U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:41 PM

22 posts, read 95,709 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm a seasoned cruiser. I'm "diamond" (over 12 cruises) on Royal Caribbean and have also cruised with Celebrity a few times. Living in Southern California, I hop on cruises (for the right price) like some folks drive to the beach for the weekend. I particularly like visiting the Mexican Riviera. Food is always great and the locals are extremely friendly and enjoy showing off their beautiful homeland.

I have heard very few good things about Carnival. Mostly that it’s for “younger” people. They seem to drink more and party harder. There’s nothing wrong with that, but being "older", I prefer a more quiet vacation.

I think my next cruise will be Alaska or Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 08:31 PM

28,240 posts, read 39,895,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
We just got back last night from our second cruise. It was our second time with Carnival. Last year it was great, different ship, better staff, just all around great.
This year we felt that the staff were jaded, the carnival camp staff just didnt want to be bothered ; We were in the 6-8 year old group and our boys were saying that the camp staff just left them up to their own a lot. After day 3 they didnt want to go. They would give them a piece of paper and crayons and say ; color.

In the dining room, one waitress was fantastic. She was really good. The head waiter got annoyed when I sent my meat back as it was mooing ; I like it medium rare, but not with blood oozing out. The guy next to us sent back the wine as it was not the one he ordered ( it was still closed), and again the waiter got annoyed. The room staff was good.

I think we will try another cruise line next year.
d
I posted way back when in this thread and this post got my attention again.

We took a cruise on the Caribbean Princess last Feb. Crew was fantastic. The reason I quoted was that I also sent food back and our waiter didn't even blink. In fact when he brought the new meal out he told me I had to eat it all. I like a waiter that's not afraid to razz me.

I can't think of anything that I disliked about the cruise except maybe my lousy Blackjack playing. Unusual for me. A good time was had by all!!

Old 05-18-2010, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 9,264 times
About 15 years ago my sister, friends and I took a cruise in the Caribbean( Carnival) and whe had with us our birth certificate. Back then it was OK to show that instead of US passports. When I was packing to come back I didn't see the bc. I never found them. I think somenone took it as they will clean the room every day.....I was 21 and immature never tought this could happen. It is scary........

Old 05-20-2010, 07:04 PM

897 posts, read 1,457,710 times
I went on a Carnival Cruise in 1986(A Senior Trip). The food sucked(It was very mediocre) and the Staff was rude and arrogant as hell.

Last edited by David674UT; 05-20-2010 at 07:12 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 08:30 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,139,586 times
Great info. I have not been on a cruise yet, but I would love to go to Alaska.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:45 PM

1,572 posts, read 2,531,214 times
First, last, and worst cruise I've ever been on was with Carnival to Cozumel, Mexico.

Food was awful... cafeteria food. Entertainment was cheesy (overused catchphrase used was "smile everyone, you're on vacation!!"). Spent 5 hours on land in Mexico.

It seemed like a corporate feeding frenzy of a mess. The places I went in Mexico were Carnival owned operations... hardly anything unique.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:15 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,323,560 times
The best cruises I went on were Royal Olympic in the Mediterranean. Wonderful.

The worst was to Alaska. But it was all weather related. Gale force winds and 30ft rolling swells. I was sorry for all the poor people who were seasick. Cold and unending rain. All the tender ports were cancelled and we got back to Vancouver a day early. It was an awful waste of vacation time and money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or