U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:04 AM

6,853 posts, read 19,802,755 times

Advertisements

Many ships have hand sanitizer bottles around the ship, just use them and you will be fine. If you are worried the virus, ask your doctor for some pills before you leave. The doc wrote me a prescription which I then had filled and in the suitcase it went just incase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 08:32 AM

557 posts, read 2,321,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
If I were in your shoes, I would really want to see MY OWN doctor first, long before I leave on the cruise. My doctor knows a lot more than zero about my body, and would have a more holistic idea of what's good for me and what's not.

Also, if you do that, you can practice, by using whatever your doctor suggests a few weeks or a few months before your cruise, to make sure that you have help available in case it doesn't go well. Meds do affect different people differently.

Good suggestions, Allforcats. Patches are popular. I always used Bonine tabs. A pharmacist can recommend an over-the-counter motion sickness remedy in a non-drowsy forumula. Also, the cruise ships normally have tablets free of charge. You might have your doc check to be sure you don't have an inner ear problem causing your sensitivity to motion.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:04 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,464,816 times
I would skip the patch as I have had clients get sick with that. Bonine and Ginger are probably some of the best . With the ships so huge now, less are getting sea sickness.

Diane G

Old 08-10-2009, 05:15 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,147,440 times
Dramamine was the worst thing I could have taken. I felt more nauseaus as the afternoon went on (and then it knocked me out). I woke up out of a deep sleep, very disoriented and sluggish. I wish I would've known about an alternative treatment before hand. I tend to get seasick (i know everyone's different) but I think it's a good idea to start with a natural remedy before trying pills or a patch.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:24 PM

3,849 posts, read 6,770,307 times
I haven't had issues with sea-sickness, but when I went on my first cruise last year, I kept some non-drowsy dramamine handy. I would take one before bed, and one in the morning when I woke up. I found this really helped, since the boat is usually always moving/swaying, etc. I've never used patches or shots.
Hope it helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I've been on many boats, including a couple cruises and never use to get seasick. The last few years, I have felt sick when on a boat, plus have had a few panic attacks in water. We are considering a cruise in September and would like to be prepared if we go.

I remember my grandparents use to cruise every year and get a shot as soon as they got on the ship (I think). Is this the best thing to do or should I see my doctor a day before and get a shot? What is the shot? Or take Dramamine pills with me and just take them if I start to feel sick? Is the patch the best? I also don't want to be passed out the whole time from medication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises