U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2008, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,849 posts, read 6,783,888 times
Reputation: 1651

Advertisements

thanks "cats" I shouldn't have used the word "claustrophobia" i just meant that I hope I don't experience that "trapped" feeling, that's all! thanks for the tips about watching my valuables, I will do that. I assume there's a safe?
I'm looking forward to the adventure! I'll have friends there and we plan to have a great time!





Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Previous posters have covered a lot of wonderful information. My suggestions would be that you follow your cruise line's instructions to the letter. Many of those instructions are for your own peace of mind, many others are for your safety and the safety of the ship.

As quickly as absolutely possible, look up your cruise line's website, go to the particular cruise you're taking, and study the excursions available -- and sign up quickly for the ones you want. They fill up quickly.

If you don't know if you'll get seasick or not, plan ahead. Get your doctor to prescribe seasick med(s) now and get the Rx filled before you leave so that you have it available when you board the ship. The ship's doctor will also have meds available, but if you have stormy seas you'll have to wait in line while you feel miserable. Take care of yourself before you go.

You can't possibly get claustrophobic on a cruise ship. Much too large. Your cabin will be small, so think of it as a small studio apartment.

Remember you're traveling with a small city of people you don't know. They aren't your friends. Protect your valuables, and don't do anything you wouldn't do in groups of strangers in a strange city.

Your cruise line's website will answer a million questions. So will Cruisecritic.com.

A cruise is great fun! Have a fabulous adventure!

Here are recent threads with useful information on City-Data:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/trave...go-cruise.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/trave...-line-why.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/trave...re-cruise.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/trave...ed-cruise.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/trave...ise-lines.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2008, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,849 posts, read 6,783,888 times
Reputation: 1651
thank you CB- I just ordered the carnival brochure and DVD, and I am looking into the excursions now! I can't wait!! a little nervous, but in a good way!
I can't wait to have an early cup of coffee and watch the ocean!!




Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
When you get to the ship, you're going to be amazed at how big it is! When you wake up in the middle of the ocean, you'll be surprised at how small such a big thing can be!
You won't feel claustrophobic. You will have a great time! It's really no different from any other type of vacation, except that you're moving!
Do get Carnival's cruise brochure, so you can learn all about your cruiseline, it's rule and regs, safety, added costs.....everything!
And, go to Cruisecritic.com--check under the Carnival boards--lot's of info there! Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2008, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,849 posts, read 6,783,888 times
Reputation: 1651
"Red"-- I think I have an ocean view room, so I hope to have some light, Of course I don't plan to be in my room much during the day anyway. so you say the windows don't open to the outside? interesting.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
I've never had to use an air freshener, but then, I've never been on a Carnival ship. I've been on Celebrity (oceanview cabins) and on Princess (interior cabin), and stuffiness was never a problem. Still, I didn't like the interior cabin, even though it was not stuffy, and kudos to the designers for bending over backwards to try to make it look less like a small, windowless room. But again, I've never been on Carnival.

In any event, if you have a balcony cabin, I don't see how stuffiness can become an issue (unless you are on an aging ship that hasn't been refurbished in a while, and the fabrics and furnishings have become "musty" because of the humidity and all that sea air). These cabins generally get pretty good air circulation. Interior and "oceanview" (i.e. window) cabins are another story. They don't open to the outside and depend entirely on the AC for their freshness. So if you are in one of those, it's possible it will get stuffy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2008, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,849 posts, read 6,783,888 times
Reputation: 1651
Dmarie-- Nasty!! chocolate pudding??!! Ugh-I'm not a swimmer anyway, but I was going to splash around a little, but I'll remember to do ir early!
I suppose the hot tubs are grosser?
I am defiantely looking forward to the food! and the casino. I may check out a show.
thanks!



Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Sports,
There is so much too do.You won't feel trapped. Take advantage of the food offered! Swim in the pool early in the trip, but not later. I noticed on my last carnival cruise that if up close the pool looked nice, but from the top deck it looked like chocolate pudding. It was clean at first, but after days of people swiming it was gross.

Everything else was fantastic.

Tour the ship at first, find all the cool nooks and cranys! We cound hidden table tennis courts that were always empty! Do the corny shows, they're actually fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2008, 01:21 PM
pfw
 
Location: I'm not sure, TX
186 posts, read 782,619 times
Reputation: 49
You've received tons of great advice but I'll add a bit more...

Bring an electrical power strip, you will find the rooms are severely lacking in available plugs.
Have cash, even though everything will be charged to your sign and sail card. It will be much easier to deal with cash in the foreign ports and you'll need the money for any additional tipping at the end of the cruise. If you decide to only use a credit card in the foreign ports make sure your credit card company is aware of the fact that you will be out of the country. Otherwise they might decline the charges.
Your cell phone will most likely work on the ship and in other countries but it will cost you precious pennies. As soon as you get to the ship, turn the thing off and don't think about it again until you get back to the US.
Spa services will be cheaper on port days because everyone goes on excursions. If you want to do a spa service keep that in mind. The goods in the jewelry store and other gift shops will get cheaper at the end of the cruise.
In the dining room at dinner, you can order multiple dishes. If you want a steak but also want to try the shrimp order both. It's allowed, it's acceptable, and it's expected that it will happen. On our last cruise our waitress would automatically bring us the dishes that were on the menu that we hadn't ordered just so we could try them.

Take the advice and go check out cruise critic. I love that website, it's my way to cruise when I can't be on a cruise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2008, 04:15 PM
 
Location: NYC area
3,486 posts, read 5,078,033 times
Reputation: 3854
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
"Red"-- I think I have an ocean view room, so I hope to have some light, Of course I don't plan to be in my room much during the day anyway. so you say the windows don't open to the outside? interesting.
Nope, they don't. Perhaps portholes do, but definitely not regular windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2008, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman, NC
7,192 posts, read 11,256,495 times
Reputation: 30773
Hope you enjoy your cruise. All five of ours have been on Carnival. We have yet to see any of the stuff that used to earn them the reputation as a party ship. Now it's more family oriented and still pretty activity driven.

Cruise critic is the best site out there for learning about cruising and the finer points and tips that will help you max out your cruise experience.

As far as excursions, we used ship sponsored excursions on our first cruise. Since then, I research and book my own excursions. It's much cheaper, less crowded, based on my time, and we enjoy them much more than being herded around as part of a group. Note - you need to be sure you get back to the ship on time, as the only people the ship will wait for are those on late-returning ship sponsored excursions. But don't dwell on this as a big negative. The private excursion people know they will not be in business for long if their customers miss the ship!

Have a great cruise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2008, 11:37 PM
 
Location: east coast
218 posts, read 428,732 times
Reputation: 144
Default I like Carnival

I went to Grand Cayman. I was not that impressed. Bring money. The shore excursion the ship has on Cayman was the only one that I complain and got my money back. Took us over an hour to get off the ship to the Island. Since it was a beach excursion we left all our money on the ship. They didn't tell us that we had to take a cab to the beach. It is an Island for petes sake. So when we asked we were told it's a mile down the street we walked for two hours before we got there. Then they wanted another 10 for a beach chair. So beware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
Thought I'd try to start a new thread. I'm going on a cruise for the first time , and thought I'd ask a couple of question to cruisers out there? any useful tips? It's on Carnival, I'm going with friends. I'm not sure how I will like being "trapped" on the ship-only because I am so used to just "getting up and going" when I travel.
Did anyone else have that problem? sort of a semi-claustrophobia? any motion sickness issues? any port city tips? (Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios)
thanks!


[+] Rate this post positively
[RIGHT][/RIGHT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,849 posts, read 6,783,888 times
Reputation: 1651
Hey- "pfw"-thank you for the tips, that really helps me out to know about having some cash available. I have been out of the country before so I am sure to call my bank and CC company before I leave.
Good info about the food, I'll remember that. I decided against the spa. and I'll keep in mind about the gift shops being cheaper toward the end!
thanks again!



Quote:
Originally Posted by pfw View Post
You've received tons of great advice but I'll add a bit more...

Bring an electrical power strip, you will find the rooms are severely lacking in available plugs.
Have cash, even though everything will be charged to your sign and sail card. It will be much easier to deal with cash in the foreign ports and you'll need the money for any additional tipping at the end of the cruise. If you decide to only use a credit card in the foreign ports make sure your credit card company is aware of the fact that you will be out of the country. Otherwise they might decline the charges.
Your cell phone will most likely work on the ship and in other countries but it will cost you precious pennies. As soon as you get to the ship, turn the thing off and don't think about it again until you get back to the US.
Spa services will be cheaper on port days because everyone goes on excursions. If you want to do a spa service keep that in mind. The goods in the jewelry store and other gift shops will get cheaper at the end of the cruise.
In the dining room at dinner, you can order multiple dishes. If you want a steak but also want to try the shrimp order both. It's allowed, it's acceptable, and it's expected that it will happen. On our last cruise our waitress would automatically bring us the dishes that were on the menu that we hadn't ordered just so we could try them.

Take the advice and go check out cruise critic. I love that website, it's my way to cruise when I can't be on a cruise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,849 posts, read 6,783,888 times
Reputation: 1651
oh this is a good one "Pandora", I just got an excursion for GC, it's the island tour. I hope that ones okay? and I"m on a lower deck, does that make a difference with how long it takes to get off the ship?
I'm not really a sunbather, so I didn't pick any real lay out on the beach type excursions.
Where can I get money for GC? I would rather use cash there, can I get GC money on the ship? is it cheaper to exchange money in town?



Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorasbox View Post
I went to Grand Cayman. I was not that impressed. Bring money. The shore excursion the ship has on Cayman was the only one that I complain and got my money back. Took us over an hour to get off the ship to the Island. Since it was a beach excursion we left all our money on the ship. They didn't tell us that we had to take a cab to the beach. It is an Island for petes sake. So when we asked we were told it's a mile down the street we walked for two hours before we got there. Then they wanted another 10 for a beach chair. So beware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top