Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 06:48 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,533,872 times

Advertisements

We found the cruise we are interested in and even found the flights we can take for prices we like. My questions are:

1. Would it be beneficial to book with a travel agent to assure that we are put on a non-smoking deck?
2. Would booking with an agent get us a better suite vs just a "suite?" There are a variety if suites available.
3. Are there embarking and disembarking advantages to booking a suite? We heard you don't have to wait in long lines and get processed faster.
4. We want to know if there are adult only pools available on the ship we are taking. I have Googled this and haven't had much luck.
5. Will there be a significant price difference booking through an agent vs online?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 08:37 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
We have only been on one cruise and felt that it would be better to go through a travel agent. However, we met a couple on the cruise who used Vacations to go.com and they got a better suite, onboard credits, and complimentary champagne for less than we paid. If you go to a travel agent, bring this up and see what they can offer. That's what I will do if there is a next time.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:59 AM

228 posts, read 1,000,824 times
I book 90% of my cruises from an online site. (thats twice a year cruising)I go to their site and find my cruise, and then I call the 800 number,then give my guys extension. If you dont have a person there, they will hand you over to someone. I use Vacationstogo, as Ive never found anyone who can beat their prices. Ive never had a problem with them, as they are very reputable.

Also, the best place to find any questions you might have about any ship,port, or any other question is cruisecritic dot com. You can meet others that are on your same cruise, and if you want, you can meet up onboard. Some lines host a meet and mingle party for their CC members. If your cruise is far enough out, it is a lot of fun planning and talking about your cruise with other people. Ive never found a better place to find out info. Some travel agents have never been to the places you are going.

And yes, you do get more perks including boarding if you book a suite.I am usually the first person to the terminal, and usually the lines arent too bad. And, that ads to the excitement for me! They will tell you not to come before 1-2, but I always show up no later than 11am. You cant go to your cabin, but you can wander around, and eat lunch.

Last edited by DotLib; 07-01-2009 at 06:14 AM..

Old 07-01-2009, 06:10 AM

I forgot to mention that a person can smoke in their cabin on most cruise lines, but they do have restrictions on where they can smoke on the rest of the ship. Ive only been on one cruise that I could not use my balcony because the person next door smoked all the time on their balcony and it filtered over to mine. I love to keep my door open at night to hear the sound of the waves, and I wasnt able to on that sailing..

Old 07-01-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotLib View Post
I forgot to mention that a person can smoke in their cabin on most cruise lines, but they do have restrictions on where they can smoke on the rest of the ship. Ive only been on one cruise that I could not use my balcony because the person next door smoked all the time on their balcony and it filtered over to mine. I love to keep my door open at night to hear the sound of the waves, and I wasnt able to on that sailing..
Urg! Seriously...that would so upset us too! I was disappointed to know that you could be placed on a smoking deck as a non-smoker. I'm ultra sensitive to smoke and don't want the headache of trying to avoid my own room b/c of the smoke.

So, what I am hearing from people is that I can select a suite, but the type of suite isn't provided to us until we board??? Anyone know if the suite option is worth the extra money???

Old 07-01-2009, 07:31 AM

I cant help you with the suite questions, as I am trying not to ever book one! A balcony is just fine with me, and I dont think I could afford to cruise as often if I booked a suite, so I dont want to be disappointed ...once you go suite, you probably wont want to go to anything else. I know I could not book an inside cabin without serious regrets. I booked a promenade cabin on my cruise this past Feb, but when the prices came down, I switched over to a balcony. I had friends that stayed with theirs, but hes a very big guy, and said he felt the room was too small.

I dont spend that much time in my cabin, but I love being able to walk outside,take a look, check the weather, without having to go up deck. And, depending on where you sail, you want a balcony for your viewing pleasure. I know I could not have done Alaska without a balcony. Im very cold natured, and I loved being able to wrap up in my comforter and go out and look at the beauty as we cruised thru the glaciers. I know a lot of people that have breakfast and coffee on their balcony.

Just talking about a cruise is bringing on some heavy duty withdrawal pain! Im trying to forgo my 2nd cruise this year, and have already cancelled my next Feb cruise, for a new baby! My sons wife is expecting their first baby due in November, so Im having fun spending my cruise funds on baby "Lilly". They have been living with us the last couple of months while their new home is being finished. So, we have been very busy planning for new baby and new home. Its been fun, but they sign papers in 2-3 weeks, so Im sure I will have more time on my hands to really start missing my cruise!

As they say, a bad day on a cruise is better than the best day at work! Dot

Old 07-01-2009, 08:14 AM

809 posts, read 3,569,303 times
Quote:
I book 90% of my cruises from an online site. (thats twice a year cruising)I go to their site and find my cruise, and then I call the 800 number,then give my guys extension. If you dont have a person there, they will hand you over to someone. I use Vacationstogo, as Ive never found anyone who can beat their prices. Ive never had a problem with them, as they are very reputable.
Why talk to someone instead of just booking on-line? Do they knock more off the price or include more things? Any tips if I use them?

Old 07-01-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I cant help you with the suite questions, as I am trying not to ever book one! A balcony is just fine with me, and I dont think I could afford to cruise as often if I booked a suite, so I dont want to be disappointed ...once you go suite, you probably wont want to go to anything else. I know I could not book an inside cabin without serious regrets. I booked a promenade cabin on my cruise this past Feb, but when the prices came down, I switched over to a balcony. I had friends that stayed with theirs, but hes a very big guy, and said he felt the room was too small. As they say, a bad day on a cruise is better than the best day at work! Dot
LOL! Good point about the suite. If we didn't opt for a suite, we would only do a room with a balcony. How were you able to move rooms and select a better area? Was this done once you boarded or through the person you booked???

Old 07-01-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
Why talk to someone instead of just booking on-line? Do they knock more off the price or include more things? Any tips if I use them?
In order to actually book the cruise, you have to actually talk to them. Ive never found any other online site nor private agent that could beat their price. Some times its the same price, but never higher. Some agents give your gifts to book thru them (bottle of wine, choc covered cherries, funship coupon book, etc), but so does my guy at VTG. The site is just a great tool to find the cruise you want and see the prices. And, if your a past guest of the line, you will get a better discount, as well as being over 55, military, etc.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
LOL! Good point about the suite. If we didn't opt for a suite, we would only do a room with a balcony. How were you able to move rooms and select a better area? Was this done once you boarded or through the person you booked???

Once you have booked your cruise, you can watch for a price drop..if there is a price drop, you can upgrade your cabin or have OBC applied (on board credit).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises