Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 12:05 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Today's question from CC that backs up my point:

Seriously? At this moment, there are twelve replies. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topi...hip-currently/
Just read through that thread and I am LMAO, she the o/p sounds like a candidate for the cattle prod LOL. Such a first world major problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 09:32 AM

356 posts, read 175,929 times
Quote:
If I posted this on cruise critic, I would be stomped like a bug and probably banned. But the curiosity in me wants to discuss this.

I'm always amazed at some of the stuff people want to know about a cabin or NEED as a service. Is there a flower vase and what color is it? Which direction does the bed face? Can I get freshly squeezed lemon juice from room service at the same time every morning? How big is the table on the balcony - I want to make sure I have the right size tablecloth. If I don't like the brand of tonic water at the bar, will they get me another type at our first port stop? Is the lighting in the dining room warm or cool - I want to make sure my makeup looks right. cruise

And can anybody explain to me WHY people care who the captain is??? I've seen Celebrity Cruise passengers book a cruise specifically so they can sail with Captain Kate.

Don't even get me started on the I-Must-See-The-Daily-Dining-Menus or the bar menus for each bar venue. (this seems Especially important to those who are not sailing for a year.)

And what people bring with them is astonishing! A hammock for the balcony (and an assortment of equipment to hang it). Shelf cubes/organizers. Padded hangers. A flower vase. Pictures from home to decorate the cabin walls. Curtains for blacking out 100% of the light from the window (ever heard of an inside cabin?). Curtains for separating the interior of the cabin for privacy (if I need THAT much privacy, what an I doing sharing a cabin?). Cases and cases of bottled water or a must have specific brand/flavor of soft drink. Fifteen pairs of shoes for a 7 day cruise. Beach umbrellas so they don't have to rent one. A TV monitor ("I like the picture quality better."). Their own pillowcases.

/rant over. But am I wrong??????
This made my morning .

There are some "things" I would be fine not knowing about, lest I wonder about the minds of the people around me, LOL.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:11 PM

26 posts, read 23,540 times
I agree with the OP. I’ve read so many CC inquiries like this. They make me crazy. Someone must have Coke- Pepsi is unacceptable. How soft are the towels? Is there a washcloth provided? How many electric outlets are there? What kind of soap, shampoo, etc?

My only quirk - I bring my special pillow because I have a disc problem in my neck.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:18 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
A friend and I were just discussing this earlier today! Don't care who the Captain is, and anywhere the cruise director is, is no place I want to be.

I remember seeing a list a few years ago of what to bring, and the list was pages long! From that list I brought a hi-lighter, which is useful for marking any of the daily activities I might be interested in.

Even more entertaining is the people who cruise one line to accumulate loyalty points for perks and discounts, but somehow that translates into them being important and superior to others. All it means is you've spent a fortune on cruising so the cruise line "rewards" you by giving you things...which are designed to keep you spending more money! It's not an award for curing cancer, it's simply a bonus for being loyal.

And oh the horror of those people who eat in the MDR, the lowly steerage folks who aren't in suite class. Better not mingle with us, lest you catch something. On our first cruise, I had a woman ask what level we were and when I looked at her quizzically and said it was our first cruise, she turned and walked away.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:41 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
A friend and I were just discussing this earlier today! Don't care who the Captain is, and anywhere the cruise director is, is no place I want to be.

I remember seeing a list a few years ago of what to bring, and the list was pages long! From that list I brought a hi-lighter, which is useful for marking any of the daily activities I might be interested in.

Even more entertaining is the people who cruise one line to accumulate loyalty points for perks and discounts, but somehow that translates into them being important and superior to others. All it means is you've spent a fortune on cruising so the cruise line "rewards" you by giving you things...which are designed to keep you spending more money! It's not an award for curing cancer, it's simply a bonus for being loyal.

And oh the horror of those people who eat in the MDR, the lowly steerage folks who aren't in suite class. Better not mingle with us, lest you catch something. On our first cruise, I had a woman ask what level we were and when I looked at her quizzically and said it was our first cruise, she turned and walked away.

Are you reading my mind?

Looking at CC, I don't think ANYBODY sails in inside or ocean view cabins anymore. Suites, Royal Suites, Penthouses, private areas called "The Haven" or "the Yacht Club". I understand that it what some people want/need - but the class distinction that I've always associated with cruising in the fifties, or still on Cunard, is now a part of mass market cruise lines. And I don't like it.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Are you reading my mind?

Looking at CC, I don't think ANYBODY sails in inside or ocean view cabins anymore. Suites, Royal Suites, Penthouses, private areas called "The Haven" or "the Yacht Club". I understand that it what some people want/need - but the class distinction that I've always associated with cruising in the fifties, or still on Cunard, is now a part of mass market cruise lines. And I don't like it.
It seems to be the focus. Celebrity recently launched a new ship, the Edge, and they were advertising a luxurious suite for 6 at $35,000 per night. My thinking is that anyone who has that kind of money wouldn't be on a mass marketed cruise ship.

They really hype the suites and there's so much focus on separate restaurants and bars only for suite or Aqua class passengers. I had no idea such a thing existed on our first cruise, and now that I know, I don't care. We're there for the kind of vacation we want to have, not to impress or dismay others based on number of cruises we've taken.

The cruises we've been on were fantastic but there is also a lot of world to see that is nowhere near a cruise port. After this cruise, I have some road trip tours in mind over the next few years.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Are you reading my mind?

Two things:

1. Do you really think there is a "class " distinction on mass market lines like Carnival or Royal Caribbean?
2. Why waste your mental/emotional energy on such garbage? Get whatever cabin you want. We usually get balconies but that's our preference. That has nothing to do with anyone else. We spend a fair amount of time in the cabin and need natural light and fresh air.

FYI, ALL of the loyalty programs are BS and it's best to ignore folks bragging about being platinum or whatever.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Two things:

1. Do you really think there is a "class " distinction on mass market lines like Carnival or Royal Caribbean?
2. Why waste your mental/emotional energy on such garbage? Get whatever cabin you want. We usually get balconies but that's our preference. That has nothing to do with anyone else. We spend a fair amount of time in the cabin and need natural light and fresh air.

FYI, ALL of the loyalty programs are BS and it's best to ignore folks bragging about being platinum or whatever.
1. Sure, I do. Several mass market cruise lines have devoted significant areas of space that are exclusive to folks in those more expensive (aka upper class) cabins. Passengers booked in standard cabins are flat-out not allowed to enter and enjoy all that square footage. I know NCL, Celebrity and MSC have established those areas.

2. We don't "waste our energy on such garbage" and I assure you that we book the level of cabin we want. bUT we don't spend much time in our cabin, which means that not being allowed into enjoy the entire ship IS more annoying.

3. In regard to loyalty programs, I generally agree with you. There are SOME perks that add value, but not many. The folks that brag nearly always do it online and rarely on board. Except maybe in those areas that are off limits to us; I wouldn't know. I'm not allowed in.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:51 AM

Anyone else bringing their own footrest? https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topi...mment-56542832

Old 03-10-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Anyone else bringing their own footrest? https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topi...mment-56542832
Hilarious! But at least something inflatable doesn't take up much space in a suitcase. It's the people who want to take their own Keurig, and just the other day, a question about taking their Alexa. Seriously? To each their own, but it's a real head-scratcher why you would want to bring household appliances on a cruise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises