Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 12:20 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Do the excursions in port all cost extra or are some included in the price of the cruise?
The river cruise, we went on, (Viking) had an included walking or bus tour at every stop, every morning. We really enjoyed them. I prefer river cruising to Ocean, as the cruising time is so scenic. If you also enjoy wine or beer with dinner, it is included, so that cuts out the bar bill on Ocean cruises. There was only one child on the one we went on, & as there can be steps ( no elevators) to the cabins, I did not see anyone on a scooter, although I am sure they would be allowed on the upper decks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 03:43 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Quote:
Thank you all for wonderful advice! I will check it all out. Any more ideas about ships for adults will be much appreciated.

Another question I have is how to dress. Do people “dress” for dinner or on the last night? Or every evening on certain ships?
I take a blazer and a tie for dress up nights. For me a monkey suit will never happen.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:15 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
We went on a Celebrity repositioning cruise last April. It was 14 days from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome.
Absolutely fantastic. We loved the days at sea, even more than the port excursions, which were crowded and hectic. Didn't pay for any tours, just walked around the cities a bit. For comparison, this cruise was just $950---for 14 days! Of course, that is before tipping and doesn't include drinks.

This cruise was all our demographic, 60s and 70s. We actually felt young there, LOL. Only 3 or 4 kids out of the 2,500 aboard. Dancing every night, with some professionals to watch. Really fun. Shows every night.
Some dressed up for dinner; we just put on our "better" clothes.

On a repositioning cruise, you do have to fly back one-way though. There is another one to Madrid this year, we are considering. We were very happy with Celebrity.
Thanks! This sounds wonderful. Question, though... On the repositioning cruises, does the passenger have to pay airfare both ways, i.e., no airfare at all included in cruise price?

Old 10-18-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
We went on a Celebrity repositioning cruise last April. It was 14 days from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome.
Absolutely fantastic. We loved the days at sea, even more than the port excursions, which were crowded and hectic. Didn't pay for any tours, just walked around the cities a bit. For comparison, this cruise was just $950---for 14 days! Of course, that is before tipping and doesn't include drinks.

This cruise was all our demographic, 60s and 70s. We actually felt young there, LOL. Only 3 or 4 kids out of the 2,500 aboard. Dancing every night, with some professionals to watch. Really fun. Shows every night.
Some dressed up for dinner; we just put on our "better" clothes.

On a repositioning cruise, you do have to fly back one-way though. There is another one to Madrid this year, we are considering. We were very happy with Celebrity.

Sounds great! On your repositioning Celebrity cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Rome, how many ports of call were there? Were there lots of days at sea?

Old 10-18-2018, 01:23 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
We are a retired couple in our mid 70's but very mobile and in reasonably good health. We walked 45 miles on our last coach tour outings. We are thinking of a cruise, possibly to the Panama Canal or Ireland. We don't want to be on a ship with a lot of families. Kids running around and/or screaming drives us crazy. However, as I read various forums, I see that a lot of people who need wheelchairs, scooters or canes take cruises. I wonder if these people in vehicles or with canes will be constantly blocking the area? Plus, having lots of these folks on a trip seems a little depressing.

It seems that on a cruise ship, we might have one or the other--kids or immobile old people. Any suggestion as to which cruise line might be best for us?

(Sorry if I offend anyone.)
Hints on few kids, the longer the cruise the less chance of kids. Take cruises when school is in session although that doesn't prevent the home schoolers. Stay away from Disney.

People in wheel chairs or scooters actually aren't that big of an issue as handicapped rooms are limited, at least on the numerous cruises I have been on. I don't think on any of our cruises we saw more than 2 or 3 scooters.

I have been on Royal Caribbean several times, Carnival and Norwegian. By far Royal Caribbean was my favorite. Carnival was the worst. Others might disagree but that was both me and my husband's plus my friends opinion. Personally, when you have days at sea I like the larger ships as there is more to keep you busy and surprisingly I found the larger ships didn't feel that crowded. Again, others may disagree.

Lastly, if you are having to fly in to the cruise, fly in a day or two before hand (the longer away make it two days at least) so that you don't run into any flying difficulties.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:40 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Oh, one other thing. Before booking but after you have picked the line and the date do a search for that cruise and see if there are any groups that have booked. Recently news was about some business that took all the men staff on a cruise and brought along strippers. Wasn't a pleasant time had by all and not something you want to experience on your first ever cruise.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:16 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
I'll give another commercial for UnCruise (I've done it in other posts)- no financial interest in them but I've taken 3 of their cruises and am booked on two more. Ships are under 100 passengers, focused on hiking, swimming, kayaking and snorkeling. No locks on the stateroom doors, no fancy dress nights. There ARE kids but the ones I've seen have been well-selected. This is an expensive trip and you're not going to bring a kid who will spend it playing video games or complaining. The adults are mostly, but not all, retired; others are mostly in their 50s.

Not for everyone but it may be what you're looking for.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:47 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Itinerary is just as important as cruise line in determining how many children will be onboard and whether they will impact your vacation.

Alaskan cruises will have a lot of children onboard, but they will rarely be a bother, as there is so much for everyone to do in port. Everyone seems to go ashore.

Longer cruises if they are not broken into smaller cruises and repositioning cruises attract an older crowd with far fewer children.

Stay away from Caribbean cruises, especially if they are only a week long, even during the school year.

Oceania is an adult-oriented cruise line with excellent food. Just stay away from their Caribbean cruises if you want to avoid children/teens.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:45 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Another thought although I haven't tried them on a cruise: Overseas Adventure Travel. I took them to India and Nepal earlier this year. The youngest person in the group was in his late 30s (there with his father). They keep the groups small (typically under 16). There was a lot of walking and a little hiking around in the foothills of the Himalayas (those who didn't want to hike stayed behind at a restaurant with an outdoor terrace and beautiful views).

They have a Galapagos tour/cruise that I hope to take in 2020; I love UnCruise but OAT doesn't charge a single supplement and that makes them a LOT cheaper than UnCruise for that trip.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Hints on few kids, the longer the cruise the less chance of kids. Take cruises when school is in session although that doesn't prevent the home schoolers. Stay away from Disney.

People in wheel chairs or scooters actually aren't that big of an issue as handicapped rooms are limited, at least on the numerous cruises I have been on. I don't think on any of our cruises we saw more than 2 or 3 scooters.

I have been on Royal Caribbean several times, Carnival and Norwegian. By far Royal Caribbean was my favorite. Carnival was the worst. Others might disagree but that was both me and my husband's plus my friends opinion. Personally, when you have days at sea I like the larger ships as there is more to keep you busy and surprisingly I found the larger ships didn't feel that crowded. Again, others may disagree.

Lastly, if you are having to fly in to the cruise, fly in a day or two before hand (the longer away make it two days at least) so that you don't run into any flying difficulties.
I hadn't considered the number of handicapped rooms. Great advice! Also flying in a couple of days ahead of departure is good idea. If we fly from FTL, we can visit friends in the area.

My daughters took me on a 4 day cruise on Carnival many years ago. Most of the other passengers were 30 years younger than me and even younger than my daughters!! It was noisy, for sure...

Last edited by staywarm2; 10-20-2018 at 11:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises