Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 01:23 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,693,361 times

Advertisements

Hey!
I have tried to post a thread in cruise critic, but it must be down, or I'm not doing it right because it won't let me post a question, so forgive me but I'd like to ask them here again!

1) Is a swimsuit cover-up appropriate for walking around the ship, getting a drink, grabbing a quick bite, etc (not dining room or shops, etc), or do I need to wear shorts as well? It is long enough to cover my booty but it looks like a really short dress or really long top, so should I wear bottoms with it to walk around?

2) Even though I'm going with friends (2 married couples) I am single, will I be able to meet other singles? Are there usually any normal, straight, single men that go on cruises by themselves?? (Or even a group of normal, straight, single guys?) I just don't want to be the only single, straight, female on board!! (and by "normal", I mean not weird!)

3) As for luggage, I understand you leave it out the night before, but when and where do you pick it up? Is there a baggage claim somewhere outside the ship? and how long does it usually take to claim your bag after disembarking?

Thanks again and sorry if these are repeat questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 02:00 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
#1- Yes you can wear your swim suit most anywhere on the ship. There are a few exceptions. Rules and/or guidance instructions are posted in your room for what is appropriate and where it is allowed or not allowed. Generally it's not allowed at dining. Your info booklet contains tons of info about the ship, what to do or not to do and all the appropriate dress codes for the various activities.

#2- There generally will be singles men and women on the ship. The ship even arranges for singles to mingle with and dance in many of the cocktail rooms. You can inquire at the pursers office when you board about singles.

#3- Baggage will be tagged as you set it out the evening before departure. You will be given tags with receipts. The next day you will be directed to where your baggage is located and pick it up there. Then you'll load it on the bus to the airport, and go from there. There are always people to help you locate your baggage if need be.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:48 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Nitram is correct. You will, however, be able to dine in the buffet and snack areas while wearing a coverup. Usually this dining room (I'm sure it has a name, but I don't remember it) is near the pool area. I have only been on one cruise and it was a small ship. Others may have more than one buffet area. Anyway, this is where you can get regular meals, just buffet style, plus hamburgers, hot dogs, ice cream, etc.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:24 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
As long as you have a cover-up of some sort, you'll be fine in most places on the ship. If you aren't returning to the pool, changing is what most folks do! Don't walk around in just your suit, except at the pool!
In the buffet, they don't actually want to be able to see your suit--if you have shorts as a cover-up, they'll want you to wear a shirt, too.
In the dining room, shorts are fine for breakfast and lunch--give it a try--much better than the buffets!

Old 10-29-2008, 06:20 AM

Thank you "nitram"-appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
#1- Yes you can wear your swim suit most anywhere on the ship. There are a few exceptions. Rules and/or guidance instructions are posted in your room for what is appropriate and where it is allowed or not allowed. Generally it's not allowed at dining. Your info booklet contains tons of info about the ship, what to do or not to do and all the appropriate dress codes for the various activities.

#2- There generally will be singles men and women on the ship. The ship even arranges for singles to mingle with and dance in many of the cocktail rooms. You can inquire at the pursers office when you board about singles.

#3- Baggage will be tagged as you set it out the evening before departure. You will be given tags with receipts. The next day you will be directed to where your baggage is located and pick it up there. Then you'll load it on the bus to the airport, and go from there. There are always people to help you locate your baggage if need be.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:23 AM

thank you! "cb"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
As long as you have a cover-up of some sort, you'll be fine in most places on the ship. If you aren't returning to the pool, changing is what most folks do! Don't walk around in just your suit, except at the pool!
In the buffet, they don't actually want to be able to see your suit--if you have shorts as a cover-up, they'll want you to wear a shirt, too.
In the dining room, shorts are fine for breakfast and lunch--give it a try--much better than the buffets!

Old 10-29-2008, 06:37 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Don't know which warm-weather cruise you're going on but as a general caveat do also be aware of local customs where dress is concerned, particularly in the Caribbean islands Beaches are fine for bathies everywhere but on many Caribbean islands it's considered very disrespectful when visitors walk around shopping areas and on main roads off the beach wearing just bathies and no cover-ups. That goes for the guys too - wear a tee or some sort of a top. Most of the cruise lines do point that out but it's often ignored, "When in Rome..."

As far as singles, many cruise lines do promote intermingling of singles through special events but when I was a single cruiser I had the best time simply meeting people whether they were single or not. The best relationships I forged (some brief but some which went on for several years) were with very interesting older couples whose company was stellar! Enjoy your cruise!

Old 10-29-2008, 08:31 AM

Thanks "stt"-I'm looking forward to it! I usually don't have a problem meeting all kinds of people, just didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb that I was alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Don't know which warm-weather cruise you're going on but as a general caveat do also be aware of local customs where dress is concerned, particularly in the Caribbean islands Beaches are fine for bathies everywhere but on many Caribbean islands it's considered very disrespectful when visitors walk around shopping areas and on main roads off the beach wearing just bathies and no cover-ups. That goes for the guys too - wear a tee or some sort of a top. Most of the cruise lines do point that out but it's often ignored, "When in Rome..."

As far as singles, many cruise lines do promote intermingling of singles through special events but when I was a single cruiser I had the best time simply meeting people whether they were single or not. The best relationships I forged (some brief but some which went on for several years) were with very interesting older couples whose company was stellar! Enjoy your cruise!

Old 11-08-2008, 01:26 PM

699 posts, read 2,895,483 times
Hi sportsfangal!

Do hope you enjoy your first cruise. We just returned from ours with eight days of pampering, we're finding the lack service at home a bit hard to get used to. Anyway, to answer your questions:

1. Cover up is fine on pool deck and even at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. Most require slacks for restaurants and depending on length of the cruise, there will be 1 or 2 formal nights.

2. Our ship had plenty of opportunities for singles to mingle. Make sure you read the daily activities bulletin which arrives in your cabin the night before.

3. We placed our luggage, outside our cabin the night before disembarkment. We had a numbered label on it. All the numbers were together at the pier. We found ours immediatley, got in a cab and were off to the airport within 15 minutes.

Upon return, we parked our car in a nearby lot before we left. It was the first time we did not use the long term parking at the airport. Service was fantastic. A van was waiting for us as soon as we got our luggage and they dropped us off right at our car. It was pouring both when we left and upon return so this service was really great. Also saved us $30 on parking too. I highly recommend this service when traveling especially with the amount of luggage you bring on a cruise.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:12 AM

Thank you for the tips PA, I don't plan to bring lots of luggage, just a carry on and small suitcase.
I won't be driving to the airport, so at least I don't have to worry about that. I am so ready for this cruise! I'm getting nervous/excited!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
Hi sportsfangal!

Do hope you enjoy your first cruise. We just returned from ours with eight days of pampering, we're finding the lack service at home a bit hard to get used to. Anyway, to answer your questions:

1. Cover up is fine on pool deck and even at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. Most require slacks for restaurants and depending on length of the cruise, there will be 1 or 2 formal nights.

2. Our ship had plenty of opportunities for singles to mingle. Make sure you read the daily activities bulletin which arrives in your cabin the night before.

3. We placed our luggage, outside our cabin the night before disembarkment. We had a numbered label on it. All the numbers were together at the pier. We found ours immediatley, got in a cab and were off to the airport within 15 minutes.

Upon return, we parked our car in a nearby lot before we left. It was the first time we did not use the long term parking at the airport. Service was fantastic. A van was waiting for us as soon as we got our luggage and they dropped us off right at our car. It was pouring both when we left and upon return so this service was really great. Also saved us $30 on parking too. I highly recommend this service when traveling especially with the amount of luggage you bring on a cruise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises