U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 02:28 PM

71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Boarding always takes hours, usually half a day. I can't remember Port of Miami's layout but usually for cruises there is a huge inside waiting area (like an airport almost) and they have a certain order in calling for people to board so the long line like is shown is kind of strange. Sit, relax, put your feet up, wait for your section to be called.

Why didn't they just go and sit somewhere? It's not like it's first come/first served - you have a cabin reserved. This is like the gate lice you see at airports waiting in line uselessly to board a plane and clogging up the entrance when your section hasn't been called yet.
don't have a clue why it would take you 1/2 day. For us, we get to the port about 10:30ish, regardless of the port and are on the ship by noon at the latest. There may have been one or two times when it took a little longer because all exiting passengers were not off the ship. usually this has to do with the ship being cleared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 07:20 AM

12,257 posts, read 18,390,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
WTH are you talking about? We don't have priority boarding on ANY cruise line and book the cheap cabins. In 25+ cruises we've waited 1.5 hours maybe twice, 30 minutes or less most of the time, and immediate walk on (No waiting) several times (including Ft Lauderdale and Miami terminals.)

I wish the lines at the airport were so short.
You and the other guy misunderstood (trying to put it in a more diplomatic way then your response), you don't HAVE to wait. You simply arrive at boarding time. But indeed they board in sections and obviously they don't board 3,000 people at one time, the boarding process is spread over hours.

Anyways I am checking my own facts:
https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1710

This is "the hell" what I am talking about:
"Your cruise line will send you information about when to arrive at the port, giving a several-hour window, typically from late morning to mid-afternoon. You can show up at any time during that window. ...Then you'll enter a large open space with roped-off lines and check-in stations. Cruise line staff will be on hand to direct you to the correct line; suite passengers and high-status past-passengers will typically go into a shorter line or separate waiting area, while regular passengers join a main line....Once you have checked in and have your cruise card, you will either follow signs and staff members to board your ship right away, or you'll be directed to a waiting area with instructions on when to board."

The above pretty much represents my experiences. If you disagree with the above, feel free to contact cruisecritic.

Last edited by Dd714; 04-30-2019 at 07:32 AM..

Old 04-30-2019, 11:30 AM

3,412 posts, read 3,218,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You and the other guy misunderstood (trying to put it in a more diplomatic way then your response), you don't HAVE to wait. You simply arrive at boarding time. But indeed they board in sections and obviously they don't board 3,000 people at one time, the boarding process is spread over hours.

Anyways I am checking my own facts:
https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1710

This is "the hell" what I am talking about:
"Your cruise line will send you information about when to arrive at the port, giving a several-hour window, typically from late morning to mid-afternoon. You can show up at any time during that window. ...Then you'll enter a large open space with roped-off lines and check-in stations. Cruise line staff will be on hand to direct you to the correct line; suite passengers and high-status past-passengers will typically go into a shorter line or separate waiting area, while regular passengers join a main line....Once you have checked in and have your cruise card, you will either follow signs and staff members to board your ship right away, or you'll be directed to a waiting area with instructions on when to board."

The above pretty much represents my experiences. If you disagree with the above, feel free to contact cruisecritic.
We cruised on Carnival last July. We picked our embarkation time (it's something you can do now at least on Carnival) and arrived at that time and got straight onto the ship.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
We cruised on Carnival last July. We picked our embarkation time (it's something you can do now at least on Carnival) and arrived at that time and got straight onto the ship.
There you go, that's the way it should work.

Some may not have that option perhaps if traveling on some group travel arrangement (hotel shuttle) or flying in and arriving from the airport. This happened to me in Amsterdam, overnight flight, arrival very early in morning, straight to port.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:18 PM

10,171 posts, read 7,071,744 times
We went on the Carnival Magic once. It was 3-4 hours delayed coming in, which was weather related. But the port workers and the cruise ship workers seemed so confused, overwhelmed and out of their depth. It was the worst embarkation ever. By the time we got on, everything was closed for the muster drill. We were STARVING and tired. It sucked.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:43 PM

889 posts, read 325,888 times
It took us hours to board an Alaskan cruise in Vancouver. What was frustrating was that most of the time was waiting in the foreigners line to go through American customs. Because when we had arrived in Honolulu a few days earlier we were able to use the self serve devices and it was very quick, be we foreigners or not. But for the cruise we had to queue to see a person and only the Americans could use the self service devices.

So it did literally take hours. We would be pretty selective about doing any more cruises. We have been on about four longer ones and a few overnights and shorter stays on river boats etc. Prefer the smaller boats but not for too long.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
NCL is doing the same: I am not saying it always goes smoothly but picking the time does help a lot. It helps the cruise line and the passengers.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
It took us hours to board an Alaskan cruise in Vancouver. What was frustrating was that most of the time was waiting in the foreigners line to go through American customs. Because when we had arrived in Honolulu a few days earlier we were able to use the self serve devices and it was very quick, be we foreigners or not. But for the cruise we had to queue to see a person and only the Americans could use the self service devices.

So it did literally take hours. We would be pretty selective about doing any more cruises. We have been on about four longer ones and a few overnights and shorter stays on river boats etc. Prefer the smaller boats but not for too long.
In your case I can understand the time problem. Of course this isn't the fault of the cruise line but custom regulations and thank goodness we do have them. I think there are exceptions to every rule, but I still say, on the average there is no way it takes a 1/2 day to get from the port onto the ship.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
In your case I can understand the time problem. Of course this isn't the fault of the cruise line but custom regulations and thank goodness we do have them. I think there are exceptions to every rule, but I still say, on the average there is no way it takes a 1/2 day to get from the port onto the ship.
See thread #12.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:44 PM

22,654 posts, read 28,660,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
........Planes, I will board in the last section call and be last in line, regardless of my original seating section call. I have a guaranteed seat and will take a bump if overbooked.

I used to wait and be the last to board an airplane. The seats in the lobby were much more comfortable and the plane wasn't going to leave without me.

However, so many people are now carrying their entire vacation with them as carry-ons, if you are in the last half of the passengers to board, there will be no space in the overhead bins.

My last few flights, the passengers (first to board) headed to the back of the plane were stowing their carry-ons in the bins in the front area of the seating. So when the people at the front got on, there was no more overhead bin space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or