Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2019, 10:41 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,513,508 times

Advertisements

We've taken several cruises before, but the upcoming one next month will be the first time we have to fly to and from the port. To ensure we have plenty of time to reach the port on embarkation day (4pm sailing instead of the usual 6pm), and that we won't miss our return flight, I booked a one-night hotel stay at either end of the cruise. I should mention that we live in Eugene OR, and we don't have a whole lot of flights down to L.A. we can choose from.

When we get back to San Pedro, embarkation will start at 6am! What can we do from the time we get off the ship until we can check into our hotel, presumably many hours later?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 11:33 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times
A great idea to book the hotel the night before the cruise. Twenty years ago, we were flying from Phoenix to LA. Some kid slammed through security and Phoenix shut down the entire terminal. Luckily, there were hundreds of cruise passengers stuck in that terninal, so they held the ship for a later departure. Now we ALWAYS fly in a day early - or more and do some sightseeing.

That said, we don't do the hotel at the end of the cruise. We book an airline departure time that is reasonable. That may create a bit of time hanging around the airpirt, but costs a lot less than that (unnecessary) hotel room. And at that point, we want to get home to our dog.

The usual schedule requires that you and your belongings be out of the cabin by 8am. Off the ship by roughly 10am.

Before you leave on your cruise, EMAIL the hotel and ask for early checkin. Why email? I want it in writing. (Learn from my past mistakes.)

Can't check in early?. Go to the hotel, drop off your bags, then take an Uber or the hotel shuttle someplace . Do something that interests you so it's not a total waste of a day. Maybe take a bus tour. Go to a museum.
See a movie. Sit in a bar or Starbucks. Have lunch. LA has PLENTY of choices!!!

Uber / Lyft is a godsend in these situations.

Enjoy your cruise.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:13 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
where is your hotel? Santa Monica/Venice Beach are fun.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:30 AM

6,625 posts, read 7,336,606 times
You might be able to call the hotel and see if they will let you come in early. If they say no I would still show up early and see if you can get the room. If they have a cleaned room they will probably let you in.

I would also schedule getting off the ship as late as possible and have a leisurely breakfast.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
You might be able to call the hotel and see if they will let you come in early. If they say no I would still show up early and see if you can get the room. If they have a cleaned room they will probably let you in.

I would also schedule getting off the ship as late as possible and have a leisurely breakfast.
This. Also, even if the hotel won't give you a room early, they will allow you to store your luggage. You can then go out sightseeing for a few hours. Enjoy LA!

Old 03-27-2019, 08:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Either try to check in early or just take the luggage to the hotel for safe keeping and do some sight seeing. There are all kinds of tours offered in the area and some are short enough have plenty of time to get back to your hotel for a nice quiet dinner and some sleep. Have a great time.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:32 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
We get into Ft. Lauderdale at 5:00 a.m. for our 4 p.m. cruise. I had debated getting there a day early, but it seemed like a waste of time and money. We did get insurance, just in case. We can board at 11:00, though.

It's great hotels will take your luggage early. Frees up the day for exploration. We've had to take advantage of that numerous times.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:55 AM

68 posts, read 187,638 times
If you have time check your bags into the hotel and take uber to the Aquarium of the Pacific (takes 3-4 hrs and is well worth it) also nearby is the Queen Mary and there are tours for it. Has a ton of history. Both are in Long Beach.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:56 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
We get into Ft. Lauderdale at 5:00 a.m. for our 4 p.m. cruise. I had debated getting there a day early, but it seemed like a waste of time and money. We did get insurance, just in case. We can board at 11:00, though.

It's great hotels will take your luggage early. Frees up the day for exploration. We've had to take advantage of that numerous times.
Contact Crown Plaza at the airport. They have a restaurant that does breakfast. Ask if they would allow you to take the shuttle from the airport to the hotel for breakfast then take a cab or uber from there to the port when done. This will take up some time for you so you don't have to sit at the port.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises