U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 07:35 AM

29,038 posts, read 45,076,715 times

Advertisements

And here are two pictures from our Mediterranean trip... first one is a street scene in Sorrento, second is of an active volcano off the coast of Sicily (Stromboli, I think?).
Attached Thumbnails
Best and Worst Cruise Experience-travel-scenery-062.jpg   Best and Worst Cruise Experience-travel-scenery-064.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 09:58 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,844,598 times
Those Alaska pics are great. I seriously doubt I will get in a helicopter. The only way would be if I am unconscious and being airlifted. I have enough problems with regular smaller sized planes. So I'll have to find another way. A donkey???? LOLL

One of my co-workers (yeah, I do work sometimes) took one of those cruises to Turkey and Greece and then she did some stuff on her own, Switzerland, etc. and then got back on the ship somewhere. She's got tons of pics and they are all just amazingly beautiful places. So different but overwhelmingly great in their own right.

And as far as wasting food on cruises, or even in the all-inclusive resorts, Yep, I agree. There is so much waste. I feel like lecturing people sometimes when I see what they pack up and then leave on the plate. You'd think they starve all year, save their pennies for the cruise, and then make up for it. If they would only eat it all I wouldn't complain as much.
I try not to waste any time in any of these places. Sleep as little as possible, party, gamble, sightsee, a little shopping, shows, games. Sometimes I haven't even taken a bathing suit. I don't have time for that! :-))

Old 12-22-2006, 10:03 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,844,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobizzy3 View Post
I have been to Mexico,, two times,, to Alaska, once, the Caribbean once, the Baltic states, Dennmark, Sweden, Norway, Russia, Germany, Estonia, Poland, and the Mediterrean, Barcelona, France, Italy, Greece, Turkey. All these visits were on Princess cruise. With the exception of the Caribbean.

All have been on Princess,, no complaints. One cruise on Royal Caribbean, it was bad. Bad service, bad food,, it was just a bad experience. I think cruising is like anything else in life. You get what you pay for,, the more you pay the better the food and the service.

The absolute best cruise was the Mediterrean. All the ports were fantastic,, the excursions were educational, fun, exciting, and well coordinated.

Alaska is overated (don't get me wrong)but it was a great trip,, I think I just heard to much about how great it was before we went. It was good, just over hyped. The extra days in Vancover to see Canada and the surrounding sites is a VERY good idea. So is driving from Cal to Canada. Great drive. We saw more whales and wild life in Mexico than Alaska,,, but the views from the ship on the inside passage are incredible,,,,,,

Best surprises,, Turkey,,, I was in awe of this country and it's history,, usually overshadowed by Greece,,, Russia was an eye opener. This was the only country where I got sick from eating something in St Petersburg,,,but it was worth it,,,,,

If I had just one city or country to go to again it would be Spain and Barcelona,,, fantastic,, great people, food, sites, all the culture of Paris, with friendlier people,,, better food,, better beaches,,it is worth a trip as a destination,,,I will return to Spain,,,

Some people but to much emphasis on the ship and food,, it is really about the destinations,, most of the ship offer the same amenities,, but the more you pay the better they are,,,,

I would be glad to answer any questions,,, on any of these ports of call,,

By far,,not even close,,,,,,,,, if you have one cruise in your future do the Mediterrean,,,

My next cruise will be in Far East,, I have lived in Thailand so I am familar with of the East but want to visit Japan, Korea, China, and New Zealand,,,

Anyone with info on these areas please share,, Thank YOu,,,
I would be proud and honored to carry your bags!!!

Old 12-22-2006, 10:07 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,944,605 times
We did a Royal Caribbean cruise through the Bahamas (father in law paid) once and it was nice for a family trip, but not really my cup of tea.

Best was a catamaran trip through the British Virgin Islands. The boat slept 6 and it was very comfortable and a beautiful place.

Ferrying through the Greek Islands was nice, as was the Dalmatian coast off Croatia.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:12 AM

889 posts, read 2,852,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And here are two pictures from our Mediterranean trip... first one is a street scene in Sorrento, second is of an active volcano off the coast of Sicily (Stromboli, I think?).
I have to laugh about Stomboli. We were going by it and the cruise director plays it up as if it never is active! Everybody ( including us) hanging out our balcony just ooing and ahhing like were so lucky to have seen such a thing. Great pic, we also have it but its on the video camera and actually came out quite good.
Your from the Bay area- i used to live a couple of hours from there not to long ago

Old 12-22-2006, 11:37 AM

29,038 posts, read 45,076,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
I have to laugh about Stomboli. We were going by it and the cruise director plays it up as if it never is active! Everybody ( including us) hanging out our balcony just ooing and ahhing like were so lucky to have seen such a thing. Great pic, we also have it but its on the video camera and actually came out quite good.
LOL... yeah, they got all excited for us too. The captain even sailed around twice, so we could see this "awe-inspiring" sight... it was pretty cool, I must admit! The picture was tough, since I was using a SLR (Minolta maxxum) without a tripod or decent flash. I love that camera, but it can be a hassle for traveling!

Quote:
Your from the Bay area- i used to live a couple of hours from there not to long ago
Where did you live? I've been in & out of the Bay Area since age 7... for some reason I keep coming back, even when I've found places I like better! Mainly it's because some of my friends & family are here, but there's also a certain draw to this area. Despite it's problems, it's a great place to live!

Old 12-22-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LOL... yeah, they got all excited for us too. The captain even sailed around twice, so we could see this "awe-inspiring" sight... it was pretty cool, I must admit! The picture was tough, since I was using a SLR (Minolta maxxum) without a tripod or decent flash. I love that camera, but it can be a hassle for traveling!

Where did you live? I've been in & out of the Bay Area since age 7... for some reason I keep coming back, even when I've found places I like better! Mainly it's because some of my friends & family are here, but there's also a certain draw to this area. Despite it's problems, it's a great place to live!
I lived near the Monterey area..We are now in NC and love it. We also have a LOT of family and friends there but we got way more house for the $$$ here.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,634 times
hey any grand princess curisers out there my dh and I are going on our first curise on the Grand any info would help. It's the westren.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiser2 View Post
hey any grand princess curisers out there my dh and I are going on our first curise on the Grand any info would help. It's the westren.
Try www.cruisecritic.com all the info you need for cruises.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:52 AM

536 posts, read 1,099,891 times
my best cruise experience was my first cruise when we went on our honeymoon, and we were invited to eat dinner one night at the captains table. that was pretty cool, we felt important lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or