U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2008, 09:31 AM

485 posts, read 1,660,340 times

Advertisements

I was so excited when I read the advertisement from Carnival Cruiselines about a Seven (7) Night Cruise I could go on out of Miami for only $299.00. I was all ready to book and almost had my bags packed. But then I realized that most advertisements for cruises are con jobs and that was just a base price.

Only after I looked into it further did I find out the real price. It took quite a bit of digging. They forgot to mention the fuel surcharge ($80), taxes ($60.00), Port Charges ($40), mandatory tips ($70) and booking fees. (that is $250 extra or 80% of the advertised price) This is a scandal.

Next time I go to the grocery store and see if the cost of Orange Juice is $3.40, will they add an additional 80% in fees after I get to the cash register?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 10:10 AM

5,189 posts, read 13,345,274 times
It's just like the airlines---the price you see is NOT the price you pay! And don't forget that on most "mainstream" cruiselines, (Carnival, RCI, NCL, HAL, etc...) alcohol, sodas, and some food is EXTRA! If you want to do an "excursion" in a port. that'll cost, too!
There's really no "cheap" cruise, although they can be a good value!

Old 10-15-2008, 10:31 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,246,765 times
I heard on the news last night that cruise lines and airlines are starting to drop the fuel surcharge. I would definitely contact the cruise line. Tipping is expected but on our cruise, we tipped what we wanted to at the end of the cruise. All cruises have taxes and port fees. Cruising is one of the least expensive ways to travel.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:48 PM

1,719 posts, read 6,139,806 times
ugh, paid like 330 for a 5 day mexican cruise on verandah
paying 410 for a 5 day cabo cruise on verandah with a window view

cheap IMO...most decent hotels are over 100/night without food or entertainment.
This isn't the 1950s

Old 10-18-2008, 06:33 PM

7,185 posts, read 11,223,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
I was so excited when I read the advertisement from Carnival Cruiselines about a Seven (7) Night Cruise I could go on out of Miami for only $299.00. I was all ready to book and almost had my bags packed. But then I realized that most advertisements for cruises are con jobs and that was just a base price.

Only after I looked into it further did I find out the real price. It took quite a bit of digging. They forgot to mention the fuel surcharge ($80), taxes ($60.00), Port Charges ($40), mandatory tips ($70) and booking fees. (that is $250 extra or 80% of the advertised price) This is a scandal.
So you can do 7 nights in a motel for two people with all meals (excluding soda & alcohol) for better than $78 per person? Wow, I'd like to see that!

The offer you read about is pretty good! The cruise line quotes the basic fare plus taxes, fees, and surcharges. Auto tipping is added to your bill when you are aboard.

What ship is the one you wrote about? I may go ahead and book it.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:01 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 10,766,600 times
You know, I was looking at spending 4 days in the Bahamas in Jan (yes, high season, but after the holidays). I was pricing a Comfort Suites. Instead, I got 5 nights on a cruise for about $200 less (all the fees you mention minus tips). Lets see, 4 nights in the cheapest Comfort Inn room vs. 5 nights in a balcony room plus food and entertainment? Easy choice for us. Flights were cheaper too, Miami vs. Nassau.

Seriously, given the price you listed, I cannot imagine going on a vacation anywhere near as nice as a cruise for $78pp/pn including food and things to do. Yes, you do have to look at the total, but you do the same thing with the airlines, too. Annoying, but a fact of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or