U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 04:16 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,093,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
OK. Now I can speak :-) LOL
I've only been to the Caribbean - Western and Eastern a few times (I'm in Miami so that's easy). As much as I liked Royal Caribbean, I went to Carnival after that. No comparison but, as far as the food went, Carnival's was better.
Besides my 180 days cruise around the world, LOL, I'd like to go to Alaska on Norwegian because I think they are a little more comfortable and because of their unstructured meals policy. You're not stuck to a specific dinner sitting and have to go to the buffet if you miss that (which is really very good too).
You can see my comments on the freestyle dining above, but I really liked it! The restaurants were all very good, and it was nice to have a change of pace. Only bad part was that you have to make reservations, so if you miss the boat on that (no pun intended ), you end up in the main dining room or buffet. I took their boat to Hawaii, but I assume it's the same for Alaska!

Quote:
Alaska is very far for me but when I do go, I need extra time to visit Seattle and Vancouver and, is it Victoria Island???
My trip to Alaska was amazing... maybe I'll post some pictures from that trip, since I'm photo-happy. Oh, and it's actually just called "Victoria" rather than Victoria Island. I've been to Seattle & Vancouver (love them both), but have always wanted to visit Victoria... it's supposed to be beautiful!

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-20-2006 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 04:40 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,082,378 times
I've never been on a cruise and all I keep seeing are these huge ships with passengers coming into port shooting diarrhea after catching some nasty stomach virus.
I burn in ten minutes in bright sunlight, so going for the sun isn't on my agenda. The only reason I'd really like to go on a cruise perhaps is if the food is abundant with no restrictions on when I could hit the buffet or load up. I love buffets and good food 24/7. I traveled all through the Caribbean when I lived in Cuba,...Haiti, the Dominican Republic (where I got food poisoning in Puerto Plata), Puerto Rico where I met my parents and then we traveled the island together for a few days, Jamaica - five days partying and having fun in Montego Bay, then I met a group of Jamaicans who took me and some friends into the interior jungle to a sugar plant with the open air vats, molasses vats, etc. Fascination. I chewed on sugar cane a lot. But I like food more. I'd be so happy just to be on a ship that had one purpose only...feeding me culinary yummers at all hours with spectacular desserts.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:55 PM

219 posts, read 678,158 times
If you find that ship - let me know!!!

Old 12-21-2006, 05:55 AM

405 posts, read 1,148,501 times
Victoria - First picture is the Parliment Building (I think)
Second picture is the famous Hotel, whose name escapes me, where you can site for 'High Tea' at 4:00 (for $50 per person)

Last edited by HappyandMarried; 01-11-2007 at 06:20 AM..

Old 12-21-2006, 06:14 AM

889 posts, read 2,852,814 times
Just went on a 12 day Mederteranian cruise on Carnival's newest ship the Liberty. Awsome cruise.Ports where Naples,Croatia,Spain,Venice,Tuscany,Sicily and the French Riviera.This was a nice way to see so many different places and possibly in the future for us explore more of the French Riviera. That was gorgeous.
The ship itself has a terrible layout but its new and clean!The staff could not have been any nicer and food was actually good.The price for 12 days with a balcony was way cheaper than anything else i could find for where i wanted to go. Carnival is actually pretty good.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:11 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,847,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I've never been on a cruise and all I keep seeing are these huge ships with passengers coming into port shooting diarrhea after catching some nasty stomach virus.
I burn in ten minutes in bright sunlight, so going for the sun isn't on my agenda. The only reason I'd really like to go on a cruise perhaps is if the food is abundant with no restrictions on when I could hit the buffet or load up. I love buffets and good food 24/7. I traveled all through the Caribbean when I lived in Cuba,...Haiti, the Dominican Republic (where I got food poisoning in Puerto Plata), Puerto Rico where I met my parents and then we traveled the island together for a few days, Jamaica - five days partying and having fun in Montego Bay, then I met a group of Jamaicans who took me and some friends into the interior jungle to a sugar plant with the open air vats, molasses vats, etc. Fascination. I chewed on sugar cane a lot. But I like food more. I'd be so happy just to be on a ship that had one purpose only...feeding me culinary yummers at all hours with spectacular desserts.
You don't have to be in the sun if you don't want to. I got sun poisoning in the Florida Keys about 25 years ago so now I can really be in the sun only early, early am or late pm. But... you take two ASPIRINS before you go in the sun, which blocks prostaglandin production, and you don't burn. Voila.

When were you in Cuba??? Where???
I liked Puerto Plata better than Punta Cana. I love P.R. and their food. Jamaica.....not that much.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post
Victoria - First picture is the Parliment Building (I think)
Second picture is the famous Hotel, whose name escapes me, where you can site for 'High Tea' at 4:00 (for $50 per person)

THAT IS NICE!!!
There are just so so many places on this planet that I would like to at least "visit". How can you choose???? I wish I had the time and money to just travel!

Old 12-21-2006, 09:03 AM

3,339 posts, read 12,663,585 times
I've been on a number of cruises (Royal Caribbean only) and have never been disappointed with the accommidations, food or entertainment on the ship. Some of the ports we've been too leave a bit to be desired, but all in all we've had a great time on them.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:12 AM

2,814 posts, read 12,082,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
You don't have to be in the sun if you don't want to. I got sun poisoning in the Florida Keys about 25 years ago so now I can really be in the sun only early, early am or late pm. But... you take two ASPIRINS before you go in the sun, which blocks prostaglandin production, and you don't burn. Voila.

When were you in Cuba??? Where???
I liked Puerto Plata better than Punta Cana. I love P.R. and their food. Jamaica.....not that much.
Wow...two aspirins will protect from burning? I'm a redhead with blue eyes and I've had skin cancer issues for 13 years and I never knew or heard that aspirin could protect me from burning. Does it protect from the damage that causes skin cancer too?
As for Cuba, I was stationed at Guantanamo for two years. That's where I got most of the sun that I'm sure started my lovely adventure with basel cell carcinoma!

Old 12-21-2006, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Wow...two aspirins will protect from burning? I'm a redhead with blue eyes and I've had skin cancer issues for 13 years and I never knew or heard that aspirin could protect me from burning. Does it protect from the damage that causes skin cancer too?
As for Cuba, I was stationed at Guantanamo for two years. That's where I got most of the sun that I'm sure started my lovely adventure with basel cell carcinoma!
See!! I had never heard of soap to brush your teeth!
UV rays protection??? ummmm.... use sunscreen for that and btw...anything above 15 is a waste. HOWEVER, there are now sunscreens that have this other ingredient in them, forget what it's called now, but which makes the ss better for skin CA protection.

P.S. OHH... I thought you were in the real Cuba and had visited some of the awesome beaches there, where only tourists are allowed.

Last edited by vpcats; 12-21-2006 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: PS added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or