U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 04:38 PM

3,412 posts, read 3,219,674 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to these ports recently? I read about extreme zip lining and am interested in it in St.Thomas and Puerto Rico not really sure. We're only in Port for 6 hours. Thinking of the fort tours. Not really interested in the beach activities more interested in exploring the islands.

We will have our two kids with us and they will be 11 and almost 13 when we sail. It's a December cruise over NYE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 08:19 PM

215 posts, read 70,183 times
My suggestions: In Puerto Rico, check out the forts.
In St. Thomas, go to Meghan's Beach, or catch a ferry over to St. John's and snorkel at Trunk's Bay.
Have fun planning, and enjoy your vacay! It will be here before you know it...

Old 05-07-2019, 08:30 AM

15,065 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Forts in Puerto rico.

Disclosure: St Thomas is one of our least favorite Caribbean ports. Except for the beaches, it's a mass of tourist based, overpriced commercial enterprises. Unless you want a beach day, you might consider staying on the ship. It's will be nearly empty, quiet and very pleasant. No crowding, no chair hogs, lots of room for the kids to use the pools. There will be done cruise sponsored activities.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:44 AM

3,412 posts, read 3,219,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Forts in Puerto rico.

Disclosure: St Thomas is one of our least favorite Caribbean ports. Except for the beaches, it's a mass of tourist based, overpriced commercial enterprises. Unless you want a beach day, you might consider staying on the ship. It's will be nearly empty, quiet and very pleasant. No crowding, no chair hogs, lots of room for the kids to use the pools. There will be done cruise sponsored activities.
We will be staying on the ship when we port in the Bahamas (been there done that to many times and in Labadee). So we plan to get off in St.Thomas and Puerto Rico. It's on the Oasis of the Seas. It wouldn't be worth it to stay on at an additional port so I'm thinking something fun for the kids to experience. They aren't beach kids but like adventure and history. We didn't pick the itinerary so making the best of it.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:38 AM

15,065 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
We will be staying on the ship when we port in the Bahamas (been there done that to many times and in Labadee). So we plan to get off in St.Thomas and Puerto Rico. It's on the Oasis of the Seas. It wouldn't be worth it to stay on at an additional port so I'm thinking something fun for the kids to experience. They aren't beach kids but like adventure and history. We didn't pick the itinerary so making the best of it.

That explains it better - and I TOTALLY agree with you about staying on the ship in the Bahamas. Yuck. And staying on board twice isn't ideal.

So - I thought about it a little more. How about swimming with stingrays? That remains one of our BEST excursions ever (but was in another port). I don't know if they have that in St. Thomas, but I'm pretty sure the do in St. John. Or kayaking? Snorkeling? I'm nearly positive that you can swim with turtles in St Thomas.

You should be able to find small group tours for these online. Or a large group tour from a ship excursion (which I avoid if at all possible).

Enjoy - It sounds like you're doing everything to make this a great trip for EVERYBODY.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:49 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,172,123 times
If you have tried some of the higher rated beaches in the Caribbean and still don’t like them, then don’t read any further. If you haven’t been to Magens Bay, you might want to try it(St Thomas). You may well be surprised that your kids will start liking the beach scene.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:06 PM

994 posts, read 345,731 times
St Thomas - I haven't been there in a few years, but we always go to Coki Beach when we are in St Thomas. Excellent snorkeling. Coral World Marine Park is there. You can take a taxi from port.

San Juan - I would recommend meandering downtown and visiting the forts.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:40 PM

4,358 posts, read 3,692,049 times
Rain forest

Old 05-13-2019, 10:37 AM

71,925 posts, read 83,566,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Has anyone been to these ports recently? I read about extreme zip lining and am interested in it in St.Thomas and Puerto Rico not really sure. We're only in Port for 6 hours. Thinking of the fort tours. Not really interested in the beach activities more interested in exploring the islands.

We will have our two kids with us and they will be 11 and almost 13 when we sail. It's a December cruise over NYE.
Puerto Rico, i would say Bacardi factory but not with the kids plus it has gotten pricey in the past few years. No more free tours or free tasting as in years past. We were just there a few months ago. I would suggest the Rain Forest. As for St Thomas, there are several choices: the Coral World would be fun for the family as well as Megan's bay. You have plenty of time, so why not just google excursions or tours in those 2 places and get some ideas. You say not interested so much in the beachy thing, just wanted to explore the island. Well Puerto Rico is a huge island. St Thomas much smaller. The suggestion of taking a ferry to St John's is a good one. Like JK St Thomas, as well as the Bahama's are toward the bottom of our fun islands. St Thomas used to be great, no more. We never get off the ship in either place anymore.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:12 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,172,123 times
In St Thomas, you can take the gondola to the point right next to where the ship docks. Nice views from up there. If the weather is bad just stay on the ship, if you’ve been there before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises