U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:24 PM

228 posts, read 885,175 times

Advertisements

BTW, Chilkoot, one of the best cruises Ive ever taken was to Alaska! I was suppose to go there again this year, but too many other things happened. I hope to cruise there again, and hopefully add a cruise tour on! The excursions and beauty of Alaska are just awesome. Helicopter/glacier trek, one of the best excursions Ive EVER taken! And, Im not a cold weather person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:54 PM

21,323 posts, read 21,900,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
First, Carnival and NCL are not budget lines. They are all Mainstream lines that you mentioned. NCl actually was some really upscale suites you won't find on all lines. Holland is in that bracket, but is a bit more upscale, and yes I have sailed all of them.
The Average age on Carnival is 45, so wrong again. Royal Carribbean has about the same average age.
Diane G
O contraire, monfrier
I stand by what I posted, the quality and value one perceives from a cruise line is highly subjective but when the OP take's a bit of time to check out the resources that are out there she will see for herself and can make a choice based on her priorities.

However, as far as average age, my post is accurate and there are many web-sites that will confirm that. This is one such site, tho there are plenty of others:

http://cruises.affordabletours.com/Info/FAQs.html

What is the average age of passengers by cruise line?
Passenger ages vary somewhat by sailing, but usually they are as follows:
Carnival Cruise Line: 0 - 45 years of age
Royal Caribbean Cruise Line: 25 - 55 years of age
Crystal Cruise Line: 55+ years of age
Celebrity Cruise Line: 35 - 64 years of age
Norwegian Cruise Line: 27 - 56 years of age
Holland America Cruises: 30 - 60 years of age
Princess Cruise Line: 35 to 65 years of age

and, regarding Carnival's status as a budget line. This is from Carnival's own website (boldface are mine):

Carnival Cruise Lines - Awards

America Online (AOL) “Cruise Critic”
Carnival was rated number one in seven categories by AOL’s “Cruise Critic” in the “Best in Cruising 1999” awards, including Best Value: Budget Category; Best Budget Ship: Imagination, Inspiration, Elation, Sensation and Fascination; Best Cabins: Budget Category; Best Cuisine: Budget Category; Best Service: Budget Category; Best Bar: Carnival’s piano bars; and Best Cruise Director: John Heald.

I would maintain that Carnival is a budget cruise line.

Do you by chance have any incentive in regards to commissions from any of the cruise lines? If so, I would suggest that you may have left your impartiality at the door.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:53 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,467,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatSayYou View Post
IF you're going to object a very insightful post while repeatedly stating you've been on these lines, at least try to make some sense yourself?

Holland is in that bracket ...a "bit" more upscale (than NCL?)

As other posters have mentioned, can't beat CruiseCritic.
There's also Cruisemates.com.

NCL is a fun, very informal cruise where you can wear your most comfortable jeans and is, yes, considered a budget line. Look at the GREAT Hawai'i rates, for starters... And If you sail Carnival's older ships, you are also talking Budget.
I was saying that Holland America is in the Mainstream Cruise Bracket, but I feel the experience on it, is a bit more upscale.
You can't wear Jeans to dinner on NCL in main dining rooms, you can now on Carnival. NCL is not considered a budget line. I suggest you buy a copy of Berlitz Cruising. It tells how the lines are placed.
I post on Cruise Critic, and have some hosts as customers. I also know Kuki very well from CM., yes his real name, and address also.
I am personally booked on NCL right now, and the price surely was not budget. Last year I cruised in the Med on NCL and had a Penthouse Suite, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a Butler. Budget lines don't have butlers on their ships.

Diane G

Old 04-01-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotLib View Post
BTW, Chilkoot, one of the best cruises Ive ever taken was to Alaska! I was suppose to go there again this year, but too many other things happened. I hope to cruise there again, and hopefully add a cruise tour on! The excursions and beauty of Alaska are just awesome. Helicopter/glacier trek, one of the best excursions Ive EVER taken! And, Im not a cold weather person.
I'm on an Alaskan cruise next month, Can't wait

Diane G

Old 04-01-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
O contraire, monfrier
I stand by what I posted, the quality and value one perceives from a cruise line is highly subjective but when the OP take's a bit of time to check out the resources that are out there she will see for herself and can make a choice based on her priorities.

However, as far as average age, my post is accurate and there are many web-sites that will confirm that. This is one such site, tho there are plenty of others:

http://cruises.affordabletours.com/Info/FAQs.html

What is the average age of passengers by cruise line?
Passenger ages vary somewhat by sailing, but usually they are as follows:
Carnival Cruise Line: 0 - 45 years of age
Royal Caribbean Cruise Line: 25 - 55 years of age
Crystal Cruise Line: 55+ years of age
Celebrity Cruise Line: 35 - 64 years of age
Norwegian Cruise Line: 27 - 56 years of age
Holland America Cruises: 30 - 60 years of age
Princess Cruise Line: 35 to 65 years of age

and, regarding Carnival's status as a budget line. This is from Carnival's own website (boldface are mine):

Carnival Cruise Lines - Awards

America Online (AOL) “Cruise Critic”
Carnival was rated number one in seven categories by AOL’s “Cruise Critic” in the “Best in Cruising 1999” awards, including Best Value: Budget Category; Best Budget Ship: Imagination, Inspiration, Elation, Sensation and Fascination; Best Cabins: Budget Category; Best Cuisine: Budget Category; Best Service: Budget Category; Best Bar: Carnival’s piano bars; and Best Cruise Director: John Heald.

I would maintain that Carnival is a budget cruise line.

Do you by chance have any incentive in regards to commissions from any of the cruise lines? If so, I would suggest that you may have left your impartiality at the door.
You are not reading that right. All the ships that received those awards are cheap because they are older ships , that do mostly short cruises. They are a good Value. Value does not mean Budget.
Did you know Carnival owns Holland, Cunard, Princess, Windstar, Costa, and Seaborn?
From their Website----Carnival Cruise Lines has earned “best value” honors from the World Cruise & Ocean Liner Society, comprised of thousands of knowledgeable and experienced cruise enthusiasts.

As far as Commissions, I get the same from Carnival, Celebrity, RCCL,. I get less, but 1% less from NCL and Holland. So again your wrong. All are about the same as far as that goes. I don't push a customer either way. If they are looking for the best price, I would choose who has the best price for that sailing date. Prices vary from date to date, and ports of departure.

Are you a Royal Champion? Maybe that is why your attacking me. You know they get cheerleader perks like free cruises.

Diane G

Old 04-01-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModChic View Post
I'm thinking about going on my first cruise, any pointers or suggestions as to which company to look into?
What are your likes and dislikes? D you like more formal, or more casual. Do you like eating at an assigned time? All lines do this differently.
Are you traveling with Children? All this would make a difference and what line I would Suggest.
How many Days do you want?

Diane G

Old 04-01-2009, 10:58 PM

21,323 posts, read 21,900,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
NCL is not considered a budget line. I suggest you buy a copy of Berlitz Cruising. It tells how the lines are placed.

Diane G
Wrong again, not that there's anything wrong with budget, but calling it something else doesn't change what it is. NCL has consistently rank as one of the lower of the large cruise ship lines by Conde Nast Traveler readers. I would maintain if NCL is not a budget line, the passengers are not getting much value for their dollar.

accdoring to Conde Nast Traveler via...70 Best Cruise Ships|Cruise Ship Ratings|Cruise Reviews|Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Rankings

2008 Rankings/Cruise Line/Score

1. Crystal Cruises 90.67

2. Regent Seven Seas Cruises 88.71

3. Disney Cruise Line 82.50

4. Oceana Cruises 81.32

5. Cunard Line 80.07

6. Celebrity Cruises 78.37

7. Holland America 77.92

8. Princess Cruises 75.80

9. Royal Caribbean 73.09

10. Norwegian Cruise Line 68.26

Carnival didnít even make the top 10 and NCL wasnít in the top 10 last year.

Also, people should know what NCL did to the SS France/Norway was disgusting and they are attempting to do the same thing to the SS United States, "America's Flagship" and still holder of the fastest Trans-Atlantic crossing on her maiden voyage.

from your cruise forum...

SS France/Norway
Norway/France sold for scrap - Cruise Critic Message Boards

YouTube - Save the SS Norway

SS United States
SS United States - Cruise Critic Message Boards

Old 04-01-2009, 11:49 PM

4,270 posts, read 13,973,174 times
There's been plenty of posts about this topic so you may want to do a search.

I've been on 3 cruises in 3 very different scenarios so here's my input:

1. Royal Caribbean, 7 days, Western Mediterranean

Europe is pretty intense. There's so much to do and see that I think cruising just didn't do it justice. We started in Spain and headed to France and Italy. The cruise was perfect for us, however, because I went with my Mom and we got to see the highlights, which is what she wanted to do. The excursions (land trips - you pay extra ... A LOT EXTRA) were long but Rome and Pisa isn't exactly right next to the coast so we'd leave at 6am and wouldn't be back until 4pm. In the future, I wouldn't do Europe again on a cruise but it was definitely a nice "starter" since that was the first time I'd ever been to Europe.

2. Carnival, 4 days, Catalina Island and Ensenada Mexico

This trip was with my Mom, too. Girls weekend and all we did was vege out. Carnival is a laid back atmosphere and I think if you want something that's just "fun", you'd like Carnival. Then again, it might have all been mental. We went set on just chillin' and that's what we got!

3. Princess, 7 days, Alaska - Southbound

I think this was the most fun. I don't think we would have ever gone to Alaska otherwise so the cruise was definitely a wonderful experience. Alaska was also our first experience cruising. I think Princess probably had the best food but it might have been because I love seafood and well, we were in Alaska! It's more older people on the trip but I also think attitude is everything.

All in all, I'd say all three cruiselines met my expectations. There were positives and negatives in all three of them but with any experience, you live, you learn. We received great service on all three liners; enjoyed each trip immensely; and, would recommend all of them.

I've been the the cruisemates website and thought it was quite helpful. You'll get a really good variety of repsonses and experiences. If you are weary of your first time - seasickness, enjoyability, etc. my suggestion to you is maybe do one of those 4-day ones. They can run less then a couple hunder dollars! Do you research though about the cruise experience such as paying daily gratuities, dining formally, etiquette and such. I've never had a bad experience and the staff is usually very helpful but it's always good to be armed with a little knowledge.

HAVE FUN!!

Old 04-02-2009, 05:34 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,040,910 times
I would suggest that you ask around for a reputable travel agent, and ask for THEIR suggestions. As you can see, the options are almost limitless. A good agent will want to know your budget, interests, level of formality, and other things so that they can narrow down your choices. Once you have a few options, then go to the cruise line's website and see what they say about the boat, tours etc. Then check out cruise critic and other places suggested here and make your final decision. Whether or not you book through the travel agent is up to you, but here are a few reasons why you should: may save money in the long run, since they sometimes buy a block of rooms, and get discounted group rates. Also can put together air-cruise packages cheaper. If something goes awry, your travel agent can work for you to resolve the situation so you don't deal with it. Fewer hassles for you. They also sometimes include surprises like tote bags, chocolates, etc.
A few tips: check out the pre-cruise and post-cruise excursion options if you are leaving from a city you don't normally visit. Extending your trip by a day to explore the port city can be fun. Also, check time of year carefully. Remember the cheapest Caribbean cruises are during hurricane season, which can affect your plans drastically at the last minute. We have been on 2 of these and lucked out. Other people who went 2 weeks later weren't so fortunate. Unless you really can't afford it or have motion sickness problems, I suggest a room with a window. The rooms are small and it can make them feel more spacious. Also, I love waking up and looking out at a beautiful view of palm trees, sand and boats! I also enjoy watching the water from inside (no wind, quiet,) and looking for flying fish and other sea-critters.
Do your research, ask for professional help and enjoy your trip! Get out away from the chain restaurants and port shopping and experience another culture! Do something adventurous! Try local food!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Wrong again, not that there's anything wrong with budget, but calling it something else doesn't change what it is. NCL has consistently rank as one of the lower of the large cruise ship lines by Conde Nast Traveler readers. I would maintain if NCL is not a budget line, the passengers are not getting much value for their dollar.

accdoring to Conde Nast Traveler via...70 Best Cruise Ships|Cruise Ship Ratings|Cruise Reviews|Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Rankings

2008 Rankings/Cruise Line/Score

1. Crystal Cruises 90.67

2. Regent Seven Seas Cruises 88.71

3. Disney Cruise Line 82.50

4. Oceana Cruises 81.32

5. Cunard Line 80.07

6. Celebrity Cruises 78.37

7. Holland America 77.92

8. Princess Cruises 75.80

9. Royal Caribbean 73.09

10. Norwegian Cruise Line 68.26

Carnival didnít even make the top 10 and NCL wasnít in the top 10 last year.

Also, people should know what NCL did to the SS France/Norway was disgusting and they are attempting to do the same thing to the SS United States, "America's Flagship" and still holder of the fastest Trans-Atlantic crossing on her maiden voyage.

from your cruise forum...

SS France/Norway
Norway/France sold for scrap - Cruise Critic Message Boards

YouTube - Save the SS Norway

SS United States
SS United States - Cruise Critic Message Boards
Conte Nest has always been an opinionated source of informtion. Some of those Cruise lines mentioned are not even Mid Stream ones, they are the upscale ones.By the way, Carnival Corp owns 3 that are mentioned. You can't compare a line as Crystal, Regent,and Cunard to the Mid steam ones as they are upscale, and their prices show it.NCL is midsteam, as is Carnival.
Again I ask, Are you a Royal Champion? They are paid free cruises by pushing their line on Message Boards.
ncl America, is a different product than NCL.

Diane G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises