U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 04:10 PM

16,199 posts, read 10,568,000 times

Advertisements

I have never been on a cruise before so this is a first for us.

My question is how to dress the end of Sept. Do I bring summery clothing with a light jacket.
Long pants, short pants. short sleeve, long sleeve, sweater, bathing suits.
Is it still tropical with maybe chilly nights?

any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 06:21 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,272,053 times
My only cruise was the Philly to Bermuda last August. I think you will need comfortable clothes such as shorts, slacks, and short sleeve tops, one good sweater, and a dressy outfit for the dining room. I took two pairs of shorts, several t-shirts, two shorts outfits that I wore to dinner. Some people really dressed up for formal night, but most people just wore nice clothes. I took a black skirt and two nice tops. Bring two bathing suits and beach towels or you can buy a souvenir beach towel in one of the shops. You will find it very easy to get around Bermuda. The bus system is fabulous and takes you all over the island. You will find that food is very expensive in Bermuda, but food on the cruise is very good so just eat there. Our tablemates in the dining room were wonderful people and we still keep in touch with one couple. There is a nice aquarium to tour and the beaches are nice, but I didn't think the beaches were as nice as in the Caribbean. The ship we went on was very small and there was not much to do if you don't gamble. I put in a lot of miles walking around the one deck. If you are a walker, take sneakers and your IPod. Also, when you first board the ship, as you make your way to the top deck, someone will hand you a drink. It is not free. So, if you are not a drinker, turn them down. No alcoholic drinks are free. Also, the pool was small and no steps to get down into it--only a ladder.

One thing about the cruise is that it was one of the most relaxing vacations that we have ever had. So enjoy.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
My only cruise was the Philly to Bermuda last August. I think you will need comfortable clothes such as shorts, slacks, and short sleeve tops, one good sweater, and a dressy outfit for the dining room. I took two pairs of shorts, several t-shirts, two shorts outfits that I wore to dinner. Some people really dressed up for formal night, but most people just wore nice clothes. I took a black skirt and two nice tops. Bring two bathing suits and beach towels or you can buy a souvenir beach towel in one of the shops. You will find it very easy to get around Bermuda. The bus system is fabulous and takes you all over the island. You will find that food is very expensive in Bermuda, but food on the cruise is very good so just eat there. Our tablemates in the dining room were wonderful people and we still keep in touch with one couple. There is a nice aquarium to tour and the beaches are nice, but I didn't think the beaches were as nice as in the Caribbean. The ship we went on was very small and there was not much to do if you don't gamble. I put in a lot of miles walking around the one deck. If you are a walker, take sneakers and your IPod. Also, when you first board the ship, as you make your way to the top deck, someone will hand you a drink. It is not free. So, if you are not a drinker, turn them down. No alcoholic drinks are free. Also, the pool was small and no steps to get down into it--only a ladder.

One thing about the cruise is that it was one of the most relaxing vacations that we have ever had. So enjoy.
Thanks so much. Tell me, was the ship Norwegien Majesty? I thought they had a movie theater?
Thanks for the tip on drinks.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:05 AM

The ship we took was Empress of the Seas, which no longer sails out of Philly. We never saw a movie theater (not saying it wasn't there). They had a few shows but nothing special. Seasoned cruisers who we spoke to on the ship said that the Empress was not the one to take on your first cruise because it was so small and did not have the amenities of larger ships. There was only one pool but I understand most ships have several. I didn't think the shopping on board was anything special but most of the shops could not open until we were in international waters.

I do think it is a very relaxing vacation. While I did not think it was the best vacation, I would do it again. My husband felt it was the best and most relaxing vacation he had ever had. Once the ship sails, you don't have to worry about driving, planes arriving on time, etc. Cabins aren't huge, but I really thought ours was comfortable. The only tight space was the shower.

The most surprising thing to me was in the dining room. On our first night, we ate in the buffet area. When we checked the second night, the dining room had a great menu and we ate there. As we showed up, the maitre d' wanted to know where we had been. Then, people at our table ordered more than one entree. Being new to cruising, I had no idea that you could order multiples. Desserts were great. Staff was always exceptionally helpful and nice.

Are you taking the 5 or 7 day cruise and from where?

If I think of anything else, I will post.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
The ship we took was Empress of the Seas, which no longer sails out of Philly. We never saw a movie theater (not saying it wasn't there). They had a few shows but nothing special. Seasoned cruisers who we spoke to on the ship said that the Empress was not the one to take on your first cruise because it was so small and did not have the amenities of larger ships. There was only one pool but I understand most ships have several. I didn't think the shopping on board was anything special but most of the shops could not open until we were in international waters.

I do think it is a very relaxing vacation. While I did not think it was the best vacation, I would do it again. My husband felt it was the best and most relaxing vacation he had ever had. Once the ship sails, you don't have to worry about driving, planes arriving on time, etc. Cabins aren't huge, but I really thought ours was comfortable. The only tight space was the shower.

The most surprising thing to me was in the dining room. On our first night, we ate in the buffet area. When we checked the second night, the dining room had a great menu and we ate there. As we showed up, the maitre d' wanted to know where we had been. Then, people at our table ordered more than one entree. Being new to cruising, I had no idea that you could order multiples. Desserts were great. Staff was always exceptionally helpful and nice.

Are you taking the 5 or 7 day cruise and from where?

If I think of anything else, I will post.
We are taking the 7 day cruise from Philly to ST George.

Thanks, I can use all the help I can get

Old 09-10-2008, 07:31 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,672,098 times
Sept? A surival kit, paid life insurance,......kiddin. mid 80's day 70's at nite like, more like shorts/tees with a light sweater just for nite outside outings, that are rare .You will be poolside all day and indoors at nite..maybe just for a deck stroll to get some air and star gaze. The water temp. is at its warmest so dont expect such cool nights.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
Sept? A surival kit, paid life insurance,......kiddin. mid 80's day 70's at nite like, more like shorts/tees with a light sweater just for nite outside outings, that are rare .You will be poolside all day and indoors at nite..maybe just for a deck stroll to get some air and star gaze. The water temp. is at its warmest so dont expect such cool nights.
LOL..........I know Happy. Not the best time to plan a cruise to Bermuda

Our 40th anniversary and money is a tad tight. We got a "GREAT" deal.
Will take our chances and have faith that the weather will cooperate.

Thanks for the information

Old 09-10-2008, 08:03 AM

St. George is a lovely town. We went to Tobacco Bay, which was nice. Some people went to Fort St. Catherine to swim and it is really supposed to be nice. Is St. George your only port?

Old 09-11-2008, 12:22 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,071,139 times
I've been in Bermuda in late August, and it was quite hot. Locals have told me that temperatures drop into the sixties in October, so September should be quite comfortable.

As for what clothing to bring -- hey, you are on a cruise! One of the benefits of not having to schlep your suitcases around is that you can bring more clothes and shoes than you normally would on a land trip. Shorts are definitely okay in Bermuda (not TOO short, though). Just in case though, bring some layers.

Quote:
If you are a walker, take sneakers and your IPod. Also, when you first board the ship, as you make your way to the top deck, someone will hand you a drink. It is not free.
Our welcome drink was free! (Celebrity)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or