U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 03:51 PM

5,232 posts, read 3,007,646 times

Advertisements

We will NOT be zip lining at our ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 12:57 AM

676 posts, read 585,846 times
A cruise operator should not be held responsible for negligence on the part of the 3rd party tour operator beyond what they promise in their shore excursion terms. Itís the third party tour operator or possibly manufacturer of the zip line (if it was defective) that should civilly be held liable for the incident. The cruise line should only be held responsible if there is credible evidence they knew the third party tour operator was unsafe and had bad standards. I understand that the cruise line has much deeper pockets than some tour operator that can easily just go bancrupt. The cruise line should carry insurance for an instance like this or require the 3rd party operator to carry a high payout insurance and verify they have it, that would indemnify the cruiseline.

Very sad situation as zip lines are a big attraction in this part of the world.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:00 AM

2,067 posts, read 703,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I suspect a company as large at RCL is self-insured. Even back in 1996 they were advocating in front of the Federal Maritime Commission for self-insurance.
I worked in the property-casualty insurance industry and my guess would be that the bulk of any settlement would be paid directly by RCL. Most large commercial insureds have a "self-insured retention" in their liability policies, sometimes as large as $1 million, before the insurance company kicks in. It keeps the premiums lower and also assures that the insured will be careful about loss control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
Very sad situation as zip lines are a big attraction in this part of the world.
They're big in EVERY part of the world! One of the things DH and I noticed when we took our Alaskan cruises (between Sitka and Juneau) was the number of high-priced excursions available in the ports. There's not much money in people just hiking through the forests or visiting museums, so there were excursions for ziplining, fishing, sightseeing by helicopter, visiting a place where they bred and trained sled dogs, etc. Anything to separate the tourists from their money.

Stuff happens, though. My Dad didn't tell me till I was 30 that one time he and Mom went to the Caribbean when I was about 12, they went scuba diving with only rudimentary instructions beforehand. Mom was a strong swimmer but her equipment failed and no one noticed till everyone else came back on the boat- except Mom. She was unconscious and they had to use mouth-to-mouth breathing (no CPR then) to revive her. I had 4 younger siblings. I can't imagine what went through Dad's head as they were trying to revive her. You can see why I LOVE snorkeling but have never attempted scuba!

I agree with the earlier poster- RCL will settle quietly. You don't want this claim to go in front of a jury.

Last edited by athena53; 01-19-2019 at 08:09 AM..

Old 02-06-2019, 06:15 PM

9,137 posts, read 8,281,799 times
Do you know why you hear of so few lawsuits against airlines and cruise lines? Because it is almost impossible to sue them.

By paying the cruise or air fare, you sign all of your rights away.

Even that doctor that was drug off the plane wasn't able to sue. The airline just threw money at him to make him go away

Old 02-09-2019, 09:39 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,198,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Even that doctor that was drug off the plane wasn't able to sue. The airline just threw money at him to make him go away

I think for most who sue itís all about the money so throwing money at somebody works well for both. The person who sues gets paid and the company gets resolution quickly while mitigating bad publicity. Win, win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or