U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 10:21 AM

3 posts, read 13,457 times

Advertisements

my husband and I want to go on our first cruise. What is the best way to book one in terms of price, etc? Travel agent, online, directly with the cruise line? Any recommendations are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 11:25 AM

604 posts, read 4,309,050 times
some of those big online travel places are the best place to start. cruisesonly.com is one that comes to mind.

best deals are when kids are in school and it isn't a holiday (october, early december, january, february etc), caribbean is still nice this time a year and not many storms.

booking under 2 months also gets greats deals.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:16 PM

39,530 posts, read 47,699,472 times
We always use a travel agent. We get the best deals and a guaranteed itenary, pricing, and insurance in case something goes wrong. They arrange everything from door to door.
A good travel agent will work with your wants and needs. They can explain every detail to you and work out side trips etc.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:15 PM
pfw

186 posts, read 781,645 times
Go checkout Cruise Critic - Cruises, Cruise Ship Reviews, Ratings, Cruise Deals, Cruise Forums, it's a great website to help you with cruises.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:42 PM

4,270 posts, read 13,968,377 times
I've been on 2 cruises and just booked my 3rd cruise yesterday. All three times I've booked directly from the cruise's web site. The best deals you get will be during "off peak" and no matter what web site you go to, I've noticed, is always high during peak. I've never booked through a third party before. I tried through my credit card's discount site but it wasn't much of a discount. It was seriously cheaper to book directly through the company. If I were you, I'd start with a "small cruise". Nothing to big or fancy just to see if you like the experience. Some people don't like that kind of atmostphere. Personally, I love cruising! So many great opportunities to people watch! Anyway, goodluck and have fun!!

Here are some main cruiselines here in the States:
Royal Caribbean
Princess
Norwegian Cruiseline
Celebrity
Carnival
Holland America

Old 06-15-2008, 03:16 PM

325 posts, read 990,404 times
I also think it is best to book directly through the cruise line. It doesnt seem to me that you really get any great discounts through 3rd party sites. I dont know your age and what kind of experience you are looking for but I do have cruise experience and if you want more detailed information feel free to PM me. If you do have a little extra money to spend I reccommend Princess. They are a fantastic line. Some people might disagree, but I say avoid Norweigien at all costs. The worst cruise I have ever been on.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:54 PM

I agree Princess is great, we've done 8 of them. Carnival is the party boat if you're into that sort of thing.
We found booking through a travel agent cost no more than booking directly. With our travel agent we were able to get the best rooms with a view, guaranteed, and all the amenities and side trips making it no hassle. They also coordinate the air flights and have gotten us good deals on air pricing. TA's work on commissions from the cruise lines, so if you book direct the cruise line makes a little more profit.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:55 PM

55,647 posts, read 74,595,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CChelle View Post
my husband and I want to go on our first cruise. What is the best way to book one in terms of price, etc? Travel agent, online, directly with the cruise line? Any recommendations are appreciated.
expedia.com will do ya.
take lots of underwear and comfortable dancing shoes.
dental floss and toothpaste & laundry soap.
swim trunks.
have fun.

pdclipart.com
free clipart

Old 06-18-2008, 08:01 AM

333 posts, read 910,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I agree Princess is great, we've done 8 of them. Carnival is the party boat if you're into that sort of thing.
Party boat? That's such an old stereotype! Have you been on Carnival or are you speaking from what you hear?

Old 06-18-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelizePlease View Post
Party boat? That's such an old stereotype! Have you been on Carnival or are you speaking from what you hear?
Yes, party boat that caters to the younger crowd.
Kids running around, drunks falling all over the place atc etc.
Here's even a google site with hundreds of complaints about the 'party boat' atmosphere.
Carnival cruise lines known as the party boat - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or