U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:06 AM

814 posts, read 3,979,229 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are planning to take a cruise in August/September and wondering if you had any experience taking a cruise? We are in late 20's (I heard cruise is for old people).

Also, we don't drink. My husband is concerned that we will be stuck on a cruise when we should be walking in nature and exploring. We also don't DRINK.

Please share your experiences!

Last edited by houstoner; 05-14-2009 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: Thread moved from Houston forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 08:12 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,227,631 times
I highly recommend Cruise Critic. I've been on 3 cruises, and that message board was critical for my choices. It's a little overwhelming at first, but find the forums, then find the ships in which you have an interest, and you'll find lots of people who have posted about their experiences. It's okay if you don't drink--that's not a big deal, and as far as being "stuck" on a cruise? There's no such thing.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:22 AM

Thanks Moms2Feebs!

I just registered on that website! I looking for a cruise from Houston to Caribbean!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:26 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,185,897 times
Being a non-drinker, you will save $$$ because they charge for alcoholic drinks on the ship! Cruise ships are like small cities today. There is so much to do while on the ship, then at the port calls you are free to get off the boat and explore. I don't think you will be disappointed in any way.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:49 AM

Thanks TexasGirl@Heart!

I was looking for cruises from Galveston port to Caribbean but I it seems that there are no cruises from Galveston to Caribbean. The other option is to get the cruise from Florida since Florida to Caribbean is possible.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:58 AM

551 posts, read 2,477,923 times
You might even consider yourself lucky that you don't drink alcohol, since that tends to be one of the larger charges associated with a cruise (other than the cruise itself). Almost all food is usually included, but keep in mind that many cruise lines also charge for soft drinks now. However, you can usually buy a package deal for around $40 for your trip that includes unlimited refills.

There are usually many different things to do on a cruise ship, so I doubt you will get bored. Also, you can get off the ship at each port of call and either do an excursion ($$$) or just walk around for free.

I don't think there are any cruise lines that come to the Houston area anymore, so you will most likely have to go to Florida. Tampa & Ft. Lauderdale/Miami are the most common cruise ship ports. **Correction, looks like there are still a few Carnival & Royal Caribbean ships coming to Galveston!

Also, one thing to worry about the Caribbean in August/September is the possibility of hurricanes!

Last edited by Master Shake; 05-14-2009 at 10:21 AM..

Old 05-14-2009, 11:07 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,904,405 times
You are going to have a blast! No problem with the no drinking...You can make the cruise everything you want it to be. If you just want to sit by the pool and read...fine...or if you want to take part in all the activities they have planned, you can do that too. I have been probably on 20+ cruises and never regretted a one. There is no specific age...unless you sign up for a cruise for that particular age group. LOL...a side note....during college, my husband worked on cruise ships as a activities director...tough job if you can take it!
PS...bring some dramamine or something similar just in case for rough seas. Sea sickness is the absolute worst!
Also best, if you can get an outside room mid ship....

Old 05-14-2009, 01:17 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,444,433 times
my wife and I went on our first cruise (eastern carribean) on princess lines this summer and had a great time

we have no kids (one on the way so no drinking for DW) and are pretty much 30

we were always hesitant on a cruise - but found a great deal on cruisecompete ..... also cruise critic is an amazing resource

we had a blast - you can craft your own thing to do pretty much the whole time

if port time is important look for ones where you get a good amount of time in port - while in port you are in control of your destiny ...... we weren't big into shopping and surprisingly enough were able to break from a cattle type feeling

the advantages are that you pack and unpack once - you are pretty much waited on constantly - turn down service 2x a day - a wide variety of entertainment on ship - sun decks, pools, etc ..... wide variety of food as well

also with the sheer # of passengers on board you will find people in your demographic ...... we felt more comfortable amongst the middle aged people than with the younger crowd - i think in part because we weren't looking to sit poolside all day and party

the downside is that while everything on the ship is immaculate, it's not exactly unique ...... the food, activities, etc are all representative of the culture that you are from as opposed to the culture you are visiting

i'd do it again though

Old 05-14-2009, 01:44 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,227,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
Thanks TexasGirl@Heart!

I was looking for cruises from Galveston port to Caribbean but I it seems that there are no cruises from Galveston to Caribbean. The other option is to get the cruise from Florida since Florida to Caribbean is possible.
There are some that go to Jamaica and Cayman--would that work? Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas and Carnival Conquest both do that.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:24 PM

1,123 posts, read 4,807,857 times
When you start looking at ships, please look carefully at their ratings - not just price. I have been on 7 or 8 cruises and love them. (We haven't been cruising in the last 4 years though - been doing Road Trips!)

You may want to consider a shorter cruise - 4 or 5 nites - if you have any doubts. We really enjoyed Majesty of the Seas for our quick getaway and I understand the ship has been thru a major renovation. Also, the ports on those short cruises are great for first timers. You will have a better selection of cruises out of Florida too.

I also suggest you go in September, the rates go down even more once the kids are back in school. It is nicer on the ship too without it being overrun by little ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises