Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2019, 11:31 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,505,741 times

Advertisements

We are lifelong PNW residents, 69/72. Question Those who live in the PNW, did you find the Alaskan cruise enjoyable ??
Wife wants to take friends on a cruise in appreciation for their help. We can afford the gift.

Currently live eastside Seattle and getting to Seattle and the waterfront is easy for us. Great fun to watch the cruisers now that season has started. We have taken the Norwegian Hawaiian Island cruise, a China river-land cruise, and a repositioning cruise from LA to Vancouver. We found the food repetitive, not enough time in port, and confining. We don't drink or gamble or shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 01:00 PM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
From your last sentence I would say a cruise is a cruise and you would not enjoy it. Other than that I think Alaska is a good place to cruise. Maybe look at Holland America and the sea and land tours. Most of your time will be on the ground and not on a ship.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:40 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
"We found the food repetitive, not enough time in port, and confining."

Based on that sentence, I'm thinking no cruise is going to be something you enjoy.

We've done many and enjoyed Alaska. FOR THE SCENERY. The ports were commercial and rather boring. Excursions were horribly expensive.

But if you're buying a gift for someone to say thank you, why not find out what THEY would enjoy?

Old 04-22-2019, 06:21 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,505,741 times
that's a Good Reason. Thx

Old 04-23-2019, 08:32 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
I'll bring up this cruise line again even though it may be out of your budget: UnCruise. Late DH and I took them twice between Juneau and Ketchikan. Ships under 100 passengers, all excursions included (a small charge for use of their equipment if you wanted to go snorkeling, which I did- takes a LOT of wet suit given the water temps). Very focused on nature- the only ticky-tacky we saw was in the Juneau and Ketchikan. Food very high quality. locally-sourced when possible, emphasis on quality over quantity. Very laid-back, no outside locks on the stateroom doors, no fancy dress nights, leave your ego and your bling at home. (It's a smart, curious, well-traveled group, many with advanced degrees or retired from high-power jobs, so you're not going to impress too many fellow passengers.) I'm taking my 5th cruise with them in Hawaii in October.

I have no financial interest in giving them publicity; it's just that the smaller lines are less visible but are far more appealing to a small segment of cruise travelers.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:20 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
or... PNW AK cruise style... drive to Bellingham, bring a tent and cooler... or get a cabin.
https://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

Got the dough and want an Expensive and nice alternative to the gambling / gaming / shows / eating cruise... ...

Take a 'purposed' AK cruise... From https://www.nationalgeographic.com/e...merica/alaska/
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours.../#.XL8-0OhKjIU
https://www.seattletimes.com/life/tr...cruise-alaska/
to... Cruise / Conferences...
https://www.inspirationcruises.com/alaska
http://insight.org/events/alaska/itinerary

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-23-2019 at 10:38 AM..

Old 04-23-2019, 12:18 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
Thanks for those links! I travel solo and am always looking for other small-ship lines, since the Single Supplement can be substantial and I don't know anyone else who (a) has a similar crazy travel budget and (b) with whom I'd be willing to share a stateroom.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:34 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'll bring up this cruise line again even though it may be out of your budget: UnCruise. Late DH and I took them twice between Juneau and Ketchikan. Ships under 100 passengers, all excursions included (a small charge for use of their equipment if you wanted to go snorkeling, which I did- takes a LOT of wet suit given the water temps). Very focused on nature- the only ticky-tacky we saw was in the Juneau and Ketchikan. Food very high quality. locally-sourced when possible, emphasis on quality over quantity. Very laid-back, no outside locks on the stateroom doors, no fancy dress nights, leave your ego and your bling at home. (It's a smart, curious, well-traveled group, many with advanced degrees or retired from high-power jobs, so you're not going to impress too many fellow passengers.) I'm taking my 5th cruise with them in Hawaii in October.

I have no financial interest in giving them publicity; it's just that the smaller lines are less visible but are far more appealing to a small segment of cruise travelers.
Uncruise looks like they offer a spectacular Alaska adventure. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
We are lifelong PNW residents, 69/72. Question Those who live in the PNW, did you find the Alaskan cruise enjoyable ??
Wife wants to take friends on a cruise in appreciation for their help. We can afford the gift.

Currently live eastside Seattle and getting to Seattle and the waterfront is easy for us. Great fun to watch the cruisers now that season has started. We have taken the Norwegian Hawaiian Island cruise, a China river-land cruise, and a repositioning cruise from LA to Vancouver. We found the food repetitive, not enough time in port, and confining. We don't drink or gamble or shop.
the smaller river cruise and luxury lines might be better for you. Of course there is nothing like the Alaskan scenery and ports but from what you are saying why would you want to cruise to anyplace? You want to spend longer in ports, you are not excited about the food, you don't drink or gamble, and all these or certainly part of them are what cruising is all about. Find some other way to treat your friends If nothing else how about a Caribbean AI?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises