U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 03:02 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,296,305 times

Advertisements

We have only taken one cruise and it was the destination that was important to us since we knew nothing about the ship. We had always planned to go to Bermuda, and it was the perfect place for our first cruise. We had a good bit of time (I don't think that you ever feel that you have had enough time in one place) and it was easy to travel around the island.

Our cabin was actually a nice size except that the shower was a little tight. Food was good and our tablemates were wonderful.

My husband really liked the cruise and felt it was the most relaxing vacation that we had ever had. I am not sure that I would want the 7 stops in 7 days. The ship has a lot to do, but it is also a great place to just relax. I am more of an A-type personality, so it took me about 30 hours to actually relax. We sailed out of Philly and it took almost 3 hours to pass our house in Delaware. At that point, I was ready to get off the ship and just go home. However, I did get over that.

We also knew that if we hated the ship, it was an easy flight home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 06:41 PM

7,190 posts, read 11,253,556 times
We're still a mix of destination and ship. I don't need to be on the biggest or fanciest ship. I want clean and well run. I was also spoiled by the balcony upgrade a couple of cruises ago, but as a family, I get more bang for the buck going with two Oceanviews instead. Once the kids move on, the DW & I will be gracing the balcony on future cruises.

As far as destination goes, I'm like Ani in that we want to spend at least one day at a beach resort. I also like to tour around the port town when we visit, just to see its makeup and history.

We just returned from our 5th Carnival cruise and we have yet to be let down by the cruising experience.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:32 AM

3,385 posts, read 9,935,817 times
The ship. You'll spend at least 1-2 days on the ship, without docking at all, depending on the cruise. Even on docked days, you'll be spending the evening on the ship. You spend much more time on the ship then any destination.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:39 AM

3,665 posts, read 6,502,909 times
As someone who has been on 5 cruises and am going on one in a month, a short one to the Bahamas:

If you are going on a short Bahamas cruise, pick it for the stops. I have found one that I like, it is the 4 day Majesty Of The Seas out of Miami. It goes to Nassau, which is ok, Their private island, which is AMAZING, and Key West, which is great as well.

The thing, also, is that typically, the older boats are the ones that do the shorter trips, hence the way cheaper price. My and my SO are going on a 4 day in Dec, The cruise for 2 people, inside cabin, was....$450 dollars.

The short Bahamas ones, they typically only go to Key West, Cozumel (maybe) Nassau, Private Islands, and maybe a couple other closer ports. I have found a lot of the shorter cruises spend almost no time at the stops. The Majesty is at each stop for a significant amount of time, more than enough for each stop to get off and have fun

Old 11-16-2008, 09:17 AM

11,734 posts, read 11,576,448 times
After 20+ cruises, I would choose by destination and try to stay with Princess or Royal Caribbean. I've sailed with 6 cruise lines and their ships are the best fit for me. Everyone has their favorite cruise line or ship, now that I'm "older" (61), I tend to go for medium size ships instead of the megas.

I haven't been to Asia, Australia/New Zealand, So. America so those are my goals. Short cruises never interested me or going to the Caribbean anymore, in the 80s it was great before it got so crowded and so overwhelmed with ships.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:25 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,517,299 times
This was skimmed in a prior post, but cruise ships are a business.
The extras you spend on a ship, spa treatments, beauty salon, tips, drinks, purchases of trinkets, etc -
all of that revenue is lost each day you spend off the ship.
So, it stands to reason that there is very little time spent at port and a huge amount of time spent on board.
I was looking for a world cruise, and shocked to see mostly, you only spend a part of a day in each port. Seems like a waste of money to me, so we are planning our own.
So, we will be going on cruises, but probably when we are tired of walking on tours, going from one country to the next. We are still fit enough to do that.
Also, just a reminder, if you do not enjoy children, I am told the longer cruises and those which are not done during breaks in the school year hold more promise.
I am still annoyed at the thought of formal nights. It seems that cruises often cater to an older crowd, but evening gowns seem to be fashioned for young, slender, women.
I think I would get two or three pair of evening slacks and just top them off with a variety of dressy tops and jackets that I could possibly have further use for in my real life - but even then, it would be 'iffy'. I am not the grandma with sequined top and jeans sort.

I know there are a few who offer no formal nights.

I would really enjoy lectures on board of different countries and customs, etc.
It is strange that such things seem relatively rare.
I get the impression that there is a lot of drinking and a high noise level on some cruises, but little that is really interesting.
I will hold my opinions until I finally go, though. Some things in life are almost exclusively experiential.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:01 PM

6 posts, read 19,979 times
Now that we've been to the Caribbean so many times we go on the Cruise for the ship. Looking forward to the Oasis of the Seas. We'll stay on the ship and explore instead of getting off in ports we've already seen many times.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:49 PM

269 posts, read 881,004 times
Both....we love Princess and it always feel like home.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:37 PM

226 posts, read 801,011 times
We are cruisers, averaging 5 or 6 a year. First I look at the ship. There are many different catagories and we like comfort! We like to have at least a junior suite, since it gives us more room to spread out. My husband like some of the others, enjoys being in the room and mostly the balcony. I do enjoy dining and meeting new people then, but I dont want to spend all my time around strangers. I actually like being with my husband. Some ports we have been to so many times we dont get off the ship. If we are on a cruise and its interesting port, or someplace we havent gone before we go tour. We did alot of excursions when we went thru the panama canal, and then the S America cruise. Hawaiian cruise is something to see also. But with some of these new ships coming out, I will go anywhere! We just got back from the RC freedom of the seas. Wonderful ship., and are booked on the new Oasis!
I have found with most of the caribbean excursions, if you did it in one country, they have basically the same things in the next. We have started to branch out to Asia, and Europe. My favorite lines are Royal Caribbean, Princess who seem to cater to the older crowd, some Carnival if you stay away from the "party ships" and the smaller older ones. And dont forget Disney... they are an outstanding line, there truly is the disney difference, I've enoyed the 8 cruises we took with the family on Disney.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:07 PM

1,744 posts, read 3,206,051 times
Really depends where we're going too. There are several posts like this it appears. We did a mediterranean and the ship was small but it really didn't matter as it was all about the ports. Agree too that the caribbean is not what it used to be and we go with the ship there. We're doing a roundtruip Sydney cruise in November and it's mostly about the ports We were on the QE2 once and Cunard is really about the onboard social experience. Not my cup of tea but very glad we did it before it was sold. There were a couple sea days between each port. Another was on Windstar and although it was a small ship I really like the casual atmosphere with a fewer number of people. We were able to dock/tender in areas where the biggers ships couldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises