U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 07:53 PM

15,071 posts, read 19,013,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Took my family on a Disney Cruise few months ago and I made a list of first world problem things I need to bring next time (don't laugh):

1) Charmin toilet paper. Stock TP was rough!
2) Lysol (it's a small space )
3) 25' extension cord (no electrical outlets in bathrooms) - potentially subject to confiscation
4) 2 or 3 power strips - potentially subject to confiscation
5) Dish soap and sponge
1. You might plug up the ship septic system with that Charmin.
2. Might be a good idea.
3 and 4. Yeah, their going to be confiscated. Get one of these instead https://www.amazon.com/GE-Adapter-Gr...c+plug&sr=8-11. Also note that many ships are putting USB ports in cabins.

And there's a reason there are no electric plugs in the bathroom.

5. I'm not sure why you want this. But we do bring soap sheets and a few clothes pins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 08:22 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,216,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
5. I'm not sure why you want this. But we do bring soap sheets and a few clothes pins.
To clean our YETI cups, our 4 year old's water bottle, 20oz beer mugs etc. etc.

As for the power strips, we used this but it wasn't enough: https://www.belkin.com/th/p/P-BZ103050-TVL/

Old 04-03-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
To clean our YETI cups, our 4 year old's water bottle, 20oz beer mugs etc. etc.

As for the power strips, we used this but it wasn't enough: https://www.belkin.com/th/p/P-BZ103050-TVL/

I get the soap thing now.

As far as the power strips, etc. The are considered dangers on cruise ships. Expect to get them confiscated. Ask me how I know.

Maybe buy two of the Belkin things. Better yet, figure out how to rotate your electronics.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:48 PM

321 posts, read 107,508 times
I brought a box fan on the cruise ship. We like the white noise, helps us sleep. Got a couple funny looks and comments.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:33 PM

634 posts, read 404,078 times
I spend TONS of time on Cruise Critic. I DO want to know about the menus, what movies will be showing, locations of "secret decks," the best times to go to the Serenity deck, etc. I also read John Healds' Facebook page, and I respond to all the surveys. I hide ducks, I search for ducks, I do want to know when the balloons are going to drop, if AARP is going to start a new program to save 10% off the cruise and other onship expenses, and I watch Youtube Carnival videos so that I can practice the dances. So, I am one of those you wonder about. I can only answer for me.

We are a lower-income, disabled, and retired couple who LOVE to cruise. And, along with youngest disabled son, we do, on a regular basis. In November we will be going on a 2 week Journey cruise out of Orlando. How do we pay for it, and still live well[in my opinion] on our low income? Birthdays, anniversaries, Valentines Day, Christmas, we take the money we spend on each other towards our next cruise. We go out to eat at a restaurant [other then our vacation time] twice a year and we pay for those by using gift cards that we earned by doing online surveys. We cook everything from scratch [about 49% of our food we either get from our goats [milk] chickens [eggs] beehives[honey] and garden. And we take the money we save and spend it on grandkids [ussually at least one comes with us] making sure they are well spoiled [we get tons of stuff from doing the surveys] our animals, and going on cruises.[we have many money saving things we do, but these are a few]

We do greatly enjoy our lives in many ways apart from cruising, but moneywise, that is what most of our disposable income goes for. And there is no way that I would spend all of that money for just a week or 2 of fun. I want TONS of bang for my buck! And I get it!

How? By enjoying my cruise every single day for the entire year[or more] before my next cruise! I am retired now, so that does give me a few hours every day where I can pre-live my cruise in different ways, and one of those ways is by going on Cruise Critic, reading, and sometimes writing those "insignificant questions, and getting super excited about how many shrimp will come with my shrimp cocktail, which version of the 'Thriller Dance" our cruise director [Schwartz in November!] will teach, and approximately how many times I need to go arround the lanai deck on the Breeze to get my 20,000 steps, or whatever.

Adjusting for inflation, cruising costs way less than it did 20 years ago, and I think that the primary reason is because of all the newer "nickle and diming" they are accused of doing. I do not have a problem with the "elite" areas, because, as far as I am concerned, those people paying for the elite status are keeping my cruise fare inexpensive. I am grateful for that, and, being Autistic, I really could not give a care about status.

And the silly things I bring on board? Sound blocking headphones, my favorite stuffed animals [ I am 65 years old] crazy looking sunglasses that allow no sun coming in from arround the frame, about 50 "fidget spinners" [hey, these have been used my people of my neurology for over 20 years!] 27 notebooks [ all for different subjects I need to jot down notes about] and 6 different t-shirts and sweatshirts that say the same thing [ NONCOMPLIANCE IS A SOCIAL SKILL]

Anyway, these are some of my reasons WHY, And I imagine that every individual has their personal reason for their desire to be informed of such "trite" things.

And if any of you have any questions about cruising [or actually anything. I am Autistic after all] let me know and I will research it for you and let you know!

Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM

1,360 posts, read 547,271 times
Hot water kettle -- unlike hotel rooms, there is no supply of edible water (don't know if it is safe to drink from tap water on cruise ship).

Old Today, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Hot water kettle -- unlike hotel rooms, there is no supply of edible water (don't know if it is safe to drink from tap water on cruise ship).
It's called potable water and, yes the water that comes out of the tap is potable.

I admit that on older ships it doesn't taste very good.

And you can't bring your own kettle. Its considered a safety/fire hazard.

Some ships that depart from England do have kettles, but they are provided by the cruise line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or