Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 12:34 AM

485 posts, read 1,648,142 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on taking a cruise to Cozumel, Mexico this Fall. He seems to think that we will have to obtain passports for this. A friend of mine that went a couple of years ago said that she didn't have to have one. Does anyone know about this? Has there been a new law passed in the last couple of years regarding passports for cruises to Mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 04:14 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,564 times
If you are leaving and coming back to a US port for your cruise you only need to bring your state id (license or non-driver id) and a birth certificate to board the boat and to get off at any of the ports. January you will be required to have a passport I think. I went in March and we had no problems, but be sure to check with your cruise line for specifics in case anything has changed. Have fun!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:24 PM

224 posts, read 777,487 times
I would double check with your travel agent or try to contact a passport office (maybe the post office?) - I thought the requirements for passports to Mexico/Caribbean started this past January. A friend of mine is going on a cruise in October and will need a passport, and her husband traveled to Canada in May and needed one. There has been reports on the news lately that the passport office is overwhelmed with new applications because of the new requirements (for Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean), and they are possibly putting a freeze on the passport requirement for these destinations only for travel from now until September (to help them "catch up"). Any travel agent should be able to get the information for you. It's better to be too prepared than not at all!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:29 PM

Thank you both for your helpful information. I've never even thought about getting a passport for anything, so I'm completely uneducated as to where to get them and what they generally cost. Would anyone be able to help me with that?

Old 06-22-2007, 08:27 AM

224 posts, read 777,487 times
You can download and print the application online, or go to your post office and they can answer a lot of your questions and give you the appropriate forms. I really have no idea how much it cost. It used to be about $70 but that was almost 10 years ago so I'm sure the fee has increased. Our local post office even takes passport pictures, but you can also get them done pretty much at any walgreens or walmart too.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:20 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,564 times
Here are the cruise requirements for Carnival, Royal and Princess...

Carnival Cruise Lines - Frequently Asked Questions
Passport Requirements - Royal Caribbean International
Princess Cruises : Frequently Asked Questions : Passport Requirements (broken link)

The air travel requirements went into effect of January 2007 but the cruise requirements aren't until January 2008 (and may be extended until June 2008). Again have fun on your trip!

Old 06-23-2007, 01:09 AM

Thank you all for your help. It looks like its in our best interests to go ahead and apply for our passports. I had no idea it would be so expensive though. The cruise alone is costing more than we would normally spend and these extras are only weighing us down. $70 years ago is too much for me to spend today with the rise in the cost of gas and everything. Oh well, we'll see what happens.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:38 AM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,234 times
The State Department is being deluged with passport requests due to the pending requirements for travel to countries which previously did not require one. They're advising to get your application in as soon as possible as the wait time is about three months.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:51 PM

So, do I go to the post office to get an application, or should I just search the Internet to find one to download?

Old 06-23-2007, 10:35 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,234 times
Unless your post office can process the photographs, go to your county seat. The office there will be able to put everything together.

This is the Department of State webpage regarding passports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises