U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 11:37 PM

334 posts, read 947,275 times

Advertisements

I'm being, well, pressured is a suitable word, by my wife to take a cruise for next year's vacation-in lieu of our "standard" road trip vacation where we fly somewhere, rent a car and make a big loop hitting the "must-sees" around several states.

Now, I'm not the "lay on the beach", nor "lounge in a deck chair with a good book" kind of guy. But, my wife has been a good sport, allowing me to plot road trip vacations for several years, so I feel I must relent and give her the reins for at least one vacation. Oh, one other thing-I happen to be a City Planner, and I don't like leaving anything to chance. So "itinerary" is kind of important to me. That explains this posting in December when we usually vacation in September. So, I can't help it-guess I took the Boy Scout creed to heart...

OK, so I'm trying to find a trip that would interest me. It occured to me that a trip thru the Panama Canal would be fascinating-particularly for a geographile (if that's even a word-if not it should be) like me. I see there are some that originate on one coast and end up on the other after 8 or 9 days; Los Angeles/6 or 7 tropical ports/Miami for example. That sounds so much better than a round trip "shuffleboard and karaoke" boat ride that I have nightmares about.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who's taken one of those cruises. I'd like to know which cruise lines are best, which to avoid, what time of year you went, how long your trip was, etc. Thanks in advance for the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 01:11 AM

3,871 posts, read 15,512,042 times
Since this is your wife's turn to choose, where does SHE want to go??? You wrote a lot about you and almost nothing about her. Where does SHE want to go? What does SHE want to see? What does SHE want to do?

The first place she'll want to stop is CruiseCritic.com -- the big store of knowledge about cruises.

Have you ever taken a cruise? If not, you have some idea-adjusting in store...

Since you two are considering the Panama Canal, that's hot, humid climate. Which leads me to the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico, as a likely spectacular adventure, if the two can be combined which I know they can.

Planning, anticipating, feeling enthusiastic -- these are half the fun. Whether they're "work" or "fun" depends on how much you choose to feel happy, right? I wish your wife joy, and I wish you joy!

Old 12-07-2008, 11:43 PM

334 posts, read 947,275 times
Default What SHE wants...

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Since this is your wife's turn to choose, where does SHE want to go??? You wrote a lot about you and almost nothing about her. Where does SHE want to go? What does SHE want to see? What does SHE want to do?

The first place she'll want to stop is CruiseCritic.com -- the big store of knowledge about cruises.

Have you ever taken a cruise? If not, you have some idea-adjusting in store...

Since you two are considering the Panama Canal, that's hot, humid climate. Which leads me to the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico, as a likely spectacular adventure, if the two can be combined which I know they can.

Planning, anticipating, feeling enthusiastic -- these are half the fun. Whether they're "work" or "fun" depends on how much you choose to feel happy, right? I wish your wife joy, and I wish you joy!
Wow, suggestions and what, is that a scolding too? Terrific...

Perhaps you missed the crux of my question, not to mention the "tongue-in-cheek" spirit.

My wife has been on several cruises with friends or relatives and loves them. I have not yet taken a cruise, with her or without. I really just haven't been interested for a number of reasons. So, considering a cruise vacation is a huge step for me.

To respond to your questions: What SHE wants to do is take a cruise vacation. Where SHE wants to go is someplace tropical. What SHE wants to see is turquoise water, boat drinks and palm trees. SHE is exstatic that I've agreed to a cruise and doesn't care where we go, so long as it's warm. Beyond that, SHE'S perfectly content leaving me to work out the details (see "itinerary" above).

So, you see, I'm not shopping for a cruise to satisfy her-since most of them (except Alaska) will. I'm in a fact-finding mode at this point-looking for information about a specific cruise to see whether I'D be interested in it. Sorry if that somehow seemed selfish to you.

Also, I don't need advice regarding the excitement of vacation planning. I typically spend months working out flights, routes, events and points of interest. Thought I made that clear in my post.

Now, if I've somehow misinterpreted your inference of selfishness-my apologies. I will look at the website you suggested. Thank you for that.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:30 AM

3,871 posts, read 15,512,042 times
Fabulous! You've got everything in the world going for you! You're going to have so much fun researching and planning this!

I'm thinking of the color of the water... and all those palm trees. An alternative to the Panama Canal and the Yucatan Peninsula could be all sorts of Caribbean destinations or stop-offs.

As your wife has taken some cruises, perhaps she has different goals from yours when onboard. In any case, on all the major lines such as Celebrity, Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, etc. there can be libraries on board, lots of top-of-the-line gym equipment, long conversations with staff naturalists specializing in the area you're going to, a lineup of half-day seminars on various subjects, and increasing numbers of computer terminals with internet access. I walk but not x number of miles per day, but on my cruises I've noticed many people who walk briskly and deliberately around the deck each day to clock off their daily distance.

I think you'll love CruiseCritic.com. I hope you have lots of fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises