, but are the ones that still interest us.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:25 AM

6,992 posts, read 6,987,396 times
Do the excursions in port all cost extra or are some included in the price of the cruise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or