U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:40 PM

5,189 posts, read 13,379,951 times

Advertisements

Carnival is NOT the "party ship" that they used to be! And really, a cruise is what YOU make of it...you can party, or not. You can take part in the activities, or not....it's YOUR vacation, and the ship is like a resort...do as you please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 05:01 PM

407 posts, read 1,173,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousetrap View Post
My family and I are planning a vacation for '09 and thought a cruise would be great.

We are not looking to go on a booze cruise so for us Carnival is out.
Instead we are looking for a high end line with a great reputation.

If you have cruised in the past and have a recommendation I would appreciate any information you could offer.

I guess I should also ask,did you like it? & would you go on a cruise again?

Thanks!

Don't quite understand what you mean by "booze cruise." Alcohol is available on every cruise ship, and is one of the ways they make a lot of money from passengers. You can elect to drink or not, but nothing is pushed on you. As a matter of fact, the "high end" lines supply wine with every meal and liquor in your stateroom. As for the other lines, you are charged separate from the cost of the cruise itself, and these charges are tallied at the end of the cruise and placed on your supplied credit card, or you can pay in cash - but only at the end of the cruise. It's more of a matter of WHEN you cruise -- college spring break can be rough on some lines, holidays, and summer break get a different crowd onto some cruises. Check out the sites mentioned in the OPs, and you'll get quite a bit of information. For me, cruising is the way to go.....relaxing, entertaining, and the eating!

Old 01-25-2009, 05:10 PM

1,435 posts, read 4,359,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousetrap View Post
My family and I are planning a vacation for '09 and thought a cruise would be great.

We are not looking to go on a booze cruise so for us Carnival is out.
Instead we are looking for a high end line with a great reputation.
We went on a Carnival 4 night cruise in October and did not find it to be a crazy atmosphere at all. Surprisingly, we saw more drunk people acting like idiots on our prior Royal Car. cruise.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:06 AM

39,585 posts, read 47,836,774 times
I've been on 9 cruises, most with Princess, and have enjoyed all of them. Pick out a place you want to go, get on the web site for the cruise ships, and check out their itenerary. Most popular places the itenerary is the same for each cruise line.
When you go to book make sure you're in season. Though the price may be higher, at least you'll have pretty much ideal weather. Off season deals can be good, but they're chancy. We took an off season cruise to Alaska (late Sept) one time and it rained everyday and all tours were cancelled. It was a mistake and our travel agent didn't warn us. We later went through another agency and booked the same trip in July and had a fantastic time. But be aware it does rain alot in Alaska so there is a chance you may see some if you decide to go there. Alaska gets upwards of 240 inches of rain each year.
The Carribean, Hawaii, Panama Canal, and other similiar trips are great also. We just returned from a cruise around South America. Great time, good weather and the ship experiences were fantastic.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:10 PM

269 posts, read 880,490 times
Second Princess! I've been on 8 cruises and enjoyed each one.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:06 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,072,988 times
Of the mainstream cruiselines, Celebrity is probably the most "upscale", with Princess not far behind (but still, it's not quite as good as Celebrity). Holland America is another mainstream cruise line that edges into the upscale category, but it caters to a very elderly market. Lately, HA has been making some effort to attract a younger clientele, but it's still pretty much a (very) old people's cruise line. If you've never been on a cruise, you should know that in general, the more expensive the cruise, the older the passengers will be -- but HA passengers are especially old. Just something to keep in mind.

Beyond that, there are the ultra-luxury lines. Without knowing what your budget is, or what you are looking for, I really am not sure what to recommend -- as far as cruise prices and luxuries, the sky is the limit. Crystal Cruises consistently holds the flag for the most exquisite cuisine at sea, so if you are a gourmand, this is a cruise line for you. Cunard offers a very old-world British experience to sophisticated cruisers, and its Queen Mary 2 is simply fabulous. Seaborn and Silversea are exquisite as well. Regardless of the differences, all ultra-luxury lines offer impeccable white glove service and top-notch facilities.

Then there are the specialty cruises, which are a subset of the ultra-luxury category. These are cruises that have scholars and naturalists on board giving in-depth guidance to destinations, and they have very interesting itineraries concentrating more on historical monuments and natural wonders than on beaches or shopping. Ex.: Azamara, Swan Hellenic.

I saw someone took an issue with Carnival being characterized as a "booze cruise". Whatever you call it, Carnival is the Walmart of cruising. It has bottom-line amenities, spotty service and awful, simply awful food. Alcohol leaves much to be desired too -- wine selection is very poor, liquors are all generic, bar tenders can make only the most basic drinks and only passably well. With Carnival, a bigger ship means simply more passengers, nor more amenities; a 40K-ton Celebrity vessel will have a lot more to offer you than a 100K-ton Celebrity ship. And, I hate to say this, but fellow passengers are another disappointment. I don't consider myself excessively prim and proper, but when foul-mouthed teenagers and provincial SAHMs trek through the dining room barefoot and half-undressed, it does rub me the wrong way. Don't be offended, Carnival fans, but you know -- it's downtown Redneckville, basically. In short, it's cheap, but there are no miracles; you get what you pay for.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:50 PM

8,123 posts, read 12,701,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Of the mainstream cruiselines, Celebrity is probably the most "upscale", with Princess not far behind (but still, it's not quite as good as Celebrity). Holland America is another mainstream cruise line that edges into the upscale category, but it caters to a very elderly market. Lately, HA has been making some effort to attract a younger clientele, but it's still pretty much a (very) old people's cruise line. If you've never been on a cruise, you should know that in general, the more expensive the cruise, the older the passengers will be -- but HA passengers are especially old. Just something to keep in mind.

Beyond that, there are the ultra-luxury lines. Without knowing what your budget is, or what you are looking for, I really am not sure what to recommend -- as far as cruise prices and luxuries, the sky is the limit. Crystal Cruises consistently holds the flag for the most exquisite cuisine at sea, so if you are a gourmand, this is a cruise line for you. Cunard offers a very old-world British experience to sophisticated cruisers, and its Queen Mary 2 is simply fabulous. Seaborn and Silversea are exquisite as well. Regardless of the differences, all ultra-luxury lines offer impeccable white glove service and top-notch facilities.

Then there are the specialty cruises, which are a subset of the ultra-luxury category. These are cruises that have scholars and naturalists on board giving in-depth guidance to destinations, and they have very interesting itineraries concentrating more on historical monuments and natural wonders than on beaches or shopping. Ex.: Azamara, Swan Hellenic.

I saw someone took an issue with Carnival being characterized as a "booze cruise". Whatever you call it, Carnival is the Walmart of cruising. It has bottom-line amenities, spotty service and awful, simply awful food. Alcohol leaves much to be desired too -- wine selection is very poor, liquors are all generic, bar tenders can make only the most basic drinks and only passably well. With Carnival, a bigger ship means simply more passengers, nor more amenities; a 40K-ton Celebrity vessel will have a lot more to offer you than a 100K-ton Celebrity ship. And, I hate to say this, but fellow passengers are another disappointment. I don't consider myself excessively prim and proper, but when foul-mouthed teenagers and provincial SAHMs trek through the dining room barefoot and half-undressed, it does rub me the wrong way. Don't be offended, Carnival fans, but you know -- it's downtown Redneckville, basically. In short, it's cheap, but there are no miracles; you get what you pay for.
I don't think we will ever cruise Carnival again. Don't "complain" about the dress code at dinner not being enforced. We were basically told, "Too bad. What do you want us to do about it". Very loud. Teenagers running through the halls at night. My son was 5 and the children's programs were at the back of the ship up a narrow stairway. We were not impressed. RC's kids' program was much better. I don't know which line we will try next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or