U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 02:02 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,349,725 times

Advertisements

Worst cruise: Titanic; North Atlantic. Ship sank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 09:13 AM

3,336 posts, read 12,646,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Worst cruise: Titanic; North Atlantic. Ship sank
Your a sick puppy! By the way just watched the remake of Posiedon. Could Hollywood make a worse movie?

Old 03-06-2007, 01:27 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,349,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Your a sick puppy! By the way just watched the remake of Posiedon. Could Hollywood make a worse movie?
Sorry...guess that's what happens when you spend 11 hours bouncing up and down on the highway... The original wasn't any good so I never bothered with the remake... I'll submit "Raising Arizona" as one of our worst here in Crew Chief-Land.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:43 PM

35 posts, read 148,912 times
I've done the 10 day Hawaiian Islands cruise on the Norwegian Wind which also went to the republic of Kiribatti. The food and staff were excellent however the booze was expensive and my bag was searched when I boarded so they took all my hooch. It was also a cruise for older couples and families. If you're single I would stay away from Norwegian Cruise lines.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:49 PM

55,665 posts, read 74,620,384 times
hesitant to mention names of cruise lines in a negative manner
but safe to say short excursions out of LA has been a problem.
tendency on some, cut the engines and flounder for a day rather than pay the docking fees. tendency for ethnic foreigners to take over the ship and elbow everybody else out, sharing is ok, but elbowing out is not.
tendency to let the seafood sit around lil too much.
i found this not true of the full week packages.
different crowd different service.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 11-24-2007 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-26-2007, 06:36 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,253,878 times
We just got back last night from our second cruise. It was our second time with Carnival. Last year it was great, different ship, better staff, just all around great.
This year we felt that the staff were jaded, the carnival camp staff just didnt want to be bothered ; We were in the 6-8 year old group and our boys were saying that the camp staff just left them up to their own a lot. After day 3 they didnt want to go. They would give them a piece of paper and crayons and say ; color.

In the dining room, one waitress was fantastic. She was really good. The head waiter got annoyed when I sent my meat back as it was mooing ; I like it medium rare, but not with blood oozing out. The guy next to us sent back the wine as it was not the one he ordered ( it was still closed), and again the waiter got annoyed. The room staff was good.

I think we will try another cruise line next year.
d

Old 12-04-2007, 03:48 AM

226 posts, read 1,105,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I've never been on a cruise and all I keep seeing are these huge ships with passengers coming into port shooting diarrhea after catching some nasty stomach virus.
I burn in ten minutes in bright sunlight, so going for the sun isn't on my agenda. The only reason I'd really like to go on a cruise perhaps is if the food is abundant with no restrictions on when I could hit the buffet or load up. I love buffets and good food 24/7. I traveled all through the Caribbean when I lived in Cuba,...Haiti, the Dominican Republic (where I got food poisoning in Puerto Plata), Puerto Rico where I met my parents and then we traveled the island together for a few days, Jamaica - five days partying and having fun in Montego Bay, then I met a group of Jamaicans who took me and some friends into the interior jungle to a sugar plant with the open air vats, molasses vats, etc. Fascination. I chewed on sugar cane a lot. But I like food more. I'd be so happy just to be on a ship that had one purpose only...feeding me culinary yummers at all hours with spectacular desserts.
Wow! You trusted Jamaicans with an excursion to the interior jungle? I have a hard time just surviving a Kingston pub crawl without getting assaulted or bothered. I would love to have that leap of fatih trust that goes with following Jamaicans into the interior jungle. I'll have to put that on my "to do" list on the next Jamaican trip.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:17 AM

226 posts, read 1,105,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Great post! Very informative actually. But honestly, for me, I wouldn't really care what ports the ship went to as long as the accomodations satisfied me. I'm more interested in the food and onboard lifestyle and I'd be totally disappointed and depressed if I got on a ship and the food sucked. I like foreign ports, but I have spent a lot of time overseas and worked/lived in the Philippines, stayed in Hong Kong, been through most of the Caribbean, including two years in Cuba, stayed long periods in Mexico, lived in Germany, have visited all of Western Europe and stayed for months in Spain while spending a lot of time in Paris which I actually found very friendly and nice. I go on actual trips to those places and "live" in them when I'm visiting. But for a cruise, I'm not so interested in the ports of call, I truly want to be like a Roman gorging on excess and be treated like a king and fed day and night scrumptious goodies in quantity and then dance if I feel like it, gamble I feel like it, swim if I feel like it, watch a show if I feel like it, and sleep when I feel like it. My focus would be the ship and enjoying its luxuries. The port calls would be nice, but not my main focus. For food and sheer pampering, which do you recommend?
Carnival Cruises is good for roman gorging, having its roots in party boats for young singles......most gorging is free, unlike the upscale stuff that has too many pricy alternatives. Carnival keeps it simple like the days of yore, and you can happily gorge the whole trip on pretty good stuff without getting off the ship, though the ports are short and fun, and good to stretch out and get a bit of sun. The breakfast buffet on Carnival is to die for, and I greatly looked forward to walking up each morning and heading towards the Lido deck for the spread, which had bacon, sausages, hash browns, eggs, pancakes, and on and on, plus a custom made-to-order omlette station. The Buffets are great for lunch too, with a different theme each day. For 24/hour munchies, you have a killer simple room service menu that is all included in your fare. Nice to watch TV like a roman god, and order a thick cheeseburger and shake with a large basket of crisp french fries at will. And, they have a 24 hour pizza station in the back of the lido deck, along with a deli open 6am -midnight that makes custom deli sandwiches. AND, they have a free diner section with big malts, burgers, fry baskets, and all that.........I didn't mention the formal sit-down food each evening for dinner, which includes lobster, filet mignon, and other great dishes and desserts each evening...AND, I didn't mention the vanilla ice cream and frozen yogurt stations liberally placed all over the boats Lido deck..........
are you hungry yet? LOL!

Old 12-07-2007, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,688 times
Royal Caribbean was terrible. Had the Royal Suite and another suite. Service was bad, staff was rude, the ship was banged up inside and food safety concerned me. I left the cruise early and flew home (they charge you $300 each for that privilege).

Old 12-11-2007, 07:04 AM

104 posts, read 443,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates1234 View Post
Carnival Cruises is good for roman gorging, having its roots in party boats for young singles......most gorging is free, unlike the upscale stuff that has too many pricy alternatives. Carnival keeps it simple like the days of yore, and you can happily gorge the whole trip on pretty good stuff without getting off the ship, though the ports are short and fun, and good to stretch out and get a bit of sun. The breakfast buffet on Carnival is to die for, and I greatly looked forward to walking up each morning and heading towards the Lido deck for the spread, which had bacon, sausages, hash browns, eggs, pancakes, and on and on, plus a custom made-to-order omlette station. The Buffets are great for lunch too, with a different theme each day. For 24/hour munchies, you have a killer simple room service menu that is all included in your fare. Nice to watch TV like a roman god, and order a thick cheeseburger and shake with a large basket of crisp french fries at will. And, they have a 24 hour pizza station in the back of the lido deck, along with a deli open 6am -midnight that makes custom deli sandwiches. AND, they have a free diner section with big malts, burgers, fry baskets, and all that.........I didn't mention the formal sit-down food each evening for dinner, which includes lobster, filet mignon, and other great dishes and desserts each evening...AND, I didn't mention the vanilla ice cream and frozen yogurt stations liberally placed all over the boats Lido deck..........
are you hungry yet? LOL!
Another faithful CCL cruiser I see. I absolutely love cruising and I've always done it with carnival. They all been 7 day cruises: first was on the Holiday, second on the Miracle, and third was on the Destiny. All were great ships, the Miracle was my fave out of all of them though. Lots to do on the ship and plenty to see and do at the ports. Met my current BF on the Carnival Destiny this past August. Gotta love Carnival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or