U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 11:14 AM

33 posts, read 110,059 times

Advertisements

I am constantly getting advertisements from cruiseline and other travel brokers selling cruises that have unbelievable prices. Trouble is the prices do not include taxes, booking fees, fuel surcharges and mandatory tips. In no where in the advertisement do they indicate that the price is before the fuel surcharge. You have to go all the way through the booking before you can figure out what the real charge is.

If I book an airline ticket the price that is advertised includes the fuel surcharge. Cruises should be the same.

(I told a friend about my gripe and he said the prices for cruises were still very low. I told him that was not my point. The real price should be advertised)

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 01:11 PM

1,041 posts, read 2,841,545 times
If you book an airline ticket, you also don't see the entire price until after you book all the way through. The advertised price is the price without any additional taxes. It's all misleading, but it is what it is.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:40 PM

39,547 posts, read 47,744,756 times
The cruise lines automatically bill you at the end of the cruise for tipping, but you are not required to pay it. You need to go to the purser's desk at the end of the cruise and simply have them remove it or adjust it to what you may feel is worthwhile.
Other charges vary from cruise line to cruise line and in different ports in different country's. You may also be required to get a visa for some country's. In Brasil for example youhave to have a visa if you sail there. They charge about $150.00 for a visa.
Generally the Cruise lines advertisements are for the basic cruise. You need to check with the travel agent or cruise line itself for all the extra charges for that particular cruise. There is also travel insurance you can purchase that can be added on.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:57 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,047,650 times
Welcome to the industry at cruising. There is no free lunch!

Old 11-26-2008, 09:33 PM

7,186 posts, read 11,231,296 times
Hotels usually don't advertise local tax, occupancy tax, etc in their rates. It's all relative.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:55 AM

5,188 posts, read 13,360,362 times
Not all lines automatically add on tips--but you are expected to tip certain employees---1st timers don't always realize that. Everyone should get the cruise brochure from the line they are considering and read it--it will detail all expenses that you may incur.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:07 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,172,097 times
Just go directly to the cruiseline's website, rather than a travel agency. Everything will be explained as far as ticket cost, all-inclusive, tipping, itinerary, excursions, etc.

Also, b/f you book a cruise, you need to do some homework. There are specials available depending on such things as state where you live; senior discounts; military discounts; professional discounts; group discounts . . .

To get the biggest bang for your buck, don't rely on a travel agent's info alone. Go to many sources, compare prices . . . check out info from other cruisers on websites such as CD!!!!

There is lots of info out there . . . no reason to ever book a ticket w/o being fully aware of the bottom line - ahead of time.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:59 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,466,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_critic View Post
I am constantly getting advertisements from cruiseline and other travel brokers selling cruises that have unbelievable prices. Trouble is the prices do not include taxes, booking fees, fuel surcharges and mandatory tips. In no where in the advertisement do they indicate that the price is before the fuel surcharge. You have to go all the way through the booking before you can figure out what the real charge is.

If I book an airline ticket the price that is advertised includes the fuel surcharge. Cruises should be the same.

(I told a friend about my gripe and he said the prices for cruises were still very low. I told him that was not my point. The real price should be advertised)

Your thoughts?
Alot of Agencies don't include the entire bill. I do, because I feel its dishonest not to. Tipping can be told but not added as that is payed on the ship. while the others are paid to the cruiseline before you cruise. Also your Credit Card that is charged should always have the name of the Cruise Line on it, it should never be charged to the agencys account. If you see that it is, then Question it.

Diane G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or