U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2019, 03:06 PM

60 posts, read 22,377 times

Advertisements

Hello,

For 10-14 day cruises on the main cruise lines, did you find that you made great friends with people on a longer cruise? I've always imagined so but it would be nice to get some real world experiences.

Are they usually a mixture of age groups or are they mostly made up of seniors?

Did you find the duration to be too long? Did you pack enough clothes or find yourself doing laundry?

Thanks,
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 07:39 PM

498 posts, read 364,744 times
We really enjoy longer cruises for exactly this reason, great new friendships. Sometimes We've even remained in contact after the cruise and once we did a repeat cruise with people we'd met on a previous one.

Longer cruises tend to run on the older side, but age often is related more to the location and time of year. Alaska, Nordic, Canadian and South American cruises average about 65 years, while Caribbean average closer to 50. Cruises in summer, Christmas or March tend to have more families and a younger average age. Even on older-aged cruises, we've always found family reunion groups, homeschoolers, newlyweds and college students on random breaks as well. Holland America tends to have older passengers while Royal and Norwegian often sway younger.

No such thing as a too long cruise! We don't like to carry a lot of luggage so never pack for more than about 6 days and do laundry on the ship. Some people are fine with giant suitcases, it's a personal preference.

Is there a specific cruise you're looking for? Enjoy!

Old 05-17-2019, 05:35 AM

15,070 posts, read 19,008,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeScale View Post
I agree with Linerin, that age groups often is related more to the location of cruises. Last year we did a 14 days cruise to Norway. I was surprised to meet there a lot of family with small children, students, and young people. Also, we found there a vegan group. And yes, long cruise great for making new friends. We still keep in touch with the couple we usually had dinner with. About luggage, don't pack too many things. Better think carefully what exactly you're going to wear, can say that most of the things you going to take will stay in your bag. And of course, at any cruise line, there's laundry you can use.
Or a sink and laundry line. Makes me crazy to pay $50 for a bag of badly washed and folded clothes.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:59 AM

6,309 posts, read 3,574,248 times
I enjoyed a week cruise okay but my favorite parts were the stops and the fabulous meals.

If you like ships and being on the ocean a lot you may enjoy it more. But I had little interest in the ship itself and didn't do much nightlife. I was with a group of online friends and the fun for me was meeting them. Our cruise was centered around a radio program site we all listened to and posted on with live entertainment.

If you are a very social person and plan to spend most of the time out of your room you will do fine with an inexpensive one. But I would never go again without paying for a room with an outdoors balcony. It was very dark and claustrophobic down in the dungeon.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:30 AM

112 posts, read 20,543 times
Default i remember this

all cruises seem so rushed, dont remember much of islands, i do remember Bermuda well, and specially this beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGTX8XRzjFY

Old 05-18-2019, 10:27 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
This is just my opinion and see several different views here:

Normally the longer the cruise the fewer family and kids you are going to see OK, someone said they did Norway last year and there were a lot of families, this isn't the norm

Making friends: yes, you are more inclined to make friends, sometimes lasting ones on longer cruises. The best way to make friends is to sign up for a Meet and Greet activity before you even cruise.

Too long: we have never done a 14 day, but have done 10 and 12 many times: We enjoy the longer cruises but would never want more than 14 days. We just did a 10 day plus 2 days in San Juan first.

Laundry and packing: this is the biggest problem for most of us: We are lucky because on our line of choice we are frequent cruisers and get a bag free so not much of a problem. We also through the years have learned to pack light and wear at lot of mix and match outfits. We also love the not so formal cruise lines so we don't have to worry about fancy night time wear. For me, the most dressed up I get is a sun dress or nice capris with a slightly dressy top. For hubby it is nice khaki pants and colored sport shirt.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:24 PM

8,764 posts, read 10,840,630 times
We've taken a couple of 30-day Mediterranean cruises, along with several 2-week cruises. Toward the end, the cruises and land-based 'tourist' excursions all seem to get a little redundant -- After about a dozen, I'm 'cruised-out' and ready for a few more river cruises or land trips.

We've also taken the family, including grandkids, on shorter cruises, but, would not want to do that with longer cruises

Old 05-19-2019, 10:17 AM

632 posts, read 403,673 times
I love the longer cruises. Yes, long-time friendships are more likely to happenon a longer cruise. Yes, there are more seniors on them. We bring our youngest son and several of our late teens, early twenties grandchildren with us, and they love that the nightlife is not as crowded, no lines for slides and ropes courses and such, but still plenty of young people for them to get to know. I don't thinkI will ever go on a 7 day cruise again.it takes a few days toget settled in and by that time your vacation is half over. Longer cruises,in my opinion, are so much better.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:41 PM

6,410 posts, read 4,176,382 times
We went on our first 14 day cruise last November. We are going again this November on a different itinerary, with a couple that we met at our MDR table last year, on the same ship, the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore. We’ve cruised on the Pride four times now, plus the one coming in November.

The 7day cruises out of Baltimore have little variance in the ports it visits. We like the ship, because of its size/passenger ratio, plus when you are familiar with a ship it means you immediately go into relax mode when you board, because you aren’t spending the first few days learning your way around. The 14 day cruises are so much better, because when day seven comes around you get a special feeling when you know there are still seven more to come. Plus, you get to go to ports that are so much better than the same ports we’ve already been to many times in the past.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:49 AM

5,188 posts, read 13,355,486 times
I'm ready to go home by day 8...I get tired of the food and all the "relaxation". I like to be doing things, and most longer cruises have tons of "sea days"....I think a week is just about right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises